Grand Floridian vs Contemporary

RAMBLER5678

Going down to WDW the week before christmas.Since we have a small child we decided to splurge on a deluxe property to use the monorail. We currently have a reservation at the GF since with our AAA rate it was only $187 more for a lagoon view at the GF vs a tower view at the Cont. We would like to hear from others that have visted both propertys. Since we usually stay at the moderate resorts when we vist.

SpectroMan

I have only stayed at the Grand Floridian, but I have visited the Contemporary.

Unlike many people, I think the Grand Floridian is a place where kids love to stay. I stayed here when I was five, and I loved it. I also have had cousins that have stayed here when they were young and loved it too.

The Grand Floridian is warm and magnificent compared to the old, cold Contemporary. You and your children will both find the Grand Floridian an amazing resort.

Upvote 0

fngoofy

Hi there,
Congrats on going to WDW, you'll have a blast (though that is the BUSIEST time of the yr to go, get out early early and take a break mid day.)

I have stayed at the Contemporary 6 times and the GF once (4 of the Contemp times there was no GF).

Let me preface what I am about to say with this; the Contemporary is a very cool resort. It is fun (especialy in the tower) and I think the concorse steak house blows any restaurant in GF away.

Now let me say this;
The GF is the best darn resort out there. The place is very pretty and has all the other amenities (such as marina, monorail, and room service)

I think the Contemporary has quite a bit of sentamental value to most of its die hard fans. Back in the day it was the tops of the WDW resorts.

p.s.
Having just been down to WDW in May, let me share one tip with you that is a bit off subj.:
Get a rental car, nothing fancy, we did a week for about $140.
It was so worth it that we said that even the next time we stay at a monorail resort (we were at CBR this time) that we would want the car for getting to Disney Studios, DTD, other resorts, or mini golf.
It makes it soooo much nicer to have the mobility and freedom to get in and out of non-monorail sites at our leisure.

Have fun, and definatly go with the GF (but be prepared for some fussy menus at their restaruants {I like upscale dining, but there was literaly nothing that sounded all that good at GFs restaurants, but I also thought that about Contemps place on the top of the tower, the California Grill...just too fussy}

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

Our family has stayed at both resorts and both are great. However, with a small child my experience has been that a tower room at the Contemp is very exciting for them because they LOVE to watch the monorail enter and exit the building. My son would rush onto the balcony to see which color monorail was there. We also loved to watch the characters at Chef Mickey's during breakfast and dinner from the inside balcony. The rooms are decorated in bright primary colors as well, which seemed to catch the kids attention.

Upvote 0

Scooter

I have stayed at both places and in your situation I would recommend the Contemporary Resort.

As someone said before, kids get a huge thrill out of that Monorail going though the Grand Canyon Concourse. Staying in a tower room you never have to step outside to catch the monorail.

The Contemporary also has a nice Playground outside for the kids and a baby sitting service if you, the adults, want to get away for a bit.

Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary has one of the finest Character meals on property. Every meal is a celebration with hand clapping and napkin waving and a close up view of Mickey, Goofy, and their Pals.

The Food and fun Center on the first floor is a colorful place for the kids to eat with a very large room next door filled with lots of differant video games to play. The also have pool tables and air hockey if the adults want to play along. (No one has beaten me at Air Hockey as of yet. hehehe ) :lol:

While I think the Grand Floridian is a beautiful resort with alot to offer and is accomodating with kids, it is my opinnion that The Contemporary Resort is much more kid friendly.

Upvote 0

RAMBLER5678

Original Poster
Thanks for the great information that has been givin so far. I guess I should have said baby instead of small child. My daughter will be 7 months old by the time we vist in December.So i guess this is more of a trip for her momma and daddy.We wanted a resort on the monorail so we could get around easier with her than by taking the bus or driving to the parks.

Upvote 0

Djali999

both the GF and Contemporary are about the same type of commute if you're headed off to Epcot, the real difference is how much time you intend to spend at Magic Kingdom. once you're on the monorail at GF, you're inside the MK within five minutes. the quickest way to get from Contemporary to MK is to walk it, which takes about 10 minutes. I like walking, but as you have a child in arms (or in a stroller) it may not be a best solution.

and rent a car. monorail will only take you so many places...

Upvote 0

maxime29

Premium Member
Both hotels are good. Your child would love Chef Mickeys at Contemporary or 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian. Unfortunately, the pool wouldn't be an option in December, which I would have recommended Grand Floridian for that. Also if you prefer, you get complementary access to the spa and health club if you stay at the Grand Floridian.

and rent a car. monorail will only take you so many places...

That depends on if you plan to go off Disney property. The buses would take you anywhere on Disney property.

Upvote 0

lebernadin

I think you'll get a good amount of responses from die hard Contemporary fans since its truly a cult resort.

But out of these two, i'd take the Grand every time. For our tastes, there isn't anything appealing about the Contemporary except for the occasional meal at the California Grill.

Few things:

Someone mentioned that the Grand has a marina as a selling point, well the Contemporary does as well, just to clarify. Also, someone said they liked the fact they don't have to go outside to catch the Monorail at the Contemporary, well if you're referring to being in the middle of a downpour, that isn't a problem at the Grand either, as the walkway from the lobby to the Grand's monorail stop is covered. Lastly, i'm doubting that the person who prefers the Concourse Steakhouse to "any" of the restaurants at the Grand has actually eaten at any of them. We all have our own tastes/palates, but from a Culinary standpoint, what the chefs at the Grand are doing dwarfs what those at the Concourse fire up.

I think the Grand is great if you're going to utilize everything that it has to offer, from the pool to the beach to the Spa etc...but for people who are rarely at their hotel except for sleeping/showering then you should probably ask yourself if its worth it. Because when we pay the exorbitant rates, we're paying for all those extras.

I'd say stick with your res at the Grand. Our kids cost us more and more as the years go by, so if money is tight, this might be the most opportune time to stay in one of the finer resorts.

Upvote 0

MOMI2KIDS

We loved the Grand floridian. We stayed there last month with my DH and 2 kiddos, 4 and 6. It was so nice to get on the monorail and get to MK in minutes.
We could see the wishes fireworks from our balcony evrey nite. My kids loved that and are counting the days until out next trip.
We spent most of our trip at the MK. One trip to MGM and one to AK. The buses were quick.
Nice place to stay with kids. Make sure you get Priority seatings for 1900 parke fare, very nice.

Lisa

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

With a little kid, I think the tower room would be great. Imagine the look on their face when they open the balcony and see the Magic Kingdom. I don't think it is going to get better than that.

Upvote 0
Gf

I personally think that the GF is better than the Contemporary...hands down! The rooms are all spectacular, as well as all the dining and the view from Cinderella's Castle, you can even hear the howling from HM! There is a reason why they call the GF "Disney's crown jewel" I have stayed at the GF a few times and can honestly say that I have had a terrific expierience at the GF. I will actually be visiting again on December 26, for 7 days at the Lodge Tower, main building, Marina View...I will let you all know how it goes. The GF is very big on detail, they have great nightly turn-down service, that just really makes you feel special. Although the price is a bit much I will tell you now it is worth every single penny paid.

Upvote 0

Scooter

lebernadin said:
I think you'll get a good amount of responses from die hard Contemporary fans since its truly a cult resort.

A cult resort?

What the heck is THAT?

I have stayed at 5 Disney Resorts and Love them ALL! I just recommended the Contemporary because I think it's more "Kid Friendly"

Now that I know her child is only 7 months old I would change my answer.
Originally the term "Small child" was mentioned so i thought she had a toddler or a grade schooler. If that was the case I would have stood by my original post and said Contemporary.

Alot of people on this board think the Contemporary Resort is old and tired and not themed well. Well that may be true to some extent, but with all the amenities I STILL think it's the best resort for young children because of it's close proximity to The Magic Kindgom, the playground, the game room, and Chef Mickeys.

Upvote 0

Mikey4WDW

Hello to all, don't know if this will be of any help. I haven't stayed at the Contemporary but have stayed at the Grand Floridian. I stayed at the GF, the very first time that my (now x-wife), our son and myself went to Disney World in April of 1989. We were pleasantly overwhelmed by it's elegance and the beautiful Victorian Architecture. We loved the swimming pool and the grounds.The Gazebo-styled "Narcoosie's" restaurant had very good food (at least when we went). I have been to Disney World many times since then and haven't stayed there again, but, that is only because I love trying new hotels whenever I travel anywhere. At that time though, there were no discounts and I paid $305.00 per night. We stayed there 9 nights. We felt that it was worth what we paid.

Upvote 0

Mikey4WDW

I will, probably; some day, stay at the Contemporary. I hope they never tear it down. I do imagine that for those who have stayed there in the early days that it does have some sentimental value. I love riding the monorail system and going right through the hotel. that's cool to me.

Upvote 0

lebernadin

A cult resort?

What the heck is THAT?

You followed up these questions with the answer; its a dull old resort, yet tons of people will always stay there regardless. The building itself is ugly, the new decor isn't a contemporary that most people would design for themselves and yet it still has great occupancy.

Its obvious you have the Branch Davidians or something similar in your head, but the term "cult" is widely used to describe things like the Contemporary, Poly, COP, Horizons etc that have groupies that relate to something on a higher level than the rest of us.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom