Going with First Time Visitors

TTARider

Ok, first lets just say i'm 17 years old and will be leading 3 or 4 high school band members around that have never been before. I myself have been 5 or 6 times and feel confident in my Disney knowledge, but I was wondering if anyone would have any great tips or anything. I know to be sure to use Fastpass right and hit all the Headliners, but maybe theres some information that could be useful in getting these people to enjoy themselves. Were from Texas so the June heat won't be a problem.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of The Magical Music Band something or another that HS Bands go through while there?

Geolinc

Let your friends do things that you may not be into because you've done them a few times and are no longer excited by them. Although having a Disney veteran with you can be great I think we sometimes forget what our own first trip was like. Have fun and you may find that you enjoy something that you haven't done in a while because you had done it before

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
TTARider said:
Ok, first lets just say i'm 17 years old and will be leading 3 or 4 high school band members around that have never been before. I myself have been 5 or 6 times and feel confident in my Disney knowledge, but I was wondering if anyone would have any great tips or anything. I know to be sure to use Fastpass right and hit all the Headliners, but maybe theres some information that could be useful in getting these people to enjoy themselves. Were from Texas so the June heat won't be a problem.

Also, does anyone have any knowledge of The Magical Music Band something or another that HS Bands go through while there?

When you're there for the week, you can get a list of all the bands and performances during that week.

You're suggestion of using fastpass is a very good one. The other thing I would do is suggest they study maps the day before they are going to go to a specific part to familiarize themselves and pick out what they want to do. Also possibly get a copy of one of the Disney guidebooks and have people study up.

Upvote 0

Interruption?

Hit the headliners, use the fastpasses, definitely do the countries in EPCoT but let them do what they want. Make sure they don't waste time repeating rides. That was what my Disney Veteran aunt made sure I was avoiding when I went the first time when I was 7 and I'm very happy she did.

Upvote 0

TTARider

Original Poster
EPCOT will just be me and my girlfriend and I have a dinner set up at the San Angel Inn. She like me enjoys learning and should really enjoy EPCOT.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I would suggest letting your friends pick and choose the rides and attractions, use your knowledge as an advisor. Definitely recommend either a good guide book (The Unofficial Guide is certainly my favourite) or use the park maps to plan your day before you enter the parks.
Finally as different 4 people are travelling together you need to decide on a plan of action should there be a dispute over ride choices, meal choices etc BEFORE you depart. The last thing that you want is a big row in the middle of your trip

Upvote 0

daverube

TTARider said:
EPCOT will just be me and my girlfriend and I have a dinner set up at the San Angel Inn. She like me enjoys learning and should really enjoy EPCOT.

As you are from Texas, you may want to consider a different choice of food than Mexican. Being from what once was New Orleans, we had lots of great restaurants featuring lots of different cuisine. That being said, my fiancee and I REALLY love french food. The Chefs de France is a great restaurant. The food choices are outlandish and they are prepared really well. In fact, one of my best friends returned today from his WDW trip....he said that the Chefs de France was top notch, as usual.

As for your friends, I hope they enjoy their time. Remember to try to avoid dining in during traditional lunch hours. I find it is better to eat lunch after 2pm and dinner as late a possible.....besides, if you ever get hungry in the MK, a Dole Whip Float isn't that far away!!!!!

When travelling through the MK, I've always found it easier to hit all the rides by starting in Adventureland....it seems we can make it through that area, Frontierland and Liberty Square before our 2pm lunch time....that leaves alot of time to do Fantasyland and Tomorrowland....

I hope this helps....

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

What great fun!

I'm an old geezer now, but have been on many a group trip to themeparks. One thing I would strongly suggest is that you make some sort of plan in advance - especially around meals and rides that not everyone wants to do. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted because two people in the group (let's call them Bo and Jo) wanted to ride something and the other two (Lu and Su) didn't so they said they'd wait. Then, about 15 minutes into the wait, Lu decided she was thirsty and headed off to find a drink. Meanwhile, the ride ended, Bo and Jo returned, but Jo had to potty, so off she went. Lu returns with a Dole Whip - couldn't find a drink and this looked better anyway, and Bo just HAD to have one too. Off goes Bo, and Jo comes out all refreshed, but wants to duck into the gift shop to get the Tshirt she had been debating. And just when Bo returns with HIS Dole Whip, Jo decides she's hungry too but for real food - not ice cream. You can guess the rest....Through all of this, poor old Su - that's me - is really just standing there directing traffic.
Do everything you can to keep the group together or else you'll spend most of your time looking for people and waiting for people.

Also, I agree with other posters. Try to get the other folks to tell you their must-do things, and be sure those get done. They will want to do everything but they probably can't.

And finally, try to act a little bit like you are discovering stuff along with them. Fortunately that's easy to do at Disney!

Your friends are very lucky. I think it is great to have someone along who knows where to go and what to do.

Upvote 0

TTARider

Original Poster
DisneyMarg said:
What great fun!

I'm an old geezer now, but have been on many a group trip to themeparks. One thing I would strongly suggest is that you make some sort of plan in advance - especially around meals and rides that not everyone wants to do. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted because two people in the group (let's call them Bo and Jo) wanted to ride something and the other two (Lu and Su) didn't so they said they'd wait. Then, about 15 minutes into the wait, Lu decided she was thirsty and headed off to find a drink. Meanwhile, the ride ended, Bo and Jo returned, but Jo had to potty, so off she went. Lu returns with a Dole Whip - couldn't find a drink and this looked better anyway, and Bo just HAD to have one too. Off goes Bo, and Jo comes out all refreshed, but wants to duck into the gift shop to get the Tshirt she had been debating. And just when Bo returns with HIS Dole Whip, Jo decides she's hungry too but for real food - not ice cream. You can guess the rest....Through all of this, poor old Su - that's me - is really just standing there directing traffic.
Do everything you can to keep the group together or else you'll spend most of your time looking for people and waiting for people.

Also, I agree with other posters. Try to get the other folks to tell you their must-do things, and be sure those get done. They will want to do everything but they probably can't.

And finally, try to act a little bit like you are discovering stuff along with them. Fortunately that's easy to do at Disney!

Your friends are very lucky. I think it is great to have someone along who knows where to go and what to do.

You'd think that they'd at least look at a park map or something, but I've been asked by one member if its like Six Flags:brick::cry:

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Well, I can understand that. I went as an adult the first time I went, and I just couldn't think of anything that sounded like it in my experience other than Six Flags. You can tell them it's more and better, but it's hard to imagine until you've seen it yourself.

But if they won't even look at a map then you DO have your hands full!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom