Good Walt/ wdw biography

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
So I have some kindle credits and I'm always hearing about Walt's original "intentions" for the park especially Epcot. So I figured I'd pick up a good book on the subject. Can anyone recommend a good Walt disney biography or WdW history book to read.

gotta get it on Amazon to use the credits.

TIA

Magenta Panther

So I have some kindle credits and I'm always hearing about Walt's original "intentions" for the park especially Epcot. So I figured I'd pick up a good book on the subject. Can anyone recommend a good Walt disney biography or WdW history book to read.

gotta get it on Amazon to use the credits.

TIA

The best and most accurate biography of Walt Disney, hands down, is Bob Thomas' Walt Disney: An American Original. Thomas actually met and interviewed Walt himself several times, consulted with people who knew and/or worked for him, and got full access to materials in the Disney company to do accurate research. Plus it's a great read. It is no doubt available on Amazon. Enjoy!

the.dreamfinder

The best and most accurate biography of Walt Disney, hands down, is Bob Thomas' Walt Disney: An American Original. Thomas actually met and interviewed Walt himself several times, consulted with people who knew and/or worked for him, and got full access to materials in the Disney company to do accurate research. Plus it's a great read. It is no doubt available on Amazon. Enjoy!
Seconded. Also, if you want to read a biography that just focuses on his animated films, Michael Barrier’s “Walt Disney: An Animated Man” is a great choice.

BasiltheBatLord

I've only read Neal Gabler's biography Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination but I highly enjoyed it, one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read actually. I know some have issues with it though and it has been accused of being inaccurate in places.

DisneyFreak

JusticeDisney

I've only read Neal Gabler's biography Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination but I highly enjoyed it, one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read actually. I know some have issues with it though and it has been accused of being inaccurate in places.
Just out of curiosity, do you know what specifically has been accused of being inaccurate? Thanks!

Janir

Well I just saw this thread and I decided to pick up both for my Kindle. Chances are that I'll be reading them on my vacation in Aug as I have some other non-fiction work related stuff to plow through first.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

mharrington

Two other books you may want to consider for WDW include "Realityland" by David Koenig, which is all about the history of WDW (with an emphasis on how Walt's proposed Community of Tomorrow became the theme park of today)...
1273039.jpg

...and, in terms of a Walt Disney biography, "The Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney and the American Way of Life" by Steven Watts:
51auWqdlMaL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think that one in particular is a better book than Gabler's of the two, as it seems a little more nuanced. There are two whole subsections in this book about the Florida project, one on securing the land and the other on EPCOT in particular.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
For WDW and some Walt history Jim Korkis has his Vault of Walt series and the Secret Stories of WDW books. They are all good reads and have short sections on a variety of topics. He also came out with a making of WDW book, I have it but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

SirWillow

Just out of curiosity, do you know what specifically has been accused of being inaccurate? Thanks!

Late to the game, sorry.

His implications that Walt was anti-Semitic are also wildly inaccurate, and have been very specifically debunked by many of those who knew and worked with Walt. Marty Sklar, for example, has been very pointed in his comments about that not being true in the least.

Honestly I was a bit disappointed in Gabler's book as much of it felt like he was trying hard to find something scandalous about Walt and was having a hard time doing it. So he got a bit creative in spots, using some "liberties" to try to create some ideas about Walt that weren't really accurate. For example at one point he tries to paint Walt as sympathetic to communism while also opposing it.

I've read several biographies of Walt, and Thomas is the best out there. Yes, it's the "official" one, but it's also a very honest book about Walt.

Hitchens

I concur!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom