Grand Floridian - DVC Laundry Room Question

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
I was reading some complaints on a GF Facebook board about the laundry room in Big Pine Key, where we'll be staying in August, and where I will rather desperately need to do laundry on the day we check in (for the second half of a split stay).

The problem seems to be that there are only 2 washers and 2 dryers, meant to serve all 200 resort studio villas in Big Pine Key, which is not remotely sufficient for that number of rooms. (In contrast, the GF's original DVC building has 2 washers and 4 dryers, to serve 47 deluxe studios, none of which are dedicated, meaning that the actual number of studios needing to use the communal laundry room in that building is almost always going to be appreciably less than 47.) One guest described her repeated attempts to do laundry in Big Pine Key as a "bloodbath," with multiple guests converging on the laundry room every time a load neared completion and fighting for the right to be next, and another said that they ended up having to do laundry at 2:30am because the laundry room was in such constant use.

So my question is: do I have any alternatives if I run into this problem? If I can't do laundry at Big Pine Key, would they allow me to schlep over to the DVC building to do it? Is that laundry room accessed by scanning a MagicBand, and would it even let me in if I was a guest in another building (even though that building is also DVC-only)?

Perhaps this question involves a factual scenario that is "too new" or just too random for anyone to have experience with it yet, but I thought it was worth the asking.

Last edited:

reptar77

I'm almost positive the laundry door in the DVC building needs to opened with a key. If thats the case it will be of no help to you.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
More than 2 washers for 200 units? What do you want for $600-700 per night…or is my estimate low?
Your estimate is correct. A standard room at GF for our dates at rack rate was close to $800 with tax, I believe (more like $600 now, with the current room discount offer). The studio villas were about the same.

That being said, we're getting a relative bargain: $412/night after taxes and fees for our resort studio villa, using rented DVC points, so I guess expecting laundry access on top of that was just a silly fantasy on my part. ;)

I'm thinking I'll just shell out $6 to do a load of laundry at Yacht Club the morning we switch to GF, just to avoid fretting about it. Judging by the LaundryView weekly statistics for YC's two laundry facilities, there doesn't seem to be a problem with access there despite the fact that its washer-to-room ratio isn't much better than the one for resort studio villas in Big Pine Key. I'd imagine that because of the timeshare nature of DVC, guests in villas tend to stay longer on average, and thus require the use of laundry facilities more often, than most non-DVC guests, but that's just a guess.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom