Goofy's Name

careship

Original Poster
According to Disney A - Z

Goofy's original name was "Dippy Dawg" then became "Dippy the Goof" and finally "Goofy." "...Goofy was part of the gang that included Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Clarabelle Cow, and Horace Horsecollar. In the newspaper comic strips, this new character was first given the name Dippy Dawg. A 1938 book indicated the first change to Dippy's name, The Story of Dippy the Goof and by 1939 the final change was made with the release of the cartoon Goofy and Wilbur. Goofy was created as a human character, as opposed to Pluto, so he walked upright and had a speaking voice..."

careship

Original Poster
Me either. I was glad to have ran across this information and was happy to share it with other Disney fans.

General Grizz

Pop in 'Mickey: The Black and White Years'. Now go to the short 'Mickey's Revue'...

See that laughing goof? With that really annoying laugh?

That's Dippy Dawg's first performance. And it's quite a classic! :)

Donald's first is in the 'Wise Little Hen,' and this can be seen on the 'Silly Symphonies' DVD.

Both DVDs are on sale on limited edition as part as the Disney Treasures collection!

General Grizz

Actually, Pluto did speak...once! *Not counting his little consciences, of course*

'Moose Hunters,' not yet available on DVD yet (unless you have copies of Mouse Tracks or the Ink and Paint Club!) has Pluto saying his only words: "Yeah! Yeah!"

The voice of Pluto in this cartoon is none other than Bruce Willis.

*Just kidding! :lol:*

Woody13

It is my understanding that Dippy Dawg was called "The Goof" by the animators that drew the character. The name evolved into Goofy over time at the studio.

Bagheera

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Actually, Pluto did speak...once! *Not counting his little consciences, of course*

'Moose Hunters,' not yet available on DVD yet (unless you have copies of Mouse Tracks or the Ink and Paint Club!) has Pluto saying his only words: "Yeah! Yeah!"

The voice of Pluto in this cartoon is none other than Bruce Willis.

*Just kidding! :lol:*

Well, actually, that IS partly right. Pluto did speak once. It was two words. However, the words were "Kiss me", and the name of the short is "The Moose Hunt". "Moose Hunters" was a Donald and Goofy short.

General Grizz

Oh, dang it! Perhaps since that Donald and Goofy Cartoon is one of my absolute favorites, I got them confused.

However, Pluto DOES say "yeah! yeah!" in other shorts!

Sorry for the mixup! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom