Got a question about Imaging Programs

WDW Imagineer

Original Poster
I currently have a copyof Jasc Pant Shop Pro 7, I have been hearing a lot of good things about Photoshop. Is there anyone who knows what the main difference is between the two programs and is it worth the upgrade, especially in price.

I use if for medium graphic creation for my website.

Main Street USA

As far as specifics I really can't help. All I use is Photoshop, and I do know it is the most versatile photoediting program out there. If you have the money and you'll use it, its worth the money. My avatar over there was done in Photoshop, its just so much fun!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---------------

NowInc

It all depends on who you ask. I have seen some GREAT things come out of paintshop pro. A lot of people tend to prefer it to photoshop. In tne end its all a matter of what you feel more comfortable useing. I personally think Photoshop is a TON better (mostly because its the one i learned first) and is worth the extra cash....but thats just me.

christopher

Photoshop is the industry standard. I have not used Paintshop enough to make a comparison, but I can tell you that there has never been a reason for me to try another imaging progrgam after using Photoshop.

christopher

Originally posted by Main Street USA
As far as specifics I really can't help. All I use is Photoshop, and I do know it is the most versatile photoediting program out there. If you have the money and you'll use it, its worth the money. My avatar over there was done in Photoshop, its just so much fun!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---------------

That has to be the best avatar I have seen yet. :D

DisneyJedi

I was raised in a company that would not buy Photoshop for me.. they would only buy Paint Shop Pro (since it was cheaper). Now I am having a hard time getting used to Photoshop because I am so accustomed to working graphics in Paint Shop Pro. I figure out how to do something in Paint Shop Pro, but when I try the same effect in Photoshop it usually involves extra steps to get the same result and I get confused on what the heck I am doing. I think Paint Shop Pro is geared for people who just want to get the job done quickly without having to mess around much. Photoshop is more for the person that wants to tweak the heck out of every operation. I'm no graphic guru or have many graphical skills, but I would suggest you try both.. try to do the same things in each and decide which is going to be the best for you to work with. There are alot of self-proclaimed Photoshop wizards out there. You could be the next Paint Shop Pro master. :)
I have access to both programs, but with the frustration of being set in my ways on graphic manipulation and the fact Photoshop crashes for me all the time (and Paint Shop Pro NEVER does), I stick with Paint Shop Pro. One of these days I will get Photoshop to be stable and sit down and have more patience with it, so I can do something with it.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Well, I have both, and I can tell you that I love Photoshop! But Paint Shop's Animation Shop (which is used for animating gif's) is easier to use for me then Photohop's Image Ready. But that's just me. You really have to decide for yourself. :) If you want to know any specific differences, just ask me. :)

MrPromey

Originally posted by WDW Imagineer
I currently have a copyof Jasc Pant Shop Pro 7, I have been hearing a lot of good things about Photoshop. Is there anyone who knows what the main difference is between the two programs and is it worth the upgrade, especially in price.

I use if for medium graphic creation for my website.

It all depends on what you need. Photoshop is clearly recognized as the industry standard and I have never heard of a professional agency or freelance artist using Paint Shop Pro. On the other hand, in order to get full use of Photoshop you must have professional training or a few hundred dollars in books and a lot of dedicated time where Paint Shop Pro is a little more amateur-friendly… Photoshop was not originally intended for the masses. It’s high learning curve and high price once put it out of the ballpark for the average summer vacation photographer but with the influx of “warez” sites and the popularity of pirating/file-programs, it has become easy for anyone to get their hands on it for free…Because of this and because of the release of the watered down, more consumer oriented version of Photoshop, you see many masters of the Photoshop plugins… To put it simply, ff you are looking to make a career out of your image editing or have a real need for professional output, Photoshop is your program. You’ll be hard pressed to find any company in the industry using anything else. You’ll find the company with an are team of one or two people using the Corel Draw suite perhaps, but that’s about as far off from Adobe as it really gets. If you are simply looking for something to use at home for family pictures or for a hobby or one man website without any further interest or use for the software, I would recommend Paint Shop Pro. You’ll be done with your pictures in less time than it will take to learn how to use the tools in Photoshop and it really just isn’t worth the investment in money to buy or time to learn Photoshop if you are only looking for the more basic features.. It’s like the difference between Microsoft Publisher and QuarkXpress. Maybe not quite as dramatic but along those lines… :)

gwrf

I have always been a Paint Shop Pro user. I have tried Photoshop from time to time and have found it very slow to use - in Paint Shop Pro, saving GIF files much easier because the menus to make the color changes are very easy to quickly reach. What I like most about Paint Shop Pro is it's simplicity. As there are many more options in Photoshop, I found it tended to slow work down. Speed is an issue to me, because when trying to save all the small images to make up a menu on a website I want to be able to cut up the parts as fast as possible.
This probably only applies to older versions of Photoshop. I haven't tried it for a few years, so these things might have improved.

As soon as Paint Shop Pro 7 was released I downloaded the demo version at once, and found I wasn't really happy with it. It had started to include some of the the ideas I didn't like about Photoshop. For example, in Paint Shop Pro 6 there are one set of colors you can use for everything. However in version seven, you have a different palette for each tool (i.e. text, drawing, flood fill etc.) This really slowed me down, because I like to work with a certain set of colors, rather than switching to a different tool and finding I didn't have the color anymore.
Therefore, I still use Paint Shop Pro 6 - and I'm happy with it!

So try out both programs and see what you like the most. I think though that Paint Shop Pro 7 is no better than Photoshop - I'll probably switch to it eventually.

NowInc

I can tell you that most of what you posted above are now also standard in photoshop... ;)

oh..and Photoshop 7 is much much faster than any previous version...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom