Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

Brad Bishop

Random thought, is there enough room between GF and MK to put in a new resort or and expansion to the GF? New walking path and new road might be the beginning of a bigger plan.

I hadn't thought about it but you could shoe-horn a resort on the West coast of the canal. It could be a premium resort overlooking the Magic Kingdom.. Sightlines? They gave up on those so this is possible.

Brad Bishop

A few thoughts:

1) I wonder if this is a response to the 40th, which Disney didn't seem to care about, where people were walking up World Drive to get to the entrance to the MK (and eventually get a cupcake).

2) I REALLY like the idea of having a path all the way around the lake. It makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe everyone isn't going to walk from the Poly to the MK but they may walk from the Poly to the Contemporary instead of taking a chance on the Monorail (now boasting a 57.4% uptime!)

3) It could be a path around the lagoon slowly developing into a Boardwalk sort of area with shops, stands, etc. Maybe you can't build a hotel on some of that land but I'd bet you could build restaurants, bars, and shops. Done well this could be really nice.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A few thoughts:

1) I wonder if this is a response to the 40th, which Disney didn't seem to care about, where people were walking up World Drive to get to the entrance to the MK (and eventually get a cupcake).

2) I REALLY like the idea of having a path all the way around the lake. It makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe everyone isn't going to walk from the Poly to the MK but they may walk from the Poly to the Contemporary instead of taking a chance on the Monorail (now boasting a 57.4% uptime!)

3) It could be a path around the lagoon slowly developing into a Boardwalk sort of area with shops, stands, etc. Maybe you can't build a hotel on some of that land but I'd bet you could build restaurants, bars, and shops. Done well this could be really nice.
I wonder if they would use the path for races. The run Disney stuff is super popular. Not sure if the draw bridge would cause a bottleneck for a race.

Sky

I still don’t understand the idea about the full running loop around the Lagoon. This flies in the face of pushing security away from the MK entrance. So to run the loop you’d have to go through security, what, twice? Seems like there’d be little to no ROI on building a loop path with the infrastructure to stay completely out of the secure areas.

jt04

I wonder if they would use the path for races. The run Disney stuff is super popular. Not sure if the draw bridge would cause a bottleneck for a race.

A draw bridge or swing bridge would very rarely be opened. They might even be relocating the WP as part of this. IMO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I still don’t understand the idea about the full running loop around the Lagoon. This flies in the face of pushing security away from the MK entrance. So to run the loop you’d have to go through security, what, twice? Seems like there’d be little to no ROI on building a loop path with the infrastructure to stay completely out of the secure areas.
There would be a larger investment to make it a complete loop. Right now GF to Poly to TTC exists. They would need to connect TTC back to MK from the other end to complete the loop. They could possibly have the path follow the World Drive sidewalk and use the tunnel under the canal that connects Bay Lake to Seven Seas Lagoon to avoid another bridge and then either build a new path to connect back to where the bus stops are or just have it connect up to the CR walkway to MK. If they use that walkway it would mean passing through security.

Does anyone know if the new security setup will allow for a path right by the docks that would still be before passing through security? It doesn’t today but I thought they are supposed to be redoing the layout.
A draw bridge or swing bridge would very rarely be opened. They might even be relocating the WP as part of this. IMO.
Not a bottleneck because it’s open but a bottleneck because it’s more narrow.

Edit: if they made the path follow the red line below is the yellow circles going to remain security or is that moving closer to the docks?
0DDC1DEF-470A-453A-B0A5-675512A9DCAC.jpeg

jrhwdw

Haven't looked thorugh all 10 pages: Do we know for a fact that EWP is staying and this will just be a folding bridge like at Epcot for their Nighttime Spectacular setup?

jt04

There would be a larger investment to make it a complete loop. Right now GF to Poly to TTC exists. They would need to connect TTC back to MK from the other end to complete the loop. They could possibly have the path follow the World Drive sidewalk and use the tunnel under the canal that connects Bay Lake to Seven Seas Lagoon to avoid another bridge and then either build a new path to connect back to where the bus stops are or just have it connect up to the CR walkway to MK. If they use that walkway it would mean passing through security.

Does anyone know if the new security setup will allow for a path right by the docks that would still be before passing through security? It doesn’t today but I thought they are supposed to be redoing the layout.

One of my theories is this will be wider than what most are assuming.

jt04

If it is as big as the one at EPCOT then no issue.
View attachment 389883

Just some possibilities...

It could be a permanent earthen bridge with the water pageant relocating or ending. This might also help keep alligators from coming and going into ssl.

Could be a temporary tram road to allow for work on the monorail beams.

Could be a permanent tram route to add transportation capacity and backup during downtime and/or peak demand.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Not just flags, but some sheet pilings which would be the first step in building the bridge foundation.

Haven't looked thorugh all 10 pages: Do we know for a fact that EWP is staying and this will just be a folding bridge like at Epcot for their Nighttime Spectacular setup?

EWP isn't the only issue with a permenant bridge, this is also the only route to get the the river boat to dry dock.

Clamman73

Edit: if they made the path follow the red line below is the yellow circles going to remain security or is that moving closer to the docks?
View attachment 389882
Probably they will go through the new GF/Poly boat security screening.
77233547-6561-48BD-8C75-B85C37D699F6.jpeg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just some possibilities...

It could be a permanent earthen bridge with the water pageant relocating or ending. This might also help keep alligators from coming and going into ssl.

Could be a temporary tram road to allow for work on the monorail beams.

Could be a permanent tram route to add transportation capacity and backup during downtime and/or peak demand.

For storm water control reasons, they probably wouldn't close off that canal completely. If they move the EWP somewhere else, they could put in a not openable bridge that could be removed with a crane on those rare occasions when they need to get the riverboat out.

s8film40

They might even be relocating the WP as part of this. IMO.
I highly doubt they would move the EWP. That would be a lot of work and money for no real benefit. I do think it could possibly close periodically during construction.

View attachment 389882
Theres already a path from the Contemporary, they just need to make a more established path to there and then guests could use the existing walkway to MK.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For storm water control reasons, they probably wouldn't close off that canal completely. If they move the EWP somewhere else, they could put in a not openable bridge that could be removed with a crane on those rare occasions when they need to get the riverboat out.
They could also permanently dock the river boat and make it a restaurant :arghh::arghh::arghh:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder how they will connect the GF side. Putting in a second bridge right by the lagoon wouldn't make much sense since it would drop you right onto an access road. I am guessing the may follow that path that is already there up to Floridian way and then create path that connects it to the convention center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom