Grand Floridian or Polynesian Resort

MrDee

Yeah I left our the "tripadvisor" part. I've never booked a hotel without checking it out on TA first lol.

I READ Trip Advisor, but Always take it with a grain of salt. It's mostly people that have had what they Perceive to be a negative experience.

I work in the airline industry, and ANY time a plane is delayed to bad weather en route, I get the typical, " I'll NEVER fly this airline again!!"

I make it a point to check their records, and they practically ALWAYS fly us again.

Weather is NO ones fault!

yaksplat

I stayed at GF in 2013 and 2014. Once the construction on the pool was done at the Poly we stayed there this year. GF is extremely nice, but we really liked the Polynesian much more. The new lava pool is amazing and the kids area by the pool was loved by my three boys. They liked the mad hatter play area at GF, but the kids area at the poly blew that away.

Trader Sam's is a blast. You can't find a unique location like that the GF. The turndown service at GF was neat, but we didn't miss it. We liked that the poly was cozier and things weren't such a long walk as they can be at the GF. The pool, food, monorail and busses were very short walks away. The staff at both hotels was comparable.

For one week's stay, the poly was $500 less and we liked it more. So for us, future trips will be to the Polynesian. Nothing stood out that we were missing from the GF by staying at the poly.

MickeyMomV

My vote is for the Poly. We like the laid back atmosphere and just feel it fits us better. We like the GF and we always make a trip over to Narcoossee's for dinner but the overall feel of the resort is just a little to formal for our vacation.

TXDisney

Really depends what environment you prefer. GF is more upscale and high class, when poly makes you feel like you're at the beach. Both beautiful resorts, you really can't go wrong

Bus advantage: buses stop at Polynesian first and then head over to the GF. Which means- there is usually only standing room on the GF bus trip for those guests.
Pluuuuus, Poly has a way more laid back attitude and makes you feel like you are in the islands.
Not to mention the best view from the beach of the fireworks every night.
Poly all the way!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Really depends what environment you prefer. GF is more upscale and high class, when poly makes you feel like you're at the beach. Both beautiful resorts, you really can't go wrong

I second this. It is about personal preference and what style you prefer. Both are great!

tpoly88

Always had a special place in my heart for the poly. Was the first place i stayed in 1976 and i loved it. had that certain feel and the ceremonial house was great. That being said the GF is really neat, love the lobby and the service there. my wife and i stayed because there were no king beds at Poly. don't know if that is the case now but that made us stay at GF. Stayed in the honeymoon suite at Poly and its really a treat. i always love the poly lobby, ohana and the arcade they use to have there. Plus the pool was always the best. if you have Kids Poly hands down.

POLY LOVER

The POLY is one of the original Hotels and has a great feel to it. NOW I have to say after the Lobby renovations I had to deal with depression. I just HATE the lobby now.
I still love the POLY but wish the old lobby were there or at least something more tropical .

squidward

A few years ago I would have said it all depends on your preference of theme. Now, I wold choose the GF. The new Poly lobby is an extreme letdown compared to what it was. The beach area, and the view that went along with it, has all but been destroyed with the bungalows. Disney was smart enough not to mess with the GF too much. The Villas don't have any major impact on the resort itself.

JonFromPhilly

Original Poster
The POLY is one of the original Hotels and has a great feel to it. NOW I have to say after the Lobby renovations I had to deal with depression. I just HATE the lobby now.
I still love the POLY but wish the old lobby were there or at least something more tropical .

I've never visited Poly before (besides YouTube videos) so it'll all be new to me.

blueboxdoctor

I've stayed at the Polynesian many times and have walked the grounds a couple times at Grand Floridian (GF). The Poly is more inviting and relaxed feeling. Perhaps I'm partial to the tropical atmosphere, but it feels like a vacation getaway. The sounds of the tropical plants when it's raining create a nice atmosphere. Plus you can also walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center, so easy access to the monorail to EPCOT. Really, I think the Poly is my favorite place to stay there (though, we now stay at Fort Wilderness, which during Christmas time is set up great, probably the best place at Christmas due to the ski lodge feel to it).

GF is very sterile feeling when walking around. It's like they're trying too hard to be grown up. Yes, it is very nice, but I feel like I should be all fancy dressed when I'm there. And they have an entire store for designer/fancy soaps, which too me says fancy shopping mall, not WDW. I enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, which is what the Poly provides, plus I prefer the places, both sit down and counter service, to eat at the Poly.

Word of the wise: if you stay at the Poly, even if you are not on ground level you may still not have a balcony, so be sure to request a room with a balcony if you don't want to be on the ground floor. I don't believe there is a price difference, so paying the same price I figure a balcony is a must have (plus I enjoy sitting out on the balcony as it rains).

(Note, if you check out my profile where my profile pic is larger you'll see it is from a room we stayed at a few years ago while it was raining, and the building in the background is the main building for the Poly. IMO that view is one of many great views at the Poly.)

Last edited:

JonFromPhilly

Original Poster
I've stayed at the Polynesian many times and have walked the grounds a couple times at Grand Floridian (GF). The Poly is more inviting and relaxed feeling. Perhaps I'm partial to the tropical atmosphere, but it feels like a vacation getaway. The sounds of the tropical plants when it's raining create a nice atmosphere. Plus you can also walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center, so easy access to the monorail to EPCOT. Really, I think the Poly is my favorite place to stay there (though, we now stay at Fort Wilderness, which during Christmas time is set up great, probably the best place at Christmas due to the ski lodge feel to it).

GF is very sterile feeling when walking around. It's like they're trying too hard to be grown up. Yes, it is very nice, but I feel like I should be all fancy dressed when I'm there. And they have an entire store for designer/fancy soaps, which too me says fancy shopping mall, not WDW. I enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, which is what the Poly provides, plus I prefer the places, both sit down and counter service, to eat at the Poly.

Word of the wise: if you stay at the Poly, even if you are not on ground level you may still not have a balcony, so be sure to request a room with a balcony if you don't want to be on the ground floor. I don't believe there is a price difference, so paying the same price I figure a balcony is a must have (plus I enjoy sitting out on the balcony as it rains).

(Note, if you check out my profile where my profile pic is larger you'll see it is from a room we stayed at a few years ago while it was raining, and the building in the background is the main building for the Poly. IMO that view is one of many great views at the Poly.)

We booked one of the new DVC studios at Poly with a lake view and we already requested a upper floor room. I'd rather not have a view of just those bungalows.

DisneyDaver

I've stayed at Poly twice and GF twice. I love both, but prefer GF. GF has a more upscale feel to it (though not at the level of a Four Seasons or Ritz so temper expectations). GF also has more dining options. I don't spend much time at the pools when I am at WDW so I can't compare the pools.

Ted Daggett

One advantage for the Poly is you can walk to the monorail at the TTC for Epcot.

You can also walk to the TTC and get on the large ferry to MK.

Although it is a relative long walk, at close, if you don't want to wait in lines to get on monorail or ferries or boats, you can just walk back to GF or Poly, with GF being closer.

jlsHouston

I'm a POLY lover. Stayed once at the GF and wasn't overly impressed. What I love about the GF is the lobby, the turndown service and shops, other than that I prefer POLY volcanoe pool, Samoa longhouse, and POLY dining options....GF rooms are a bit nicer of course but I still love POLY more

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom