Grand Floridian or Contemporary

Cpt. Sassypants

staying at the Contemporary for the first time next month, main tower lake view. After all these years have never stayed there and even though the style/decor is not really my favorite, still looks nice enough and will be fun to be right in the middle of it. Def want to try the breakfast buffet at the wave.

While the decor is the same as most other hotels the baylake view from the main tower is unforgettable. Especially in the mornings and at night, very relaxing to just sit out there and watch the boats and para-sailers go by.

staying at the Contemporary for the first time next month, main tower lake view. After all these years have never stayed there and even though the style/decor is not really my favorite, still looks nice enough and will be fun to be right in the middle of it. Def want to try the breakfast buffet at the wave.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I stayed at Grand Floridian as a kid back in 1998 and remember loving it. The grounds are gorgeous and you get fantastic views of the Magic Kingdom. I wish I had more of an opinion of it but it was so long ago now.

Last year, I stayed over at Bay Lake Towers for my bachelor party and loved it. I loved proximity to the Magic Kindgom, you can walk over in 10 minutes. The rooms are very modern and simple which I like. I would imagine the rooms at the GF would be bit more luxorious.

If I had to choose a resort again, I would stay at Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary.

CLEtoWDW

I’m obviously late to the party but I vote for GF. We recently visited the Contemp and it is just too busy for my tastes... the elevators in the main building are an absolute madhouse and the resort is so loud!

msg7

I've stayed at the Contemporary once and I liked it. Then, I went to the GF and I loved it... 13 trips to the GF and counting... My vote goes to the GF...

Last edited:

fngoofy

Honestly flip a coin. Both are good and both have a few cons as well. Bonus for GF is if the resort monorail is down you can actually walk to/from the TTC and also easily to Polynesian. The monorail line in my experience is a continual thing so it doesn't matter where you get on/off as people are constantly leaving at certain stops (unlike buses picking up to parks). So I wouldn't pick based on that.

Really both are great places to stay though.
Well, Google shows it as a 1 mile, 20 minute walk from the GF to the TTC. HOWEVER, I have hoofed it from TTC to Poly more than once, and it was a pain.
justsayinzall.

correcaminos

Well, Google shows it as a 1 mile, 20 minute walk from the GF to the TTC. HOWEVER, I have hoofed it from TTC to Poly more than once, and it was a pain.
justsayinzall.
The TTC is right next door to Polynesian. If you cannot handle that, then I'm not sure what to say. I never do anything but walk from the TTC to Polynesian. .9 of a mile wouldn't take me 20 mins either.

But I also don't bother to quote nearly a month old post just to be sarcastic and contrary. No one says you have to walk if you don't want to.

Skibum1970

The TTC is right next door to Polynesian. If you cannot handle that, then I'm not sure what to say. I never do anything but walk from the TTC to Polynesian. .9 of a mile wouldn't take me 20 mins either.

But I also don't bother to quote nearly a month old post just to be sarcastic and contrary. No one says you have to walk if you don't want to.

It's funny but my wife is getting to the point where she refuses to use the monorail. It has made the "news" too many times due to various issues. She keeps saying, "I'm not getting stuck on an elevated train with you."

Come to think of it, she has a point. I probably wouldn't do well in that situation.

It seems like a person could catch a bus and be at Epcot in the same time it takes to walk. However, like you, I prefer taking the leisurely walks and I think that I covered the ground from GF to Poly in 15 minutes. It definitely didn't take long and didn't feel that long.

fngoofy

I agree.

correcaminos

It's funny but my wife is getting to the point where she refuses to use the monorail. It has made the "news" too many times due to various issues. She keeps saying, "I'm not getting stuck on an elevated train with you."

Come to think of it, she has a point. I probably wouldn't do well in that situation.

It seems like a person could catch a bus and be at Epcot in the same time it takes to walk. However, like you, I prefer taking the leisurely walks and I think that I covered the ground from GF to Poly in 15 minutes. It definitely didn't take long and didn't feel that long.

I don't refuse to use the monorail, but I do try to avoid it many times for the resort loops. I don't mind if we're just resort hopping and having fun, but that line seems to break down a lot more than it did maybe 15 years ago or so. We've been on it while the a/c was pathetic and just sitting there for 15-20 minutes. Not fun.

We figure we walk a lot as it is, and obviously Disney is no exception, so 5-10 minutes more won't kill us. I think at a leisurely pace it's taken us 15 to go from one to the other, but usually less than that.

atjimfromdisney

I just looooove the Victorian style of the Grand Floridian.

Having Mizner's is a big bonus. Used to be a CM there who knew how I liked my mint juleps. :joyfull:
Love the jazz band while just relaxing in the lobby or outside Mizner's as well.

Though, Contemporary will always give me a wow factor with the monorail running through the lobby.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Just an FYI, there are some really good AP Room Only Deals right now for the GF for short term travel End of September/October.

Outer Building Garden View $376/night. Outer Building Club $521/night.

aladdin2007

We actually just switched next months stay from the contemporary to the grand floridian because there was a lagoon view option at a much lesser rate than the contemporary. It was a hard decision but I'm sure either is fine. But why so much less at the floridian? more availability at that particular resort?

arak

I am going to Disney the first week of March for the Flower and Garden festival.
I am not too concerned about money, so I am planning on either getting a theme park view in the Contemporary main tower or a lagoon view room in one of the Grande Floridian outside buildings.These are the only 2 Disney hotels that I have never stayed at. Any input on which one my family will enjoy more. Only adults on this trip.
Having stayed at both, the Grand Floridian all the way. Love the boat back from Magic Kingdom and walking to the Poly.

yaksplat

Having stayed at the GF a couple times, i'd vote third party and go for the polynesian. It's much more laid back and all of the proximity benefits are the same.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
To me, Poly, GF, Contemporary, and to some extent WL are just one big resort. The monorail (or boats) makes it so. Doesn't really matter which one you stay at. You can enjoy all of them.

You ever stay at the Venetian or MGM? Takes more time from some rooms at those places to get to the public areas than it does from the Grand Floridian to get to Trader Sam's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom