Grandparents taking grandchildren to Disney

Pucks104

Original Poster
We have a granddaughter who will turn 5 this Nov. We are considering planning a trip for 7 nights to WDW with just her if her parents will let us take her without them. Is she too young to go without her parents? She lives being with us but a week might be too long. What are the must do’s for a 5 year old girl? I don’t think at this point that she is even aware that there is a place called Disney World. I know she has seen Frozen but not sure if she has seen any other full length Disney movies. Our daughter and son-in-law are pretty restrictive about what they allow her to watch. Anyway, any suggestions about visiting WDW as grandparents with a grandchild?

RememberWhen

Has she stayed with you before for several days? If not, I would try that first. And will you have to fly with her?

I have a 6 year old who also hasn’t seen may Disney movies, but we’ve been several times and it’s never been a problem. Disney has so much fun stuff and it’s neat to meet the characters even if you don’t know who they are.

My mom has offered to take my kiddo, and I would be willing for them to go, but my son doesn’t want to go without us.

I’d talk to the parents and maybe the granddaughter and see what they think.

Pucks104

Original Poster
She’s only stayed a couple of nights with us at a time. She seems to enjoy it. We both still work so we are always trying to work around everyone’s schedules. I will talk to my daughter first just to see whether or not she and our son-in-law would even consider it. And yes we would have to fly which she has not experienced.

RememberWhen

If it all works out do some googling about traveling with grandchildren. You should make sure you have a copy of her birth certificate, all her insurance information, any prescriptions she may have, as well as a letter from her parents (notarized) stating she can travel with you.

It sounds like an amazing memory for all of you. I hope her parents are on board!

ScarletBegonias

My Daughter went without me last year with my parents. If it were her one and only trip to Disney, i'd never allow it, but she's already been several times, and will go again. I was really upset to not be with her, and regretted it once she was there. My parents also spend a TON of time with her and watched her overnight a lot. A child that hasn't been away from their parents much might have harder time with it.

boilerpicc

Here are some of my daughter's favorite things:

Pretty much every ride in the Magic Kingdom
Character meet and greets
Disney Junior Dance Party - even if she hasn't seen the shows, she will still like it
Playground area in the line for Dumbo - best line ever
Enchanted Tales with Belle
Turtle Talk with Crush
Journey Into Imagination with Figment
Princess Makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Pirate Adventure Cruise
Evening Campfires and Movies if you are staying at a Disney resort
Pony rides/Hayrides at Fort Wilderness

Lil' Engine

It sounds like an amazing memory for all of you. I hope her parents are on board![/QUOTE]
If it all works out do some googling about traveling with grandchildren. You should make sure you have a copy of her birth certificate, all her insurance information, any prescriptions she may have, as well as a letter from her parents (notarized) stating she can travel with you.

It sounds like an amazing memory for all of you. I hope her parents are on board!

All great info! Very important is a power of attorney letter that gives you right to approve any needed emergency care. Have a terrific time with the GKids!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom