GoPro tips and tricks for WDW

BillyBuff

Not a bad gimbal setup. Not sure if it's really needed...

I'd like to see you do some with / without comparisons before I dropped money into it.

Also, it looks rather uncomfortable for long term use...

Slow rides, I could see it being interesting...but that's about it when compared to a head mount or body mount.

Yeah, my main purpose will be doing "walking video tours" instead of ride videos. Even though the packaging shows sporty images, I doubt this gimbal can be steady enough to be used for that. Slow rides, maybe. But I do have my head and chest mount which I have been using for my mountain bike rides.

Plus gripping with only three fingers, I know my hand will cramp up after extended use.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, my main purpose will be doing "walking video tours" instead of ride videos. Even though the packaging shows sporty images, I doubt this gimbal can be steady enough to be used for that. Slow rides, maybe. But I do have my head and chest mount which I have been using for my mountain bike rides.

Plus gripping with only three fingers, I know my hand will cramp up after extended use.
I enjoyed the review, it was interesting to see it. How they handle the counterweight is a very interesting concept...

As I said, I'd be curious to see you do a with/without comparison review.

I agree about your reservations, but since you have the toy, may as well play with it for everyone's benefit? <grin>

I'd be curious to see what it can do!

BillyBuff

Okay, it was HOT outside but I managed to test out the Curve.

One thing I can tell you is that you NEED to use the thumb and index finger to stabilize it. So it's definitely a three-finger grip. My hand didn't cramp up within the 4 minutes of testing it. If it was any heavier, then maybe.

I need to practice the stabilizing part with the thumb and index finger. At times I forgot about it and in comes the "drunken sailor" movement. I did get a hang of it near the end. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. Now my WDW videos will look much better. My other videos were pretty shaky o_O
Plus I need to slowly bring it out so I won't surprise the DW that I bought something without mentioning it to her lol

englanddg

One Little Spark...

One thing I can tell you is that you NEED to use the thumb and index finger to stabilize it. So it's definitely a three-finger grip. My hand didn't cramp up within the 4 minutes of testing it. If it was any heavier, then maybe.

I need to practice the stabilizing part with the thumb and index finger. At times I forgot about it and in comes the "drunken sailor" movement. I did get a hang of it near the end. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. Now my WDW videos will look much better. My other videos were pretty shaky o_O
Plus I need to slowly bring it out so I won't surprise the DW that I bought something without mentioning it to her lol

Neat vid!

It's interesting how smooth some of the shots were. The stair scenes turned out really well!

I see what you mean about the back and forth movement, how much adjustment did it take to get used to it?

The sortof thing 15 mins of use would resolve? Or is there more to how to hold it that feels unnatural and is harder to form as a habit?

BillyBuff

Neat vid!

It's interesting how smooth some of the shots were. The stair scenes turned out really well!

I see what you mean about the back and forth movement, how much adjustment did it take to get used to it?

The sortof thing 15 mins of use would resolve? Or is there more to how to hold it that feels unnatural and is harder to form as a habit?

Thanks! I was afraid to grip it more tightly until near the end of the video as I was going up the stairs. If I had another 10 minutes I think I would have it down pat. It doesn't feel unnatural at all. It's like holding a handgun while keeping all the tension off the trigger finger. The grip is semi-rubberized so there's no chance of it slipping. The rubber on the also helps keep your thumb and index from slipping off so you'll have more control.

If I had the $$$ I would go for the Feiyu but this is a better price point for me.

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster

Thanks for the test footage! Looked like it did a pretty good job stabilizing.

thomas998

I didn't think the chest mount would be good for rides, I though it would sit to low. Am I wrong in thinking this?
In a bad seat it could be pointless... but you should think twice about using a handheld, it can be very dangerous on fast rides like roller coasters. If you lose it it can do some serious injury to the person it hits, people have lost an eye from someone dropping something on a roller coaster and having it hit someone else. Its also the reason some rides will tell you not to use cameras and to put them away.

ZapperZ

Jahona

I'll be at the parks in a week with my Feiyu G4. I've hardly used it as I've been using the GoPro in a head mount or in my quadcopter for the past few times. I'll post the video up in a few weeks after I get back.

rza510

I'll be at the parks in a week with my Feiyu G4. I've hardly used it as I've been using the GoPro in a head mount or in my quadcopter for the past few times. I'll post the video up in a few weeks after I get back.

I too will be at the parks in a couple of weeks with my Feiyu G4 but after news of the "selfie stick" ban, I wonder if they will consider this handheld gimbal a "selfie stick". It doesn't extend further than arms length versus 36" on a traditional monopod. Let me know how it goes Jahona. Cheers.

Jahona

I too will be at the parks in a couple of weeks with my Feiyu G4 but after news of the "selfie stick" ban, I wonder if they will consider this handheld gimbal a "selfie stick". It doesn't extend further than arms length versus 36" on a traditional monopod. Let me know how it goes Jahona. Cheers.

I don't think they will. What I saw described a selfie stick as a extendable pole. The Feiyu doesn't extend. Now if you used the extension poles with it then there might be a problem.

NowInc

Keep in mind however that the stricter screening processes will also make stricter rules against "Professional photo/video/audio" equipment, as there will be more people checking at the bagless entry and more extensive searches at the rest. I am unsure how they will view a gimbal.

rza510

Keep in mind however that the stricter screening processes will also make stricter rules against "Professional photo/video/audio" equipment, as there will be more people checking at the bagless entry and more extensive searches at the rest. I am unsure how they will view a gimbal.
I agree. The gimbal will be up to the CMs subjectivity. I wish senseless people didn't have to ruin it for everyone by pulling 3 foot poles on thrill rides. I just want to capture stable video of my kids in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom