Grand Circle Tour of Asia June 2019: Questions and Reports

BasiltheBatLord

Enjoyed reading your trip reports.

I agree that Tokyo has the best versions of some of the "flagship" Disney attractions (PotC and HM). Tokyo gained the PotC crown once Disneyland tossed the auction scene. Not that I necessarily want to express support for Japan's more patriarchal society or anything, but I hope they never PC their version. I think Tokyo has the best Splash Mountain too, although I'm guessing you weren't able to catch that as it was down for refurb when I was there a few weeks ago around the same time as you.

Tokyo Disneyland feels to me like a pretty ideal blend of California's mostly superior attractions with Florida's impressive sense of scale, but something about it just doesn't place it over either of the American parks for me.

Maybe this is beating a dead horse because I think I've said this on here a few times before, but I find DisneySea to be good, but very overrated by the Disney parks fan community. I think the reason it's so well lauded is a mixture of orientalist exotiocism and the fact that it's basically the only non-castle park in 2019 with a consistent theme (although this might be changing soon with the whole Fantasy Springs thing). It also is popular among young Japanese adults with its reputation as "the adult park." My biggest problem with DisneySea is that it just doesn't feel like a full-day park yet. Center of the Earth, Indy and ToT are basically the only worthwhile E-tickets in the park (TSMM is a complete clone sans queue and Nemo Rider or whatever is a pretty lame simulator) all three of which can generally be knocked out in 6 hours or less. I know that Soaring is coming and of course the whole Fantasy Springs expansion will add a lot to the park's roster, but I worry about at what thematic cost.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Original Poster
Enjoyed reading your trip reports.

I agree that Tokyo has the best versions of some of the "flagship" Disney attractions (PotC and HM). Tokyo gained the PotC crown once Disneyland tossed the auction scene. Not that I necessarily want to express support for Japan's more patriarchal society or anything, but I hope they never PC their version. I think Tokyo has the best Splash Mountain too, although I'm guessing you weren't able to catch that as it was down for refurb when I was there a weeks ago around the same time as you.

Tokyo Disneyland feels to me like a pretty ideal blend of California's mostly superior attractions with Florida's impressive sense of scale, but something about it just doesn't place it over either of the American parks for me.

Maybe this is beating a dead horse because I think I've said this on here a few times before, but I find DisneySea to be good, but very overrated by the Disney parks fan community. I think the reason it's so well lauded is a mixture of orientalist exotiocism and the fact that it's basically the only non-castle park in 2019 with a consistent theme (although this might be changing soon with the whole Fantasy Springs thing). It also is popular among young Japanese adults with its reputation as "the adult park." My biggest problem with DisneySea is that it just doesn't feel like a full-day park yet. Center of the Earth, Indy and ToT are basically the only worthwhile E-tickets in the park (TSMM is a complete clone sans queue and Nemo Rider or whatever is a pretty lame simulator) all three of which can generally be knocked out in 6 hours or less. I know that Soaring is coming and of course the whole Fantasy Springs expansion will add a lot to the park's roster, but I worry about at what thematic cost.

Agreed on their Splash Mountain. Easily the best.

I think what's missing about TDL is a unique identity. Yes, it has superior entertainment, guests, casts, and a great ride selection, but there's very little that's unique to that particular park. The same could be said for Hong Kong too.

I disagree about DisneySea. It really is about the entire package; the detail and theming, the level of depth, the kinetic energy of the various lands. There may not be a ton of E-Tickets, but I'd put their E's over a park like DCA, which may arguably have more E level attractions, but to me the attractions there, overall, aren't as successful. At DCA, I'd argue that only RSR could match the level of detail seen in those 3 DisneySea attractions, and the park is the ultimate example of quality over quantity, IMO.

And I really think DisneySea, along with Animal Kingdom and Disneyland Paris, benefit from exploring and taking in the entire environment. Not saying that you didn't do that, but my Mother very much saw the park as a checklist and consequently got less out of it; she wasn't interested in exploring in the same way. So while she enjoyed it, she probably also saw it as a little overrated. I think it's all about mindset. If you are looking for the ultimate themed experience, DisneySea has no equal. If you're more attraction-focused, I can see how it might be underwhelming.

At any rate, it is incredibly satisfying to visit a Disney resort where *all* of the parks have plenty of great things to do. Tokyo's the only multiple-park resort I can say that about.

ThemeParkTraveller

I think what's missing about TDL is a unique identity. Yes, it has superior entertainment, guests, casts, and a great ride selection, but there's very little that's unique to that particular park. The same could be said for Hong Kong too.

I disagree about DisneySea. It really is about the entire package; the detail and theming, the level of depth, the kinetic energy of the various lands. There may not be a ton of E-Tickets, but I'd put their E's over a park like DCA, which may arguably have more E level attractions, but to me the attractions there, overall, aren't as successful. At DCA, I'd argue that only RSR could match the level of detail seen in those 3 DisneySea attractions, and the park is the ultimate example of quality over quantity, IMO.

HKDL feels pretty unique to me right now with Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point. The new castle and Frozen and Marvel expansions will also give it a pretty distinct identity from the other castle parks.

TDL is also on the right track with the Beauty and the Beast expansion, but I hope they renovate the other lands too to help the park stand out. Luckily, this seems to be the OLC's new mantra.

I feel the same way about TDS and personally feel its collection of E-tickets is better than any other second gate. And as you said, just walking around the park is an attraction in itself.

Animaniac93-98

My biggest problem with DisneySea is that it just doesn't feel like a full-day park yet. Center of the Earth, Indy and ToT are basically the only worthwhile E-tickets in the park (TSMM is a complete clone sans queue and Nemo Rider or whatever is a pretty lame simulator) all three of which can generally be knocked out in 6 hours or less.

Very much disagree with this. I skipped a number of attractions due to lack of interest, like TSMM & Nemo, but I did still not see everything I wanted to in a day. Even on a day when it wasn't super busy and I did ride Center of the Earth and Tower of Terror with Fastpass.

With Soaring the park will have 21 rides, with 4 more on the way in Fantasy Springs. This does not include the various shows (Big Band Beat, Magic Lamp Theater, Hangar Stage, Mermaid show etc), seasonal entertainment, walkthrough attractions (I had to skip the Fort and ship in the harbour), or sit down restaurants. The park has way more to do than most second gates, on top of being a great park to just walk around.

And let us not forget how much time needs to be dedicated to taking Instagram selfies with Duffy & Friends. 😜

ThemeParkTraveller

Sinbad is good, I wouldn't call it an E-ticket though.

Sindbad's scale may be miniaturized and its aesthetic cartoony compared to something like Pirates of the Caribbean, but the show scenes are no less detailed or immersive in my opinion. It's an AA extravaganza the likes of which we rarely see anymore. That said, I understand everybody has their own definition of what is an E-ticket.

PiratesMansion

Original Poster
Sindbad is definitely a fantastic attraction with great characters, animatronics, a great score, etc. But as I rode through this time, I couldn't help notice areas where the details/finish petered out. Witness the room with the whale silhouette, for example, which also has a wall of nothing right next to you and plainly visible.

I was questioning myself as to whether or not it truly is an E-Ticket. However, I then remembered that Small World, widely considered an E-Ticket, is basically a much less sophisticated Sindbad. So by that definition it is an E.

Maybe for myself I would consider both of them to be D+ tickets? If only because they are not finished with the same level of detail as, say, something like Pirates, the millions of animatronics aside.

It's definitely a fantastic ride that I'm grateful I got to experience a number of times again. This time, however, I found myself gravitating more often to Tower, Journey (which went way up in my estimation this trip), and Indy, even though there was nothing stopping me from riding Sindbad a million times.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Sinbad is good, I wouldn't call it an E-ticket though.

Your kidding right? Sinbad is one of the best attractions in the world. It's a long, relaxing, and rewarding journey. It has the biggest and most impressive collection of animatronics in the world. It has the best cast of animatronics of any ride. They may be doll sized, but their movements are as lifelike as it can get. The song is so catchy, and the banana smell is infectious. Each scene has its own special distinction and it flows so well with the ride. Every scene has something new to look at. There is such a magical Disney charm in the ride that really makes Sinbad one of the best rides anywhere! So underrated! It's fine though as stated before, everybody has their own definition of an E-ticket.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

My biggest problem with DisneySea is that it just doesn't feel like a full-day park yet. Center of the Earth, Indy and ToT are basically the only worthwhile E-tickets in the park (TSMM is a complete clone sans queue and Nemo Rider or whatever is a pretty lame simulator) all three of which can generally be knocked out in 6 hours or less.
As stated before I strongly disagree, simply walking around the park is an attraction in itself, with Soaring and the others coming soon, the park will have 21+ rides, which is much more than all of HS, AK, and Epcot. Sinbad is also one of the E-tickets. It definitely will never be built at WDW, Sinbad is one of those quintessential Disney rides that are super unique to it's park. Still a stronger lineup than those parks on top of the phenomenal theming.

BasiltheBatLord

Your kidding right? Sinbad is one of the best attractions in the world. It's a long, relaxing, and rewarding journey. It has the biggest and most impressive collection of animatronics in the world. It has the best cast of animatronics of any ride. They may be doll sized, but their movements are as lifelike as it can get. The song is so catchy, and the banana smell is infectious. Each scene has its own special distinction and it flows so well with the ride. Every scene has something new to look at. There is such a magical Disney charm in the ride that really makes Sinbad one of the best rides anywhere! So underrated! It's fine though as stated before, everybody has their own definition of an E-ticket.
The first three words of my post were “Sinbad is good” not sure what you’re trying to convince me of in this post.

Janir

To be honest I didn't look elsewhere. I figured it was better off to stay with the official site in this instance.

So it looks like I will definitely need to call Shanghai again to add my name to the reservation. A bummer, but not unexpected.

In case anyone's curious, here's my itinerary:
June 1: Fly from Chicago to Dallas, than Dallas to Hong Kong (American; paid extra for more legroom)
June 2 (whatever's left of it when I arrive) and June 3: Hong Kong Disneyland
June 4: Fly to Pudong (Cathay Dragon) and meet friend; transfer to SDL.
June 5-6: Shanghai Disneyland
June 7: More of the park or Shanghai touring in the morning, then fly to Tokyo (JAL).
June 8: Tokyo DisneySea first half of day; Shinkansen to Kyoto
June 9-10, 12: Kyoto and outskirts
June 11: Hiroshima
June 13-16: Tokyo
June 17-21: TDR
June 22: Fly home (JAL)
Awesome looking plan. Enjoy your Disney Orient Tour! I hope one day I can afford a Disney Resorts World tour. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom