Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was decided that the existing Grand cannot support a further DVC so they decided to convert a few buildings instead to sell quickly and then develop a brand new deluxe resort once this road is moved. Deluxe resorts don’t always fill but one this close to MK certainly will. Other locations around SSL would need a monorail station to ”feel deluxe” but this location lacks that constraint.

I‘m not sure how much of this will be DVC units.
I’ll take odds on that never happening.

They don’t build rack and have converted about 20% of the upper inventory to DVC now for a reason

drnilescrane

It was decided that the existing Grand cannot support a further DVC so they decided to convert a few buildings instead to sell quickly and then develop a brand new deluxe resort once this road is moved. Deluxe resorts don’t always fill but one this close to MK certainly will. Other locations around SSL would need a monorail station to ”feel deluxe” but this location lacks that constraint.

I‘m not sure how much of this will be DVC units.
Looking at this in the other direction - it was decided that the limitations inherent in the existing physical plant at the GF meant they could no longer fill the rooms they had at the price point they wanted, so they decided to develop a new resort to recapture that lost business and reuse the buildings to expand an extremely popular DVC resort.

Diamond Dot

I finally got to use The Sidewalk! So nice. Reminds me of the walkway from the HKDL hotel to that Magic Kingdom but better. It was so quiet and peaceful, a nice way to start a day at MK.

Some pictures I took:

View attachment 593925

View attachment 593926

View attachment 593927

View attachment 593928

View attachment 593929

View attachment 593930

View attachment 593931
Now you can walk from TTC all the way around to MK! I'm making resort hopping one of my priorities for my next trip, so to walk all that way, with refreshment stops is going to so much fun. Thanks for the photos.

SplashJacket

Now you can walk from TTC all the way around to MK! I'm making resort hopping one of my priorities for my next trip, so to walk all that way, with refreshment stops is going to so much fun. Thanks for the photos.
I did this in January! Stayed at the shades, walked around Poly, GF, Magic Kingdom Entrance, and then headed to Wilderness Lodge. Lot of fun to explore even without theme park passes.

Diamond Dot

I did this in January! Stayed at the shades, walked around Poly, GF, Magic Kingdom Entrance, and then headed to Wilderness Lodge. Lot of fun to explore even without theme park passes.
I've always loved walking and for me that is a big part of a Disney vacation. The walk between DHS and EPCOT is another lovely one. Stopping off at resorts on the way with my refillable mug and sitting watching people go by and enjoying the weather is so nice.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The walkway is temporarily closing beginning February 13th -

"As we prepare to refurbish more guest rooms and buildings at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the walking path between Grand Floridian and Magic Kingdom Park will be temporarily closed beginning Feb. 13 and is expected to reopen late this spring. Boat and monorail transportation will remain available to Guests traveling to Magic Kingdom."

Skibum1970

"As we prepare to refurbish more guest rooms and buildings at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the walking path between Grand Floridian and Magic Kingdom Park will be temporarily closed beginning Feb. 13 and is expected to reopen late this spring. Boat and monorail transportation will remain available to Guests traveling to Magic Kingdom."

A pox on them. That's when I arrive and I really enjoyed walking to the Grand Floridian to just look around.

Weather_Lady

Let's hope "late this spring" is accurate, although even that length of time seems completely ludicrous. It's a path for heaven's sake -- make a detour! Build a bridge!

I got an email from Disney Destinations today, saying the walkway might be closed for construction during our upcoming stay at the Grand Floridian. IN. LATE. AUGUST. 2023.

Granted, late August may not be the time we'd want to walk it anyway (what with the rain and the heat and humidity), but it's never fun to have options taken away.

EDITED TO UPDATE: I'm seeing posts on a GF Facebook forum that guests with GF reservations through the end of 2023 all got the same email, so I'm hoping WDW just blindly sent it to anyone with a reservation, and doesn't necessarily think it's going to be tying up the walkway for 9 months.One can hope...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Let's hope "late this spring" is accurate, although even that length of time seems completely ludicrous. It's a path for heaven's sake -- make a detour! Build a bridge!

I got an email from Disney Destinations today, saying the walkway might be closed for construction during our upcoming stay at the Grand Floridian. IN. LATE. AUGUST. 2023.

Granted, late August may not be the time we'd want to walk it anyway (what with the rain and the heat and humidity), but it's never fun to have options taken away.

I got the same email for my December 2023 trip!!! What could take a whole year that they need to possibly close off this walking path???? This was a BIG perk for us GFV home resort owners and I will be so incredibly disappointed if it's closed still in December. :(
My hope is that they just sent this to everyone with a reservation. A detour should be easy to set up via the covered walkway toward the convention center.

ToTBellHop

Uggh this is a huge loss for anyone going to the MK at peak times or leaving after fireworks. The ability to walk back to the TTC instead of waiting an hour for the monorails/ferries was nice.
I’m truly dumbfounded at the lack of a detour. Somehow they managed to build one from Crescent Lake to DHS during the entry area work. And there’s presently a meandering path from Poly to the Grand.

But here, nothing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom