GoPro Accessories! HELP

BCohen89

Original Poster
can someone tell me what GoPro accessories are allowed in Disney? Like for example is the Float stick (Doesnt extend) allowed? Chest mount? Head mount?

mattdenine

I don't think you are supposed to be filming rides or attractions in general. Think you have to go stealth.

You are allowed to film/take photos of all the rides or attractions you want. They ask you don't use flash on dark rides, some rides the cast members will ask you to remove the chest mount and as long as the handle (float stick) doesn't extend you are fine.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
can someone tell me what GoPro accessories are allowed in Disney? Like for example is the Float stick (Doesnt extend) allowed? Chest mount? Head mount?

I had a chest mount and a small handle for my GoPro. They don't care as long as it's not a selfie stick.

It's no different than anyone else taking their video camera on rides and whipping their cell phones out on thunder mountain.

dieboy

The handles are fine as long as it is not telescoping. Some guards will ask you directly about it, just tell them its the handle only.

Few tips regarding go pros and disney use. Unless your vlogging, footage will be semi garbage as its an action cam not a camcorder in general respects. On rides, it will be near worthless also, as its 'low light' setting is just okay and nothing more. You can run a night lapse, but every ride moves, so shutters open for longer than a second will blur.

What I use mine for. 1. Vlogging with the go pro session 5. 2. Panoramic park shots. 3. I do not take photos, I record everything in 1440, and take stills from the video for photos 4. Close up selfies, does well with those.

Best places for use of a gopro at disney; Any water park/pool. Wide shots of main street at MK, wide shots of epcot. Group selfies when you have a bunch of people with.

Keep in mind battery useage also. I bring normally 3 batteries and a battery backpac(tm)(for my hero4 silver) to the park. I'll use up a couple standard batteries because the backpac blocks the screen and its faster to change settings via the screen than the buttons and lcd on the front. The session is okay for short water slide videos, but don't expect long life out of the battery at the parks, in the hot weather.

In all, gopros are nice, but they will never replace a camcorder* or a normal dslr camera of any sort. I have yet to get my hands on a 6, that has zoom, but i can't speak to how well it works.

Sooo .. short list of what I bring to the parks or a water park:
1. Batteries. A few. If you have a session bring a battery pack to charge mid day with. Normal hero cameras, probably a min of two or three.
2. Atleast 3 64gb sim cards. I've never filled more than one and a bit of a second but three is nice to have handy.
3. Backpack clip (polar pro), works well if we have a backpack with us.
4. Small waterproof case for everything but the handle/wrist strap.
5. Don't be that guy with it on his head all day ... ... Trust me you will see them, it is hilarious.
6. Handle. I use the first and second gen floaty gopro handle. The second gen one is larger though, and kind of annoying to hold all day.
7. Wrist strap.

That's about all I take as far as gopro junk goes. Anything more is cumbersome and semi useless, or banned (telescoping handles). Anything less you'll be wishing you'd had something I mentioned ;).

dieboy

I should note. After a few dozen trips over the years and hauling along some sort of gopro or two each time. I really enjoy them at the water parks. The normal parks, honestly, could do with out, just a good camera and a cell phone camera would suffice. About all I do with park footage is pull a bunch of stills out of it for photos. We do some beach time always, occasionally snorkeling or what not, and they work great there also.

dieboy

Not GoPro, but I've toyed with the notion of getting a 180/360º cam (like the recent Rylo).
Not a horrible idea, go pro makes one also now, go pro something or another ;P. I could see water parks but fail to see the fun of it at a park. Simply because you'd have to hold it above your head the whole time for the most part. Also, you'd need to find one with excellent low light abilities. Gopro in any flavor including the 360 cam pretty much fails at that. My edge 7 cell phone takes 100 percent better low light photos than go pros do. So unless you have that, most rides are out.

dieboy

Oh I forgot .. one important use ;P

Time lapses if you have a nice view from your hotel and a balcony. Bring a small tripod (gorilla bendy style), and wrap it around a balcony post, hit start and wander off.

thomas998

I had a chest mount and a small handle for my GoPro. They don't care as long as it's not a selfie stick.

It's no different than anyone else taking their video camera on rides and whipping their cell phones out on thunder mountain.
I do wish people would refrain from the cameras and cell phones on fast rides like thunder mountain... People have lost eyes when a phone has been dropped by someone on a roller coaster and it hits the poor person behind them that gets hit in the face. It is only a matter of time until it happens on one of the Disney rides and then it will be a ban on all cameras and phones on rides as the Disney lawyers will likely decide its better to ban them on all rides and not risk determining which are slow enough to be safe.

WondersOfLife

I do wish people would refrain from the cameras and cell phones on fast rides like thunder mountain... People have lost eyes when a phone has been dropped by someone on a roller coaster and it hits the poor person behind them that gets hit in the face. It is only a matter of time until it happens on one of the Disney rides and then it will be a ban on all cameras and phones on rides as the Disney lawyers will likely decide its better to ban them on all rides and not risk determining which are slow enough to be safe.
Gosh imagine..... Doing exactly what Universal does for their roller coasters. No cell phones allowed at all on the ride. So you have to put them in a locker. For a fee.

BCohen89

Original Poster
Or just allow only ce
Oh I forgot .. one important use ;P

Time lapses if you have a nice view from your hotel and a balcony. Bring a small tripod (gorilla bendy style), and wrap it around a balcony post, hit start and wander off.
thank you!!! All AWESOME ADVICE!

thomas998

Gosh imagine..... Doing exactly what Universal does for their roller coasters. No cell phones allowed at all on the ride. So you have to put them in a locker. For a fee.
Actually I thought the lockers were free on the rides you were banned from having a cellphone or camera on and only had the lockers for a fee on the rides where you needed one to protect your camera/cellphone from the ride itself but weren't at any risk of hurting someone with your camera. I think the last time I was there the only time we needed to pay for a locker was on the Jurassic park ride and Popeye ride where any non-water proof electronics is at risk of getting destroyed.

dieboy

thank you!!! All AWESOME ADVICE!

Anytime.

I usually drag along two for good measure. One always rolling on a backpack clip, and the other point and shoot on a handle. Then you can split them up and do a timelapse and have one with you at the pool.

Its best to vlog with a gopro, record the rides, and general footage. Also, even if you do not vlog, you will want allot of "B" roll footage to fill the video for transitions and such. I use the hold it steady on a railing for a few minutes to get some just well footage. Time lapses at the pool if you have a couple gopros, and someone is always next to it.

Don't bother with photos, just leave the video rolling for about four seconds on what you want a photo of. Pull photo stills out of the video when you get home. Or the new gopro quik (hate) app will do it on the fly, take stills from video that is.

Lastly, watch some setup stuff on youtube, things spot meter should be off most of the time, allot of people leave it on. Along with low light. Low light, should only be on well .. when there is low light. Also, it does not do dark rides well, atleast 4s and 5s. I'm going to pick up a 6 next month and am curious if the new chip will help that. Example. Navi River ride. Looked like garbage on the gopro, with all the 'right' settings. Edge 7 phone photos, awesome. Sooo, always use another form of photos or what not.

dieboy

Honestly, these tiny little cameras are about 300-400 a pop. On top of always having wrist strap on the handle, I have the camera wired to the handle, so if the screw comes loose, the camera only goes about 3 inches. Same on the wrist strap. Its the idiots with a phone (most more spendy that the gopros) that have them out and they drop them. Some guy had his phone out on space mountain on with the light on videoing his kid .. he almost dumped it twice until someone yelled at them *looks sideways.

WondersOfLife

Actually I thought the lockers were free on the rides you were banned from having a cellphone or camera on and only had the lockers for a fee on the rides where you needed one to protect your camera/cellphone from the ride itself but weren't at any risk of hurting someone with your camera. I think the last time I was there the only time we needed to pay for a locker was on the Jurassic park ride and Popeye ride where any non-water proof electronics is at risk of getting destroyed.
Nope. They're all a fee. I remember being upset about Rip Ride Rock It.

thomas998

Nope. They're all a fee. I remember being upset about Rip Ride Rock It.
Must have changed some sense we were last there as I know there were several rides where the lockers were free but you only had a set amount of time to go back and get your stuff out or you would be charged a fee. Guess they decided to charge for everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom