Great Experience at the Studios Drawing Olaf from Frozen

profscottraynor

Original Poster
This is a must do for us every trip...usually multiple times per trip, ok...usually multiple times per day. lol. A few years ago we went with other Disney vets and they had never done this. Now it's their family favorite and they have also turned other friends on to this wonderful experience. Now, my youngest daughter leaves drawings on my white board in my class for my students to enjoy (and try to copy). I should also note that the girls ALWAYS manage to buy at least one drawing book every trip. They have quite the collection now and I can see a big change in their skills.

I would be proud to display your daughter's art work! What a great job!
I remember way back in the day when this was the kind of activity that you would do at the Disney Institute. What kind of classes do you teach?

Dwarful

I am an elementary teacher...2nd grade with push in students from the self contained autistic classroom. It is amazing to watch these children try their hand at the artwork on the board. I let them draw the pictures and then write about their drawing.

Can I get your professional opinion, Professor Scott? My daughter is a junior in high school, straight As and very motivated. She's also an artist and would like to major in Animation. Would this be be a waste of time and money or do I support her dream?

profscottraynor

Original Poster
Can I get your professional opinion, Professor Scott? My daughter is a junior in high school, straight As and very motivated. She's also an artist and would like to major in Animation. Would this be be a waste of time and money or do I support her dream?

I am sure there will be a number of varying opinions on this board but I'll give you my two cents. I've taught a number of students who had a strong interest in the animation field over the years. Most recently I encourage them to pursue their passion but I also advise them to round out your skills in other visual ways.

Animation relies on good drawing skills and good drawing skills are helpful in a broad range of artistic fields. I also encourage animation students to pursue things like motion graphics and really broaden their visual storytelling abilities.

Animating for Disney is not an easy journey. I know a few animators and it's not like the old days. For the ones who have the Disney obsession I tell them to really take the life drawing classes seriously. If you can draw the human figure convincingly then you will be able to cover almost any Disney character.

The rest of the animation industry is a fast growing/quickly changing hodge-podge. Many companies farm the animation out overseas but many small shops are getting some traction again in the US.

My advice is to let her pursue it. Something else will probably grow out of it but she will discover a lot about herself and who she is artistically by trying it.

75disney

Been to Disney many times, saw the line for this, never did it. On our mist recent trip in Nov., we had time to kill before our dinner reservation, so we decided to give it a try. It was one of the coolest things we did the whole trip. We got to draw Mike. We all had fun. The kids wanted to do it again, but we didn't have time that day. We will definitely do it again on our next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom