Got any ideas?

Brandon barr

Hello Everyone, We have our 2nd trip to Disney world planned for December 10th -17th. Last year we went for our first time and it was awesome. This time we feel like we may know a little more about what to expect. I am thinking about maybe one day going to Universal, but is it worth it? and would we be able to do much in a day there.?

we don't really have what days we will do what planned yet. we do have some dining booked because we got the free Disney dining plan. i have also tossed the idea of paying extra for the Deluxe dining plan just to do it but do not think we would eat that much. This will be the wife, me and our 6 year old son.

December 10th we land at 1pm and we are going to eat at Tepan Edo at 7pm

December 11th all we know is i have reservations for 9pm at the Whispering canyon cafe.

December 12th we have Fantasmic dinner package at Hollywood Brown Derby 3:30 pm, since this place takes 2 credits we were thinking of paying oop or doing oop for at least one adult and our son so we have more dining credits.

December 13th we have not booked a TS yet but we do have the MVMCP that night.

December 14th we eat at Garden Grill at 7PM

December 15th we have nothing booked yet

December 16th we have nothing booked yet

December 17th we fly back out at 5pm so will just relax that am until we get taken back to the airport.

We do have the park hopper and we are staying at corandado springs. I would like to get in at planet hollywood when they open back up so i can book. and also i would like to try the breakfast at ohonas,

we did crystal palace last year and chef mickeys and they where both okay but would rather try new things this year. Should i try and get a day at universal in there ? and is it worth upgrading to the Deluxe dining plan or is that just to much food. Thanks all.

CaptainAmerica

My thoughts, in random order:
  • 7pm and 9pm dinner reservations are a recipe for disaster with a six year old. Staying at Coronado Springs, you wouldn't get to bed after a 9pm dinner at the Wilderness Lodge until midnight at the earliest, and that's if you have your own car.
  • Universal wouldn't be worth it for 1) a child that age, 2) a family on the dining plan, and 3) a seven night trip.
  • The regular dining plan is too much food for most people, let alone upgrading to the Deluxe.
  • Two-credit meals are a poor credit-to-food value. Those meals are "better" than the one-credit locations, but not double better. Also, the Brown Derby is a somewhat stuffy atmosphere and wouldn't be super appealing for a six year old.

Upvote 0

Brandon barr

Original Poster
My thoughts, in random order:
  • 7pm and 9pm dinner reservations are a recipe for disaster with a six year old. Staying at Coronado Springs, you wouldn't get to bed after a 9pm dinner at the Wilderness Lodge until midnight at the earliest, and that's if you have your own car.
  • Universal wouldn't be worth it for 1) a child that age, 2) a family on the dining plan, and 3) a seven night trip.
  • The regular dining plan is too much food for most people, let alone upgrading to the Deluxe.
  • Two-credit meals are a poor credit-to-food value. Those meals are "better" than the one-credit locations, but not double better. Also, the Brown Derby is a somewhat stuffy atmosphere and wouldn't be super appealing for a six year old.

Yeah i have looked at the Menu for Brown Derby and about the only thing my son would eat there would be a grilled cheese sandwich. but i did it for the better seats for fantasmic show. I will just pay the 23 for him and may even pay the 69 or whatever it is for me and the wife and not waist the 2 dining credits.

That is what i was thinking that the Deluxe would just be to much food really.

we are not really worried about getting to bed by any certian time. last year we where out till almost midnight everyday that is no problem for any of us.

I guess i will just have to save Universal for another time then. What is a good age for a kid to enjoy universal. we have never been?

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Yeah i have looked at the Menu for Brown Derby and about the only thing my son would eat there would be a grilled cheese sandwich. but i did it for the better seats for fantasmic show. I will just pay the 23 for him and may even pay the 69 or whatever it is for me and the wife and not waist the 2 dining credits.

That is what i was thinking that the Deluxe would just be to much food really.

we are not really worried about getting to bed by any certian time. last year we where out till almost midnight everyday that is no problem for any of us.

I guess i will just have to save Universal for another time then. What is a good age for a kid to enjoy universal. we have never been?
The Fantasmic dining package don't give you better seats, they just guarantee your seats without waiting in line. They're actually pretty terrible as seats go. Also note that the Brown Derby is not the only restaurant that has the Fantasmic Package. It's also available at Mama Melrose's and Hollywood & Vine (character meal).

A kid would enjoy Universal at any age. I just think they'd enjoy Disney more until they're at least big enough to ride the rollercoasters (which is driven by height, not age). I also wouldn't try to cram it in to a seven night Disney vacation. If I were going to do Universal, I'd do a separate five night vacation or include it as part of a 9+ night Disney vacation.

Upvote 0

Brandon barr

Original Poster
On Disney website it shows a certain area that is front of show that Is only for fantastic dinner package ? That is also what I was told when I called and asked questions about it before booking.

And I did see the other 2 places to eat but don't think we would care for either. I would like to eat somewhere Me and my wife would enjoy not just charter meals. My son will be okay for that hour while we eat.

Ahh okay yes he is already 50 inches tall so so I will look at what most rides require in height. He is taller for his age. Reason we where thinking a day there is because we more then likely won't be going to animal kingdom again. Just the other 3 parks. Last year we spent 3 days at magic kingdom as well so it's not like we will miss allot going to universal for a day.

Upvote 0

TheMouseFan

On Disney website it shows a certain area that is front of show that Is only for fantastic dinner package ? That is also what I was told when I called and asked questions about it before booking.

And I did see the other 2 places to eat but don't think we would care for either. I would like to eat somewhere Me and my wife would enjoy not just charter meals. My son will be okay for that hour while we eat.

Ahh okay yes he is already 50 inches tall so so I will look at what most rides require in height. He is taller for his age. Reason we where thinking a day there is because we more then likely won't be going to animal kingdom again. Just the other 3 parks. Last year we spent 3 days at magic kingdom as well so it's not like we will miss allot going to universal for a day.
The Fantasmic! dinner package reserved seats are the middle two sections of the theater. They will sometimes open the sections up to the standby line close to the start of the show, so you still need to be early.

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

Mama Melrose may not be a "fun" atmosphere for a 6 year old, but the food is great and only takes one meal credit. See if you can go there instead, if you can't get into Hollywood & Vine, for your Fantastic dinner package.

Upvote 0

Brandon barr

Original Poster
The Fantasmic! dinner package reserved seats are the middle two sections of the theater. They will sometimes open the sections up to the standby line close to the start of the show, so you still need to be early.
Thanks for heads up we will get there early to. We did not get to see the fantastic show last time we where there.

Upvote 0

Brandon barr

Original Poster
Mama Melrose may not be a "fun" atmosphere for a 6 year old, but the food is great and only takes one meal credit. See if you can go there instead, if you can't get into Hollywood & Vine, for your Fantastic dinner package.

From the reviews I read that Hollywood viNE is not that good or about same as crystal Palace we loved the characters dining but food was blah. My son will be good while we eat so not to worried about him. We where really wanting to try the brown derbie after looking at the menu. We are still just thinking about paying it oop though. I did look into moma Melrose to and it does look good.I still have some time to change my mind.

I'm really hoping I can get into ohanas one morning for breakfast.

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

From the reviews I read that Hollywood viNE is not that good or about same as crystal Palace we loved the characters dining but food was blah. My son will be good while we eat so not to worried about him. We where really wanting to try the brown derbie after looking at the menu. We are still just thinking about paying it oop though. I did look into moma Melrose to and it does look good.I still have some time to change my mind.

I'm really hoping I can get into ohanas one morning for breakfast.
I've eaten at Hollywood Derby and Mama Melrose & was actually more impressed with MM. The pasta was fabulous and my children loved their pizza. I do hope you can get into Ohana's as well. It serves a delicious breakfast each day. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Brandon barr

Original Poster
I've eaten at Hollywood Derby and Mama Melrose & was actually more impressed with MM. The pasta was fabulous and my children loved their pizza. I do hope you can get into Ohana's as well. It serves a delicious breakfast each day. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks everyone for the help and input. I have actually canceled brown derby and switched to mama melrose. My son loves pizza and we will use 1 dining credit. Thanks for help and advice. I am trying everyday for ohanas and my wife keeps trying for be our guest breakfast since it's a QS but no luck on either.

Upvote 0

BackOTheLine

Lol we all didn't care for it but since we have park hopper and all we may go at least do a few things there.

AK has grown to be one of our favorite parks. For us it's a different mindset than the other parks where you tend to plan more and bounce from thing to thing. Animal Kingdom needs to be explored (caw caw rawr). There are so many things to do and see tucked in different places that we constantly find new things. Plus I think the theming and food are heads above the other parks.

Stop by and get the Wilderness Explorer scavenger hunt book on the way in if you haven't done it yet. Our 5 year old loved it.

She also loves the huge playground in Dinoland. It's a good place for parents to sit for a few minutes while kids burn some energy.

And don't forget to eat wherever you can!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom