Going to WDW after a heart attack

Mikester71

So after logging off of my computer (and this site) on Feb. 17 at my usual 4:30ish am, I climbed into bed only to be awoke at 7am out of a dead sleep with wicked chest pains. I thought maybe I just had bad indigestion or heartburn since I had been taking tums before bedtime for about a week or so leading up to this event, so rolled out of bed to grab some when I realized that it was definitely not just heartburn. Could not catch my breath when I stood up and had pretty bad pain all across the front of my chest and between my shoulder blades. I laid back down in bed and called my wife (who was on her way home from work) to tell her that I wanted to go to the emerg here at our local hospital. Good thing I did, as it turned out I had suffered a minor heart attack and ended up spending a week in the hospital as they monitored my heart and blood pressure and all that other good stuff, and at ONLY 42 years of age!!

I was sent to a bigger hospital out of town for a day during my hospital stay so that they could give me an angiogram to get to the bottom of it. The results were good - although it was a heart attack I suffered, there was no blockage in my arteries or permanent damage to the heart. I did have some plaque buildup though and my blood pressure and cholesterol were all out of whack, so I am now on a few medications to help bring those under control and am back at home on the mend. I am taking this recent health scare pretty serious and have made some drastic changes to my lifestyle since getting released from the hospital.

So to get to my questions here, and the reason for this post (sorry for the back story there :oops:). I was wondering if anybody on here has suffered a heart attack and how it affected future trips you took to WDW?

Like I said, I am on medications now (probably for life the doctor said) and have changed my whole diet and am trying to eat healthier and all of that. Do you allow yourself to still indulge in all the yummy treats and meals WDW has to offer or do you stick to a strict, heart-healthy diet (if you are on one) while in the World?? Does WDW have a lot of options for people who do adhere to such diets?

As for the parks, I know the walking will be great exercise for the ole ticker. How about rides and attractions though? Do you still ride all of the attractions after your heart problems or do you steer clear of the big ones now?

Thanks to all that read and answer and feel free to chime in if you think of anything else that might help me when it comes to this topic! :)

DisneyGuyNYC

I think Disney is actually ideal for this kind of thing. They're world class at accommodating ones needs.

I would do my best to eat as heart healthy as possible. If you're usually on your best behavior at home I would let myself choose one indulgence each day on your trip (a Dole Whip, a breakfast treat, etc.) with your doctors approval.

I'd avoid the few more "thrilly" rides they have, such as the Yeti, but gladly they have tons of very entertaining shows and ride that won't put any stress on your heart.

I would take lots of breaks and be sure to keep an eye on how your feeling. Make sure you have a copy of you basic medical info with you just in case.

Remember to tell the Cast Members wherever you're eating that you'll be looking for the most "heart healthy" options they have. They'll have some good recommendations.

Have fun and stay safe! Glad you're okay.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Ok,First let me say welcome back to your other family of Disney brothers & sisters.Glad your feeling better.I would or course get advice from your doctor,did he say what possibly brought it on. I think the likes of roller coasters or simulators like Mission Space would be a no no.The food side of things also could come into factor.I don't mean no more dogs,but things like the " Turkey Leg " might be out the window.But I would certainly take advice from the doc..As I sit here this morning,typing away on my I- Pad,I'am spluttering and wheezing into paper hankies,I think the feel good factor of being in Disney is the best medicine of all.Me,I would watch what I eat,what I drink,:( and what I go on.Just relax and walk at your own pace and enjoy the magic.Now where's my Kleenex.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Welcome back and I am glad you are feeling better!:) Please follow your docs advice as far as diet and exercise goes we want you around for a long time! So go and enjoy your time in the world it is a great place for those on a special diet my ds has allergies and they are great, Disney also does low fat vegan etc they are very accomodating. As far as rides go you and your doc should decide if you may need to skip any! Please take this time of recovery to enjoy your life as one never knows what lies ahead! When you are up to it we have a thread down in chit chat called Working Out for Disney it's just a place to check in no pressure just a lot of support to get us up and moving please visit us, even if you can bearly get around the block we will be there for you! best wishes and pixie dust are being sent your way for a total recovery!

Upvote 0

shipley731

It's good to hear you are on the mend.

My husband didn't have a heart attack, but at his annual check up about 6 years ago, he told the doctor he felt like something was wrong. He got out of breath very easily & was much more tired than he used to be. Doctor replied "well you are a little overweight & out of shape". Husband insisted it was more than that. After a bunch of tests, we found out he had 3 significant blockages and needed to undergo a triple bypass. (We no longer go to that primary care doctor by the way.) He was 40. He came through the surgery fine. We had scheduled a December trip to WDW back in October before all of this happened. The trip was about 5 weeks after his surgery. I was just going to cancel, but DH insisted we wait & see how he was feeling. (It was a room only reservation as we only live 2 hours away and had annual passes. We could have cancelled up until 5 days prior.) We ended up going on the trip. He took it easy & didn't ride anything that he thought might mess with his chest, but did fine. He was still watching what he ate then (he doesn't really do that so much anymore), but we had no issue finding food that fit into his suggested diet. He asked his surgeon about the trip before we went, and the surgeon said to just take it easy & he should be fine. Also added that the change of scenery might be good for him & the walking would help in his recovery.

He started riding the Universal rollercoasters again probably about 4 months after surgery. He had his 5 year post-op follow up last fall and the doctors are pleased with his progress. (They want him to lose a little weight, but other than that, he is doing well.)

Talk to your doctor and follow his advice.

Upvote 0

littleroo

I think most rides you will be able to do again. As Hatter stated, Mission space, Expedition EVerest, TOT, are probably out:( but ask your doctor. My dad is almost 70 and had a heart attack 7 years ago and he has no restraints physically. He eats much, much healthier now and still enjoys his wine.

I am so glad you are doing well!! I am sorry for your scary experience and wish you a fast recovery!

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

I too am glad you are on the mend. This is a serious situation. You wrote:

Do you allow yourself to still indulge in all the yummy treats and meals WDW has to offer or do you stick to a strict, heart-healthy diet (if you are on one) while in the World??

Do you still ride all of the attractions after your heart problems or do you steer clear of the big ones now?

I honestly feel if you don't already know the answers to these question, at this stage in your recovery you are not ready to go back to WDW. Not trying to be harsh, but real.
I went back too early from back surgery (not nearly as serious as heart attack) and it was a huge mistake.
WDW is always going to be there...give recovery a little longer and then when you do go back:
Stick to a strict, heart-healthy diet (if you are on one) while in the World and steer clear of the big ones now, if not for you, for your family. Of course this is just my opinion following a different medical event.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

My boyfriend went into CHF as a result of untreated AFib 2 years ago right before my 50th bday trip to Vegas...He was released the day before our flight out to Vegas...docs said go and live and take it easy..and that is what we did for the 4 days..Walks,naps,no drinking. We still had fun. He did not feel good. The new medicines were the life saving kind and they of course made him feel bad. But he would have felt bad at home and since we weren't leaving the country where healthcare might be substandard or unavailable we did not cancel our trip....just took it real slow and easy..
I would say let your body and your doctor help you make decisions with trips and lifestyle choices of course. And healthy eating as well as limited alcohol intake is a must with heart disease... I think Jim's doctor gave him good advice...which was walking is good, do it till your tired and then rest, and live your life.
Stay well and healthy. Jim's first heart attack was at 41. He is now 61 and 3 heart attacks into the disease. Heart disease is a killer... nowadays you can often manage it and live to a nice old age thanks to modern medicine, so take care of yourself!

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
Thanks for all the well-wishes and kind words, everyone! And thanks for all the advice - very much appreciated! :)

Like I said, I am home and on the mend (off work for a while, so THAT is kinda nice) and listening to everything my family doctor and heart doctor are telling me. I'm looking at this experience as a wake-up call; time to make a few changes in my life. I don't smoke and hardly drink alcohol any more, but was letting myself get lazy and out of shape. It's time to start exercising daily again for this guy. I am lucky to have a wife who supports me and we are both on our way to making ourselves healthier through exercise and a better diet.

As for going back to WDW, like I said, that is not for a couple of years at the earliest. We wish it could be earlier, but even before all of this, April 2015 was looking like our best bet to get back down there. Even though it may seem like an eternity to some and WAY too far out to even plan for, we like having a date to look forward to, even if it is a couple of years away. It gives us something to look forward to on those gloomy days or when times are tough.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
It's good to hear you are on the mend.

My husband didn't have a heart attack, but at his annual check up about 6 years ago, he told the doctor he felt like something was wrong. He got out of breath very easily & was much more tired than he used to be. Doctor replied "well you are a little overweight & out of shape". Husband insisted it was more than that. After a bunch of tests, we found out he had 3 significant blockages and needed to undergo a triple bypass. (We no longer go to that primary care doctor by the way.) He was 40. He came through the surgery fine. We had scheduled a December trip to WDW back in October before all of this happened. The trip was about 5 weeks after his surgery. I was just going to cancel, but DH insisted we wait & see how he was feeling. (It was a room only reservation as we only live 2 hours away and had annual passes. We could have cancelled up until 5 days prior.) We ended up going on the trip. He took it easy & didn't ride anything that he thought might mess with his chest, but did fine. He was still watching what he ate then (he doesn't really do that so much anymore), but we had no issue finding food that fit into his suggested diet. He asked his surgeon about the trip before we went, and the surgeon said to just take it easy & he should be fine. Also added that the change of scenery might be good for him & the walking would help in his recovery.

He started riding the Universal rollercoasters again probably about 4 months after surgery. He had his 5 year post-op follow up last fall and the doctors are pleased with his progress. (They want him to lose a little weight, but other than that, he is doing well.)

Talk to your doctor and follow his advice.

Really glad to hear that your husband is doing well. It is definitely really scary to go through, and I didn't even have the bypass surgery like your husband. It's a definite wake-up call, that's for sure. I don't know what it is about us men reaching that magical "40", but it sounds like our bodies decide to give us a little scare to tell us to slow down or something!!

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
My boyfriend went into CHF as a result of untreated AFib 2 years ago right before my 50th bday trip to Vegas...He was released the day before our flight out to Vegas...docs said go and live and take it easy..and that is what we did for the 4 days..Walks,naps,no drinking. We still had fun. He did not feel good. The new medicines were the life saving kind and they of course made him feel bad. But he would have felt bad at home and since we weren't leaving the country where healthcare might be substandard or unavailable we did not cancel our trip....just took it real slow and easy..
I would say let your body and your doctor help you make decisions with trips and lifestyle choices of course. And healthy eating as well as limited alcohol intake is a must with heart disease... I think Jim's doctor gave him good advice...which was walking is good, do it till your tired and then rest, and live your life.
Stay well and healthy. Jim's first heart attack was at 41. He is now 61 and 3 heart attacks into the disease. Heart disease is a killer... nowadays you can often manage it and live to a nice old age thanks to modern medicine, so take care of yourself!

Thank God for modern medicine!! And doctors with good advice! My dad is going to be 70 this year and like Jim, has had 3 heart attacks too. He's had a couple of bypass surgeries and seems pretty good today considering. He started eating a bit healthier and walks something like 5miles a day, which I'm guessing is what it helping him the most. He still smokes, which drives his doctors and us crazy, but what can you do. He's a big boy and it's his life!

Thanks and hope Jim is doing well. :)

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
I think most rides you will be able to do again. As Hatter stated, Mission space, Expedition EVerest, TOT, are probably out:( but ask your doctor. My dad is almost 70 and had a heart attack 7 years ago and he has no restraints physically. He eats much, much healthier now and still enjoys his wine.

I am so glad you are doing well!! I am sorry for your scary experience and wish you a fast recovery!

Glad to hear your father pulled through everything okay and is healthy today!

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
Welcome back and I am glad you are feeling better!:) Please follow your docs advice as far as diet and exercise goes we want you around for a long time! So go and enjoy your time in the world it is a great place for those on a special diet my ds has allergies and they are great, Disney also does low fat vegan etc they are very accomodating. As far as rides go you and your doc should decide if you may need to skip any! Please take this time of recovery to enjoy your life as one never knows what lies ahead! When you are up to it we have a thread down in chit chat called Working Out for Disney it's just a place to check in no pressure just a lot of support to get us up and moving please visit us, even if you can bearly get around the block we will be there for you! best wishes and pixie dust are being sent your way for a total recovery!

Awww, thanks Figgy! Will have to check out that other thread, for sure!

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
Ok,First let me say welcome back to your other family of Disney brothers & sisters.Glad your feeling better.I would or course get advice from your doctor,did he say what possibly brought it on. I think the likes of roller coasters or simulators like Mission Space would be a no no.The food side of things also could come into factor.I don't mean no more dogs,but things like the " Turkey Leg " might be out the window.But I would certainly take advice from the doc..As I sit here this morning,typing away on my I- Pad,I'am spluttering and wheezing into paper hankies,I think the feel good factor of being in Disney is the best medicine of all.Me,I would watch what I eat,what I drink,:( and what I go on.Just relax and walk at your own pace and enjoy the magic.Now where's my Kleenex.

Hope you get well soon, hatter!

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

I had a minor heart attack in December 2011, which required a stent. I'm on meds for blood pressure and cholesterol, both of which are in a good place now. I asked my doctor this question before I booked my trip this past November. I was told I have no restrictions in rides, loops included. The only thing I was told was to think about skipping rides that give me a feeling of fear. Just that the chemicals produced can cause a sensation if chest pain. As far as indulging my diet, I follow a pretty good diet, with some "cheats" occasionally. This is what I'll follow during my trip.

Upvote 0

luv

Eating the crap that Disney serves up will not help.

I haven't had an MI and my heart is in good shape, but I did need to change to a no-fat, low-sodium, low-carb diet. This leaves bits of Kleenex and dust bunnies for food, btw.

On occasion, I eat something in the parks, but not often...and if I even half, that's a lot of it. Even a bite is joy for me and I'm thrilled to have it. I still think about it a lot, lol, but...

When you change your diet, you really must commit to it and just forget about all the lovely food they advertise on TV and that you see everywhere around you.

I am certain your diet is less restrictive than mine, lol, and that you can still enjoy many things.

But if I were you, I'd get a place with a kitchen and buy food you can make. A week or ten days of eating nothing but crap won't help.

For the rides and stuff, you have to ask your doctor. I am currently on, and I quote, "NO physical restrictions." He smiled when he said it and I smiled, too. Still, I started to say, "Can I -" and he cut me off, saying, "Yes. NO physical restrictions."

Woo Hoo. :)

Upvote 0

shipley731

Thanks for the good wishes. :) If I could only get him to eat less crap...

He still smokes, which drives his doctors and us crazy, but what can you do. He's a big boy and it's his life!

According to my husband's doctor, diet & taking medicine regularly are important, but smoking is the killer. My husband smoked probably a pack a day prior to his surgery. He knew he shouldn't be doing it as he was already on blood pressure medicine & had a family history of heart disease. The surgery was a wake up call. The doctor told him that if he quit smoking, he could expect the first bypass to last 15-20 years. If he didn't quit smoking, he'd see him back in the OR in 5 years or less. He hasn't smoked since a day and a half before his surgery in November 2007.

Incidentally, my mother had a similar experience. She had a heart attack & a triple bypass at 45 (year 1990). She will tell you that the last cigarette she had was on the way to the hospital. She calls her first bypass surgery her $70,000 stop smoking course.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom