Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For those inquiring about the term "dewatering"; The construction definition pretty much matches Websters. It means to remove water.

What that can entail when it comes to construction is damming off an area like a canal, lake or a portion of either and removing the water for construction work. More commonly it is a system used to lower groundwater levels to prevent flooding of an excavation site. Lastly, it can also be a combination of the two.

In Florida, dewatering is pretty much par for the course for any decent size excavation.

The drawing below is of a typical groundwater lowering dewatering system.

A-well-point-dewatering-system-for-a-shallow-excavation.ppm

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I thought of that too, and it definitely could be just for that path to nowhere. However, the permit is for Large construction, indicating it will affect more than 5 acres of land. Even doing a very generous measurement around the path I was only able to get to about 4.5 acres. And yes, it's also possible it could affect more than 5 acres in that area alone, but if they're just modifying that path it seems unlikely unless they're tearing out a bunch more land than I've already highlighted below.

rvHwExF.png

i5V8vZh.png

Also, I just noticed that there is a separate de-watering permit for the MK entrance project.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For those inquiring about the term "dewatering"; The construction definition pretty much matches Websters. It means to remove water.

What that can entail when it comes to construction is damming off an area like a canal, lake or a portion of either and removing the water for construction work. More commonly it is a system used to lower groundwater levels to prevent flooding of an excavation site. Lastly, it can also be a combination of the two.

In Florida, dewatering is pretty much par for the course for any decent size excavation.

The drawing below is of a typical groundwater lowering dewatering system.

A-well-point-dewatering-system-for-a-shallow-excavation.ppm
Right...

But it can be temporary...which would likely be the case here.

ThatMouse

They used to store the water pageant in the canal behind the camp ground at the far end of what used to be the beach. They could move it again. I also concur that dewatering is for removing ground water, nothing to do with the lake or canal. You do it to put in sewer pipes and pour cement foundations. When you see PVC pipe with a bunch of valves like maybe it could be an irrigation system, I think that's dewatering.

KeithVH

The project name on the permit is “Grand Floridian to MK walkway”. Maybe I’m reading into it too much but I assume that means the walkway would connect Grand Floridian with MK.

Yeah, I see . But I also don't see where the path will exist or actually connect to the GF grounds. I'm just not seeing enough empty space.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, I see . But I also don't see where the path will exist or actually connect to the GF grounds. I'm just not seeing enough empty space.
I’m not saying it will definitely be a walking path, but it would be pretty easy to convert the dirt road to a walking path. The ground is already cleared and level. Just need some pavers or asphalt if they want to save a few bucks.

SomeInternetGuy

When the permit application gets added to the system in a few days (hopefully by mid next week) we should have a better picture of the scope of this project. That document will contain the exact amount of acreage being disturbed. All we know at this point is that it's more than 5 acres because it's a "Large Construction" permit. It'll be interesting to see how big this really is, and that should (hopefully) answer the question of whether or not this will make it all the way to the Grand Floridian.

Although ideally, a SFWMD permit will be filed before then and contain the actual plan sheets :)

jrogue

Honestly I'd use the heck out of this bridge from the Poly if this were made. I didn't think I'd walk back to the Contemporary every night when I stayed there but I did, and I bet many nights or midday trips back to the resort I'd use it too. Gives a nice third option to get back, esp if monorails are out of service

KeithVH

I’m not saying it will definitely be a walking path, but it would be pretty easy to convert the dirt road to a walking path. The ground is already cleared and level. Just need some pavers or asphalt if they want to save a few bucks.
I guess the question then becomes one of losing the dock and equipment storage. Now that the bungalows are up at Poly, maybe they don't need that spot anymore?

DisneyCane

Just from eyeballing the map, I'd guess a walk from the MK to Poly would be close to 1.5 miles. Can't see myself wanting that personally, considering how pleasant of a ferry ride it is.

Also, does anyone think it's possible that this permit is referencing work done to the "pathway to nowhere" that is currently there between the monorail station extending in the direction of GF? I know they're doing lots of work over there. Might it be possible they're just making improvements to this area for other reasons, like the resort ferry launch?
I think a little less. From the monorail station at TTC it is 1.5 miles if there was a path according to Google maps.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Google Earth waypoint measurements are fantastic. Assuming the path to the GF is more or less the same as the existing dirt path except it crosses the canal to the service area circle:

From the the center of the MK entrance to the CR front entrance is a little less than 1/2 mile via the pathway provided. (10 minutes at an easy pace)

To the front entrance of the GF is a little more than 3/4 mile. (15 minutes at an easy pace)

To the VGF it is 8/10 mile (18 minutes at an easy pace)

To the rear entrance of the Poly GCH is 1.25 miles. (25 minutes at an easy pace)

sy278

I have memory of walking back to the TTC from MK years and years ago. A couple of years ago on exit from MK the Monorail was down and the Ferry was heaving so looked for the path I remember and couldn't locate it and asked a nearby security CM for directions to it who advised that there had never been one. I started to discuss my recollection of there having been one and having used it and a security Supervisor came over and corrected the original CM saying that I was correct, there was one years ago and it was removed. Does anyone else remember this?

ryguy

A tunnel under the canal would suit my eye better rather than a bridge, but I am sure that's too expensive for Disney suits. If it truly is a walkway this will make GF more appealing. Many of my clients choose the Contemporary over GF because of the walkway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom