Trip Report Great Garland! Solo Trip in November...It's Totally Tinsel!

Hello folks! I've been back since November 14th but just now getting around to my report.

Here's the lowdown: I'm Amy and I have taken a couple solo trips to Disney World and Disneyland and have gone many times with my hubs, Brad. This was another solo trip. I usually take my solo trips in the Spring but this year Brad is going to go along on my spring trip. So what's a girl to do with a couple personal days and an annual pass....go solo to Disney.

On Halloween my solo trip was almost derailed...long story short my husband missed the last step to the basement steps and fell onto the concrete floor breaking his right ankle in 2 spots. One of the first things he said to me was, "You are not cancelling your trip because of this." Well, I felt like I probably should cancel if he was having difficulty getting around. Well, things worked out and I was still able to go and he survived my absence. I did make sure his meals were all line up before I left.

So back to the trip....

My dates: November 11 to November 14

Resort: All Start Sports (cheap, clean, on property, and cheap)

Since my flight left Minneapolis early on Saturday morning I decided to spend the night near the airport so I didn't have to worry about driving early that morning. I live about an hour and 15 way from the airport, but I'm a worry wort and would rather not have the hassle on the morning of departure.

So on Friday after work I drove to Minneapolis, actually Bloomington where the Mall of America is. I had dinner at Margaritaville and then relaxed in my hotel room. I got to sleep at a decent time and woke up at 4:15 am feeling rested.

My bacon bbq aioli burger from Margaritaville and an Octoberfest Sam Adams beer.
IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

So went I left the hotel on Saturday morning for my less than 5 minute drive to the airport there was a coating of snow on the ground and on my car. As I was brushing off my car I looked up and the salt truck was driving past. Now I was really glad I decided to stay close to airport instead of driving this morning. I am a total wimp in winter driving even though I live in Wisconsin. Even on my short drive I took it slow as I could see some spots looked a little dicey.

I made it there fine and once through security I went to get my coffee at Caribou (so much better than Starbuck and it started in Minnesota). I was happy to see the Reindeer blend was out, this blend is great and only out at Christmas!
IMG_0330.JPG

Shortly after getting my coffee I spent about 10 minutes at the gate before boarding started. I was flying out on Spirit and had splurged for one of the big front seats (extra room!) so I boarded, settled in, and enjoyed my coffee and a doughnut I had brought from home and put on a podcast.

As I was enjoying my coffee my row-mate arrived and sat down, his daughter, a girl in her early 20's boarded with him and was in the aisle seat next to him. About a minute after he sat down, he turned to me and asked if I would switch spots with his daughter because he wanted to sit next to her. I thought, you are sitting next to her she is just across the aisle from you and it isn't like she is a young kid that needs your assistance. He looked put out by my answer and said, "Well I guess you did pay for your spot." I just nodded and went back to my relaxing. He eventually convinced the person sitting next to his daughter to switch and then he slept most of the flight. Whatever, I guess.

So this was my view leaving Minneapolis...
IMG_0331.JPG

And my view when landing in Orlando. It was rainy. Oh well at least it wasn't snow!
IMG_0332.JPG

Then I was greeted with the mob at Magical Express. I was lucky and found a line to the far end that only had a couple people in it. And I was through in a couple minutes and then waited about 20 minutes for my bus to load.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

I might be a little excited. Actually I just did the crazy eyes because it makes Brad laugh.
IMG_0335.JPG

Soon we were boarding...
IMG_0337.JPG

And soon I was home!
IMG_0342.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Whew!! I'm so glad your backpack was in your room! Good idea to keep your necessary meds with you next time.

I know, I was really relieved.
So when are they going to make the beds??? o_O

Seriously, it looks like there is a fitted sheet with no top sheet or blanket. At least bring back the bed runner!!

The beds do look pretty bare don't they. At least they were comfortable though, I like that they are firm.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sweet Sunday! November 12

Time for breakfast! Mickey waffles are the only thing I've ever eaten at the Sports food court. So when I hear people running down the food I can't really comment because I've only had the waffles. But these are delicious! I get the kids meal.
IMG_0414.JPG

Breakfast done...time to head to the Studios.
IMG_3687.JPG

I love when people are allowed into the park and immediately start running only to be stopped by the rope! I love to laugh at them.
IMG_3689.JPG

So when I got up the rope drop area I amused myself with some pictures of details in the area.
IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

Then the rope dropped and off I went to Toy Story with the rest of the herd. I was pleased with my score, and it would continue to improved with other times I'd ride this trip. I'm player 2 by the way, not player 1! :joyfull:
IMG_0417.JPG

I like marking the progress I see of some of the construction I see in the parks. Soon this will be the entrance to Toy Storyland.
IMG_3703.JPG

And hello Sunset Blvd.
IMG_3704.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The new bill boards look a little nicer at night but this is okay.
IMG_3705.JPG

Time to drop by my favorite hotel
IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

After a couple rides on TOT I decided to do single rider on Rock and Roller coaster. I found this on a sign in the queue but after riding I was reminded why I don't do this ride. I had a headache for awhile afterwards, I seem to get headaches on things that go upside down.
IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

I used my fast pass for TOT and then meandered down Sunset and decided on a snack.
IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

My snack was a red velvet whoopie pie from Sweet Spells. I really like this shop and it's whoopie pies. This one was fun because of the Christmas tree shape. The powdered sugar got all over my black shorts though! :hungry::D
IMG_0437.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member
Sweet Sunday! November 12

Time for breakfast! Mickey waffles are the only thing I've ever eaten at the Sports food court. So when I hear people running down the food I can't really comment because I've only had the waffles. But these are delicious! I get the kids meal.
View attachment 247218

Breakfast done...time to head to the Studios.
View attachment 247212

I love when people are allowed into the park and immediately start running only to be stopped by the rope! I love to laugh at them.
View attachment 247213

So when I got up the rope drop area I amused myself with some pictures of details in the area.
View attachment 247214

View attachment 247215

View attachment 247216

View attachment 247217

Then the rope dropped and off I went to Toy Story with the rest of the herd. I was pleased with my score, and it would continue to improved with other times I'd ride this trip. I'm player 2 by the way, not player 1! :joyfull:
View attachment 247219

I like marking the progress I see of some of the construction I see in the parks. Soon this will be the entrance to Toy Storyland.
View attachment 247220

And hello Sunset Blvd.
View attachment 247221

I am glad you clarified which score was yours

Because when you say it improved later I was going to say you couldn't do much worse
(At least I do think you can go negative on TSMM)

Max

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Great pictures!!

As for the backpack story, lesson learned about medicine, etc. I had a carryon that had my pair of backup eyeglasses (I wore contacts all the time, but had eyeglasses as a backup). My plane ticket was in there, too. At some point during the day (my room wasn't ready) someone in bell services threw my bag into another guest's car---they left the hotel!! :jawdrop:

It was the guest who actually drove all the way back to the hotel (get this--it was the Grand Floridian!) and gave my bag to the Bell Captain (24 hours later). They immediately brought it up to my room that (next) day. I also had my contact lens solutions bottles in it, etc., and bell services went to a local pharmacy and had picked up more for me (prior to the guest returning my bag, the following day).

So this all went down about 10 years ago, and ever since then, I've checked a suitcase, but kept my (soft-sided) carryon with me, if my room wasn't ready upon check-in. I've rented a locker inside the park to store it until the room would be ready later on in the day.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Great pictures!!

As for the backpack story, lesson learned about medicine, etc. I had a carryon that had my pair of backup eyeglasses (I wore contacts all the time, but had eyeglasses as a backup). My plane ticket was in there, too. At some point during the day (my room wasn't ready) someone in bell services threw my bag into another guest's car---they left the hotel!! :jawdrop:

It was the guest who actually drove all the way back to the hotel (get this--it was the Grand Floridian!) and gave my bag to the Bell Captain (24 hours later). They immediately brought it up to my room that (next) day. I also had my contact lens solutions bottles in it, etc., and bell services went to a local pharmacy and had picked up more for me (prior to the guest returning my bag, the following day).

So this all went down about 10 years ago, and ever since then, I've checked a suitcase, but kept my (soft-sided) carryon with me, if my room wasn't ready upon check-in. I've rented a locker inside the park to store it until the room would be ready later on in the day.
And the reason you now stay at Swan/Dolphin? ;) :p

joshsprincess921

After Illuminations I decided to roam around the rest of World Showcase and enjoy the music, light crowds, nice weather, and take some pictures. Here are a few of my favorites.
View attachment 246669 View attachment 246670 View attachment 246671

So the after Illuminations music was playing and as I approached Italy the music suddenly stopped and Italy lit up. Still there was no music. I thought that was odd.
View attachment 246672
Then I noticed security lining the front of the pavilion and tv camera. Turns out they were filming stuff for the Disney Fairytale weddings that will be on Freeform. Interesting, I wasn't planning on watching that show but maybe I will now.
View attachment 246673
I also saw these people dressed up, I don't know if they were in the wedding or hosts of the show. So maybe I do have to watch and find out.
View attachment 246674

So after gawking for a bit I continued on my way.
View attachment 246675 View attachment 246676

I have more pictures of my evening World Showcase journey but my husband wants to stream the Packer/Steelers game (he isn't a fan of either team) on his phone and that will slow down the wifi. So it is a wrap for tonight, I'm off to enjoy a Hallmark Christmas movie and a bowl of peppermint ice cream with hot fudge. Hmm, maybe I have an ice cream problem.....Good night!

That's Twitch and Allison Holker from So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing with the Stars. I saw that they are hosting the wedding special.
allison.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Great pictures!!

Good idea about the locker, although I would probably cheap out and just carry it. And crazy story about your bag, that was so nice and honest of that other guest to bring your bag back.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
And the reason you now stay at Swan/Dolphin? ;) :p

Ha! The funny thing was that I had never stayed at the GF before, and I coughed up the money to stay for 3 nights there--figured I needed to live high off the hog at least once, in all the years I've gone to WDW. Needless to say, I haven't stayed there since, but it's really more about the money. I found that the Swan, in particular, is really suited best for me with the location, and far better rates. (P.S.: Also, the Swan has not yet "donated" my luggage out of Bell Services, to departing strangers' cars either, so I'm sticking with them. ;) :joyfull: :D)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good idea about the locker, although I would probably cheap out and just carry it. And crazy story about your bag, that was so nice and honest of that other guest to bring your bag back.

According to the general manager, who spoke to me when the carryon bag had been delivered to my room, the man who returned my bag drove over 100 miles back to the hotel. There are some really decent people out there. :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Continue with the Hollywood Studios tour...
I rode Star Tours and when I came out of the shop I was surprised with the new view or lack there of with all the trees.
IMG_3758.JPG

I thought about having a beer at the new Brewhouse but I decided to watch Muppets.
IMG_3759.JPG

A look at Star Wars land
IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

The line was too long for Chip, so I just grabbed a picture on the go.
IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
It was strange not seeing the Great Movie Ride open and a little sad. I did the Great Movie Ride every trip, it was a must do for me. I'm sure I will enjoy the new attraction that will be put in there but still....
IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

These light decorations are fun to see.
IMG_3777.JPG

I spent some time in One Man's Dream, or whatever they are calling nowadays.
IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

I enjoyed looking at the Toy Story Land model.
IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

And laughed a little at the model they had for Star Wars land since I saw the whole thing on display at D23 and this was just a puny little part on display.
IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

And some Coco stuff on display.
IMG_3800.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom