Graphics Card

brertigger

utrythinkinof1 said:
I'm glad you introduced me to that. Okay so it says I have an Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller with Approx. Total memory of 96.0 MB Know wonder RCT3 runs so slow. Does this mean I need to buy a new graphics card and a new RAM stick. Ugh. This will add up to a lot of money.:(

Since it says Intel... Graphics Controller, this means it is onboard video.

It does appear that you will probably need more video memory for RCT3.
You COULD probably get by with just upgrading the video card for now, and upgrade your system memory later in the year.

utrythinkinof1

Original Poster
brertigger said:
Since it says Intel... Graphics Controller, this means it is onboard video.

It does appear that you will probably need more video memory for RCT3.
You COULD probably get by with just upgrading the video card for now, and upgrade your system memory later in the year.

And how would I do that? :cry: I am so clueless :veryconfu :brick:

brertigger

utrythinkinof1 said:
And how would I do that? :cry: I am so clueless :veryconfu :brick:
1. turn off computer
2. unplug all cables
3. lay computer on side, facing up.
4. slide and hold the latch (should be L shaped) downwards (latch is on the back of the computer.
5. while still holding latch downwards, slide Dell door off.
6. You will notice that there are several blank metal plates that are screwed to the case on the back wall of the case. Unscrew the one that is for the AGP slot.
7. The AGP slot looks like
cards2.jpg

8. Press the card lever toward the PCI connector and gently press the card into the AGP connector until it clicks into place.
9. Release the card lever, ensuring that the tab fits into the notch on the front end of the card.
10. Secure the card using the securing screw.
11. Replace the case cover and reconnect all cords.

utrythinkinof1

Original Poster
brertigger said:
1. turn off computer
2. unplug all cables
3. lay computer on side, facing up.
4. slide and hold the latch (should be L shaped) downwards (latch is on the back of the computer.
5. while still holding latch downwards, slide Dell door off.
6. You will notice that there are several blank metal plates that are screwed to the case on the back wall of the case. Unscrew the one that is for the AGP slot.
7. The AGP slot looks like
cards2.jpg

8. Press the card lever toward the PCI connector and gently press the card into the AGP connector until it clicks into place.
9. Release the card lever, ensuring that the tab fits into the notch on the front end of the card.
10. Secure the card using the securing screw.
11. Replace the case cover and reconnect all cords.

Okay. Thank you SOOO much. Okay I don't understand steps 8 and 9. It is showing you how to connect the new graphics card or how to take it out? Or is this for the RAM sticks?:veryconfu

darthdarrel

utrythinkinof1 said:
Okay. Thank you SOOO much. Okay I don't understand steps 8 and 9. It is showing you how to connect the new graphics card or how to take it out? Or is this for the RAM sticks?:veryconfu

Have you thought of calling Best buys Geek Squad?:veryconfu

wannab@dis

darthdarrel said:
Have you thought of calling Best buys Geek Squad?:veryconfu
That may be a good idea. :D

You don't necessarily need a new computer. Your current PC is just fine but is starving for some more power. If you have a friend that has built a computer before, get them to help you some. It sounds like your computer has an 8x AGP slot which is just fine for a high end graphics card. The pciExpress is not a requirement.

If you can find someone to help you, I would suggest that you visit www.newegg.com and purchase 1GB of PC3200 DDR Ram and a new AGP4/8x video card. There's many flavors of video cards that you can get, but something around $150 will be a MAJOR improvement.

Good luck! :wave:

darthdarrel

wannab@dis said:
That may be a good idea. :D

You don't necessarily need a new computer. Your current PC is just fine but is starving for some more power. If you have a friend that has built a computer before, get them to help you some. It sounds like your computer has an 8x AGP slot which is just fine for a high end graphics card. The pciExpress is not a requirement.

If you can find someone to help you, I would suggest that you visit www.newegg.com and purchase 1GB of PC3200 DDR Ram and a new AGP4/8x video card. There's many flavors of video cards that you can get, but something around $150 will be a MAJOR improvement.

Good luck! :wave:
1gig?:lookaroun
I have 1 gig of ram and it just is not enough for some of the new games coming out. Heck I need atleast 512mb more just to get my Star wars galaxies running right!
:cry:

brertigger

I am glad to help you out. This picture is showing how to install the new graphics card. I can give you detailed instructions (with pictures) on how to install the RAM, if you would like.

I am going to try to clarify steps 8 & 9. Here is a little bit better picture.
As step 1 in the new picture shows, you will have a lever to flip (labeled in my other picture as card clip lever).
a. Flip it AWAY from the card prior to installing card.
b. Position the card in the selected slot (see (2) on figure below). Ensure that the notch, on the bottom right corner of the card, engages the latch.
c. Press down on the card until it is completely seated in the slot.
d. Flip the latch TOWARDS the card. It should firmly secure the card in place
Chap4-35.gif

I am not sure how your exact motherboard is designed, but you may have a small near the lever (mentioned above). You will need to pull that in whichever direction (different on each system) to create a gap so the fits. This is not required on all motherboards. This information is only if you run into problems.

I agree- you'll probably not need a new system. With some upgrades, your current system can run at amazingly better speeds and much better performance.

utrythinkinof1

Original Poster
brertigger said:
I am glad to help you out. This picture is showing how to install the new graphics card. I can give you detailed instructions (with pictures) on how to install the RAM, if you would like.

I am going to try to clarify steps 8 & 9. Here is a little bit better picture.
As step 1 in the new picture shows, you will have a lever to flip (labeled in my other picture as card clip lever).
a. Flip it AWAY from the card prior to installing card.
b. Position the card in the selected slot (see (2) on figure below). Ensure that the notch, on the bottom right corner of the card, engages the latch.
c. Press down on the card until it is completely seated in the slot.
d. Flip the latch TOWARDS the card. It should firmly secure the card in place
Chap4-35.gif

I am not sure how your exact motherboard is designed, but you may have a small near the lever (mentioned above). You will need to pull that in whichever direction (different on each system) to create a gap so the fits. This is not required on all motherboards. This information is only if you run into problems.

I agree- you'll probably not need a new system. With some upgrades, your current system can run at amazingly better speeds and much better performance.

Thank you so much! And everyone for their help. I THINK this is ONE of my last questions.....how do you open the big box thing(this is how little knowlodge I have of the computer:lookaroun ) that has the mother board inside? Is it from the back or on one of the sides or on the front. I'm thinking the back because that is the only place with screws, etc....:lookaroun

EDIT: And looking at the back, there are A LOT of things to unscrew....wow...

brertigger

utrythinkinof1 said:
Thank you so much! And everyone for their help. I THINK this is ONE of my last questions.....how do you open the big box thing(this is how little knowlodge I have of the computer:lookaroun ) that has the mother board inside? Is it from the back or on one of the sides or on the front. I'm thinking the back because that is the only place with screws, etc....:lookaroun

EDIT: And looking at the back, there are A LOT of things to unscrew....wow...
You will not have to unscrew anything to open the case. Dell did a nice job designing that part of the case.
dell-dimension-4600_back.jpg
See the backwards L part, on the right hand side of the picture? All you will need to do is push the backwards L switch downwards. Then grip the side panel (the side panel near the L) and slide it away from the front, towards the back.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not, post your questions.

utrythinkinof1

Original Poster
I want to keep this thread for future reference, but after it goes through the 9 pages of Chit Chat will it disappear or will it be in an archive?

wannab@dis

utrythinkinof1 said:
I want to keep this thread for future reference, but after it goes through the 9 pages of Chit Chat will it disappear or will it be in an archive?
Check your Control Panel (UserCP)... if you have threads auto subscribing, then you're already subscribed to this thread. If not, you can subscribe under "Thread Tools" on the bar at the top of this thread. Once you are subscribed, you can click on UserCP and see your subscribed threads. You may need to view all your subscribed threads to see threads without any recent activity.

:wave:

LSUxStitch

I would suggest going to CompUSA or BestBuy Geek Squad, since you seem a little clueless on the interiors of a computer. In no way is that a put down b/c a lot of people are like that. I just finished building my new computer myself (first time YAY!) and it was about 700 dollars or so, and its a really nice system.

Good Luck.

wdwishes2005

Very important. If you do install these yourself, be SURE to touch something metal before ANY chip in your computer. Not doing so may cause the static to fry the chip rendering it useless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom