Great books to read on Disney.....

Badger Brent

Original Poster
I'm going on a week's vacation soon ( not to WDW!!) and would like some reading material. What books would you suggest to read? I'm really interested in Walt himself, WDW, and behind the scenes and such. Thanks.....

Steamboat_Kevin

600th post...
Hello fellow Wisconsinite! hehe
I really enjoy the Disney Imagineering book, there's a lot of behind the scenes photos and concept art.
-Kevin

yensid66

I like the book about Disney Architecture, it is very interesting and goes into things that you don't generally see elsewhere. Sorry, I can't remember the exact name, but you will know it when you see it.

Ijones88

If you can still find it, try "Since the World began". It has blueprints, the story of how Walt acquired the land in Fl and pictures of the park being built as well as numerous other things....very good book.

lentesta

Premium Member
The Epcot book by James Beard is very good. It's a "what might have been" for that park. The original plans for Africa and Japan were very interesting.

"Since the World Began" is very colorful - I think they do a spread of the different trash can designs in each land that show the lengths to which Imagineering will go to make sure stuff blends in well. A good read.

Sincerely,

Len

Brett

"Since the World Began" was a gift someone gave me for my last birthday. Probably my favorite gift. Great visual, great writing, and, hey, a great subject. Give it a try.

Tigggrl

The First 100 Years is now in paperback, its a wonderful addition to any library...or the Walt Autobiography, or Building a Company....

Jon_in_NC

I agree with some of the other posters:

Since the World Began is one of my favorites. You can sometimes find this one on ebay for $8 to $15 in brand new condition.

Also, Disney: the First 100 Years is great. I just got the updated paperback version from buy.com for only $15. The listed price is $19, but Amazon has it cheaper. After you place your order with buy.com, do a price match against Amazon.com request. Buy.com will match Amazon's price, give you an extra 10% off, plus free shipping.

I also have:

Making Disney's Animal Kingdom
100 Years of Magic Souvenir Book
Disney Imagineering
EPCOT Center (1982 book)
WDW A Magical Year by Year Journey (1998 Edition)
WDW 25 Years
1986 WDW Souvenir Book

Those are all good also, but SInce the World Began and The First 100 Years are my favorites.

Hope you find a good one to read....

Bryy2001

"Of Mice and Magic" is a good book, more of a history of animation and the Disney Company, but good none the less.
Also a good animation history book is Stephen Kanfer's "Serious Business."
"The Art of Walt Disney" by Finch is also good with lots of great pictures.

TiggersPooh

A few months ago I read a biography on Walt Disney...I think I had a topic in this forum about it...

anyways i believe it was titled "The Magic Kingdoms"....OMG I forgot the rest of the title...I am of no use here I am LOL sorry

meekoman

Another Wisconsinite here...

Another good book is "One Day at Disney". I think it is out of print, but I think you can find it fairly inexpensively.

I leave in 3 weeks to wdw!!!!

Dizknee_Phreek

"Walt Disney: An American Original" is hands down, one of the best biographies about Walt. i read it for my AP US History class last year, and by the time i was finished, i was bawling. it gave such a personal look into the life of Walt that I couldn't help but feel a connection to Walt himself (as corny as that may sound) it's definately a must read!

VILLAINSRULE

The BOb Thomas books on Walt and Roy are fantastic. It is amazing how they built the Disney company up from literally nothing! The books are amazing because you get a real feel for the Disney brothers after reading these books.
Dont read Prince of Darkness, it is a bunch of bologna, and very poorly written........tabloid fodder in book form!:cry:
enjoy your trip!

Sketch105

Originally posted by yensid66
I like the book about Disney Architecture, it is very interesting and goes into things that you don't generally see elsewhere. Sorry, I can't remember the exact name, but you will know it when you see it.

Its called "Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The architecture of Reassurance". Its big, yellow, and has a blueprint of Cinderella's Castle (from WDW).

David Koenig has some great books on Disneyland called Mouse Tales, More Mouse Tales, and Mouse under glass (Disney animation). Excellent behind the scenes tales and stories that were researched and taken from interviews with actual Disney cast members.

Another great one on Disney architecture is called "Building a Dream"

DizChick73

I'm not sure if it's out yet, but I know there's a new Walt Disney World Trivia book coming out. I read about it on disneyworldtrivia.com. Sounds fun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom