Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Can someone remind me please. Where is the security / temperature screening on the walkway? Trying to remember of it’s near the GF or as the path meets the boat dock. Thanks!
This is the end of the walkway. Note the sign “All Guests” with an arrow pointing towards the security screening.

FC7D2333-448F-4C3E-B2FB-E2D5FF1AAEA4.jpeg

Brad Bishop

I think it's great that they finally made it so that you can walk from the MK around to the TTC.

I'd like to see them expand the water-bridge (for traffic - I always thought the walkway was pretty minimal but it looks like it's a lane wide) and have the walkway go all the way around the lake, myself.

halltd

Interesting... I'm surprised it has to rise at the end of its cycle
The span looks quite long and already has an arch to it. I’m sure the raising mechanism was cheaper than stiffining the bridge to always keep the gap at the end small enough to not be a trip hazard. Most movable bridges I’ve seen walking around urban environments do something similar.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The span looks quite long and already has an arch to it. I’m sure the raising mechanism was cheaper than stiffining the bridge to always keep the gap at the end small enough to not be a trip hazard. Most movable bridges I’ve seen walking around urban environments do something similar.
That arch you speak of is actually called a "camber". It is a commonly used technique to strengthen beams, bridges, trusses, etc. where you curve the structure slightly upwards. When a load is applied and the deflection occurs, the structure levels out vs sagging. The picture below is a crude example of this.

maxresdefault.jpg

The lift mechanism solves a myriad of problems with bridges of this type. All materials under load will deflect over time. The lifting mechanism allows the bridge to work without constant adjustment to maintain the gap specs. It also allows the gap to be as close to zero as possible which is essential to avoid a tripping hazard.

Nubs70

That arch you speak of is actually called a "camber". It is a commonly used technique to strengthen beams, bridges, trusses, etc. where you curve the structure slightly upwards. When a load is applied and the deflection occurs, the structure levels out vs sagging. The picture below is a crude example of this.

maxresdefault.jpg

The lift mechanism solves a myriad of problems with bridges of this type. All materials under load will deflect over time. The lifting mechanism allows the bridge to work without constant adjustment to maintain the gap specs. It also allows the gap to be as close to zero as possible which is essential to avoid a tripping hazard.
You can also see the concept of camber in a loaded and unloaded flatbed semi trailer. Unloaded, the trailer will be arched. Loaded, the trailer will be flat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom