good/great italian?

htfdwlfpack

Original Poster
Ok so back when i was 10 years old, 25 years ago now, we walked into this little italin restaurant in the country of Italy.
1. is it still there? its was about 7 years ago
2. is there a place better?

Now im not saying it was great, or bad even. My memory is a little soft but i know i liked it ever year we've gone, which is only about 5 times since i was 10

So yeah, answers or suggestions, even in downtown disney

Thanks a bunch

chwilson88

It's an entirely new restaurant, by new owners, and with a new menu. It's not the same as it was 7 years ago. That restaurant was called Alfredo's Ristorante, and they had the most authentic, delicious, fresh fettucini alfredo. Now, Tutto Italia is the restaurant that is there, and it is doesn't hold a candle to the former.

NYwdwfan

There is nowhere in Walt Disney World to get "great Italian."

You're from New York - so am I - the standards are super high if you've ever eaten in NYC. :D Not being snobby - just reasonable. It's something about the water.

That being said - Mama Melrose was fun and decent, I thought. Although my husband mocked me about making a reservation for Italian in Florida. (I heard, "Who does that" for 4 straight days!!)

tigsmom

I have to agree...there is no great or even good Italian food in WDW, sorry.
We did enjoy Mama Melrose the one time we ate there though. :shrug:

zurgandfriend

I believe I’m in the minority when I say that between Tutto Italiano and Alfredo’s I enjoyed Tutto more.
The food was better prepared, and the service was outstanding. The night we dined at Alfredo’s the waiter acted as if he was doing us a favor serving us, probably just an off night but that’s what I’ll remember about Alfredo’s.
I will agree with everyone that “good” Italian food in Orlando is a lot different that "good" Italian in Boston, New York or most places in the Northeast. The second best Italian food I ever ate was in Milan Italy the best I ever ate was in my grandmother’s kitchen but again I digress.

Eyorefan

I'm from Texas, but I'll agree with the New Yorkers that there really isn't a great Italian food place in Disney World. I would say most of the Disney's Italin offerings are on par with the Olive Garden (and if you are talking about Tony's, I think that is being generous).

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to sound snobbish with my original post, but I'm incredibly spoiled living in Manhattan. Italian happens to be one of the cuisines NYC does really well. I'm sure someone from outside of the northeast, who thinks the Olive Garden is good Italian (again, not trying to sound snobbish) would probably think the Italian food at WDW was just great.

By the same token, I'm sure the people from Texas on the boards would say that there is nowhere in WDW to get great barbecue. (And for the record, there is NOWHERE in NYC to get great or even good barbecue)

Eyorefan

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to sound snobbish with my original post, but I'm incredibly spoiled living in Manhattan. Italian happens to be one of the cuisines NYC does really well. I'm sure someone from outside of the northeast, who thinks the Olive Garden is good Italian (again, not trying to sound snobbish) would probably think the Italian food at WDW was just great.

By the same token, I'm sure the people from Texas on the boards would say that there is nowhere in WDW to get great barbecue. (And for the record, there is NOWHERE in NYC to get great or even good barbecue)

I totally get what you mean, some geographical locations in the U.S. just do certain foods better than others. I am always left scratching my head when I hear people from the North say that San Angelo's has great Mexican food.

blondie27

I am still waiting to find Beef on Weck anywhere outside of Western New York State. Or a steak and cheese sub to rival Viola's in Niagara Falls.

There are many regional foods I love to eat when I am away from home. Why would I want to eat something that is not as good as I can get where I live, like italian food?

Phonedave

I am still waiting to find Beef on Weck anywhere outside of Western New York State. Or a steak and cheese sub to rival Viola's in Niagara Falls.

There are many regional foods I love to eat when I am away from home. Why would I want to eat something that is not as good as I can get where I live, like italian food?

I would not say Italian is a regional food. You can get Italian food, of varying quality, all over the country. You can get good Italian food all over the country for that matter.

Something like a Beef on Weck, or a Texas Weiner, or Poutine, or Disco Fries, you are not going to find much outside of Western NY, NJ, Manchester NH (and Canada), and again NJ. Those are regional foods. While tasty, I would also not call any of them fine dining.

-dave

Mouse Man

Portabella's in DTD is a whole lot better in taste and portions. I enjoyed eating there a whole lot better then at the Italian pavillian in EPCOT.

tigsmom

I would not say Italian is a regional food. You can get Italian food, of varying quality, all over the country. You can get good Italian food all over the country for that matter.

Something like a Beef on Weck, or a Texas Weiner, or Poutine, or Disco Fries, you are not going to find much outside of Western NY, NJ, Manchester NH (and Canada), and again NJ. Those are regional foods. While tasty, I would also not call any of them fine dining.

-dave

Disco Fries :hurl::hurl:

My daughter just started working in NJ and was introduced to these and nobody can understand why she passed on them :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
(same goes for poutine though I know many people who love it!)

I think the problem with the Italian food is that many people are used to the big chain restaurants and not the little mom & pop places that those living near ethnic enclaves can encounter, kinda like Chinatown or Koreatown...know what I mean?

JoMarch

I kind of agree with Nick A about the Italian cuisine in WDW - however, being in the food industry, I feel the comparision of Tutto and Chef Boyardee by Trotsky is a bit inaccurate.

It's in my opinion that Tutto is a few clicks above the Olive Garden or Johnny Carinos - which some feel this is GREAT Italian to them.

So if you like the Olive Garden or Johnny Carinos, you will probably also like Tutto.

Phonedave

Disco Fries :hurl::hurl:

My daughter just started working in NJ and was introduced to these and nobody can understand why she passed on them :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
(same goes for poutine though I know many people who love it!)

I think the problem with the Italian food is that many people are used to the big chain restaurants and not the little mom & pop places that those living near ethnic enclaves can encounter, kinda like Chinatown or Koreatown...know what I mean?

How can she pass on the glory that is Disco fries.

In my glory days Disco fries (gravy on the side) and a cup of coffee were THE go-to late night snack for me. The one diner near me used to serve the side of gravy in a coffee cup. I drink my coffee with milk. The two were very similar in color. There were a number of times I dipped a forkfull of cheesy fry goodness into the coffee. I also picked up the gravy a few times and took a slug of it. Having spent the evening at a local bar helped to facilitate this confusion.

Really though, fries are just potatoes. Potato, cheese, gravy - what's not to like?

-dave

mickey2008.1

Tutto is not great, but it is better than the olive garden. We always go to mama melrose because of the atmosphere and the food is pretty decent, never had to send anything back. We will try via napoli this time just for the pizza. I live in an area where there is a little Italy, small private owned restaurants, and they are fantastic.

tigsmom

How can she pass on the glory that is Disco fries.

In my glory days Disco fries (gravy on the side) and a cup of coffee were THE go-to late night snack for me. The one diner near me used to serve the side of gravy in a coffee cup. I drink my coffee with milk. The two were very similar in color. There were a number of times I dipped a forkfull of cheesy fry goodness into the coffee. I also picked up the gravy a few times and took a slug of it. Having spent the evening at a local bar helped to facilitate this confusion.

Really though, fries are just potatoes. Potato, cheese, gravy - what's not to like?

-dave
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I don't like gravy or cheese on my fries, gravy on mashed is the only way I will eat those. :slurp:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Checking in from Bergen County NJ.

Here is my list of italian Restaurants in WDW.

1. Tutto Italia; Yeah it's not world class. It is however very good food. I have eaten there 3 times and never had any complaints. (Price is a bit steep, but thats the case all over WDW)

2. Mama Melrose; Simple fare, fairly good. If you are looking for your basic Italian dishes prepared adequately, then this is a fine place to start. It is a very cool looking place, tucked away in a corner of DHS.

3. Il Mulino; In all fairness I am taking a guess with this one. I have had the NYC version and it was excellent, so I am assuming this place would be as well.

I have had portabello and Tony's and neither place is even worth talking about. As far as Tony's goes, I just can not enjoy Italian without a nice glass of wine to complement it. Portabello is overpriced garbage. Stay away. They are trying desperately to be a NYC upscale italian, and they fall flat.

For any of my fellow NYC area people, I have an out of the way place in the Theatre District to recommend. Maria Pia. It is a small place on 51st between 8th and 9th. Give it a try before a show, I promise you will be thanking me later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom