Gravity Wheel Not Turning at Mission: SPACE

articos

I think that fixing the planets is planned as part of the refurb going on this summer for Astro Orbitor. Of course, the proof will be based on what actually happens. I do think that things seemed to have improved under George K in terms of repairing broken effects, even if only slightly.
Unless they find more than they were bargaining for when they tear the structure apart, Astro is planned to get its planets back.

Zac Skellington

How is this surprising? How long has the Yeti been broken? Repairs and maintenance that don't affect the guest's safety or cause the attraction to be inoperable appear to fallen into the "why should we bother to fix it? These people will still pay $100 a day to ride broken attractions" category.
I think you missed the sarcasm...

PeterMarcus

The bearing in the motor is shot or something to that effect. It cannot be fixed because the entire wheel needs to be taken out of the building in order to do so. Why? I have no idea other than it seems Disney is consistent with building irrepairable major show props.

Does anyone have some diagrams for the wheel? If the motor is off to the side, the motor can probably be replaced, but if there's a central axis with a bad bearing (or if it sits on several bearings and rotates in place), it might actually need to have the wheel removed to fix it.

MagicByPencil

LOL at the sinkhole comment. So many jokes revolve around it.

Garden Grill no longer spins. Atleast that restaurant was our most visited during my childhood. :D

Tom Morrow

Hopefully it's stuck in a position where this image is upright:
5722488323_b35516f32e_z.jpg

Anyone know?
Unfortunately, last I saw it, the logo was sideways. :/

dstrawn9889

Does anyone have some diagrams for the wheel? If the motor is off to the side, the motor can probably be replaced, but if there's a central axis with a bad bearing (or if it sits on several bearings and rotates in place), it might actually need to have the wheel removed to fix it.
tunnel_boring_machine_6.jpg

if this can be serviced sitting 45 meters below the seabed in the middle of the darn straight between england and france, then a rotating wheel above-ground can be repaired 'in-situ'

aladdin2007

articos what about the strong rumor over in the garden grill thread that it will remain dormant and not be fixed, never to revolve again according to some.

mp2bill

It will not be getting fixed. It hasn't been turning for at least 2 years. I worked at Mission: Space on a college program from January to July 2013 and was told that it had stopped turning either the March or May of the year before. The bearing in the motor is shot or something to that effect. It cannot be fixed because the entire wheel needs to be taken out of the building in order to do so. Why? I have no idea other than it seems Disney is consistent with building irrepairable major show props. Apparently the ceiling above it opens up so it can be lifted out but they built the building around the wheel and there are several I-beams in the way that would prevent it from being lifted out and you can see that for yourself especially from the FP and standby merge point.
Yeah, it wasn't working when I was there in September either.

Seabasealpha1

Anyone have pictures of the construction? Like is there a big photo somewhere of a big crane dropping a HUGE gravity wheel in the middle of the structure? Seems like there ought to be some way to fix it.

Heck...just fill it with hamsters...

Everyone loves hamsters...

6490_4.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom