Going to try DDP for the first time, help?

cynic710

Original Poster
First off, its best to know we are going as a party of 10, 4 kids under 4 and 6 adults. we went in 2011 and didn't do the DDP. This time, since we are staying on site we want to give it a try. My question is this.....When we went in 2011 we did only 1 character breakfast and 1 "sit-down" dinner for the 6 days we were there, and because we will be with small children, the chances of us doing more sit down dinners is pretty slim. So ill be there 8 days, is the dining plan with one sit-down a night plan worth it? or can I get away with just the quick snack plan and still get my one or two special dining events in?

when is getting the snack plan the way to go?

Disvillain63

We gave it our one and only try in November 2012 and found that it was not worth it for our family. To make it worthwhile, you have to eat a lot of food and usually the more expensive dishes. Otherwise, you come out better with a pay-as-you-dine plan. I buy Disney gift cards before the trip and use these for dining.

minnielaw

If you know that you only plan to do one "sit down" meal and one character meal during your stay, the Quick Service Dining Plan is definitely the better option. It will provide two Quick Service (non sit down meals) per day plus one snack per person per night of your visit. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...altDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2014QuickService.pdf
This link will take you directly to Disney's site and a brochure explaining the Quick Service Plan.

Many people will suggest that you sit down and plan out all of your meals in order to determine if the cost of the dining plan is "worth it" for you. While this is a great idea...not many of us want to go to such trouble. There is also a "value" to having your meals pre-paid and not worrying about the individual cost of what each person wants to order. If your children are under 3, they don't qualify for the dining plan either.

Whether or not to use the DDP is such a personal decision and you will find widely divergent opinions on this forum. I have used the DDP on my last three trips. I don't think that I will use it again...not because it is inherently "bad" but because it no longer works for my family.

minnielaw

Sorry for the double reply, but forgot to mention an important point. If your children are under age 9, they MUST eat off the kids menu at all restaurants. This may not be a big deal, but the kids menu at most restaurants is fairly limited and consists of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chicken nuggets or mac and cheese.

You can search out more inventive offerings at several restaurants. If your child is a picky eater I would suggest looking at the menus before you travel and determine what restaurants serve items on their kids menu that your child will eat. We did this before our first trip and it was a LIFE SAVER! Nothing like schlepping across a crowded park to reach your restaurant, wait in line 15 minutes to get to the cashier and then discovering that they have nothing that your child will eat :arghh: Time is valuable at WDW and pre-planning is the key to survival.

zurgandfriend

As other have stated and just MHO but if you are not into a sit down dinner every night I would go with a QS/Snack plan rather than the DDP where you one table service meal credit every day.

Weather_Lady

The standard DDP is a nice option for keeping things simple when traveling with a larger party, and the pre-planning aspect for TS meals can actually help by preventing situations where everyone is standing around going, "what do you want to do? I don't know, what do YOU want to do?". You are unlikely to save much money (though with good planning you can at least break even), but the simplicity is worth it when you have a big, diverse bunch of people.

Here's what I'd recommend (such advice is highly individualized, so you'll have to take it with a grain of salt). Planning your dining really has to dovetail with your touring itinerary planning.:

1 - You have several months to plan. Designate yourself as the official table-service meal planner and touring itinerary maker. Have a little family meeting to educate your traveling party about some restaurant and touring options (or watch the WDW planning DVD and distribute an information sheet and survey for both dining and attractions -- I know it sounds like overkill, but I did this and it really, really helped!). Find out and write down everyone's food allergies and aversions, favorite cuisine type, etc., and who-can-do-what in terms of attractions If they have any "must-do" restaurants or activities, this is the time for them to speak up or forever hold their peace. See how they feel about character meals and/or meet-and-greets. If they're going to have one "big" meal per day, do they prefer a leisurely breakfast, a lunch or a dinner? Which park(s) interest them the most? (Keep in mind that you'll maximize the value of your TS credits by focusing on expensive venues at dinnertime, and by avoiding 2-credit restaurants and dinner shows unless you want to pay for them out of pocket.)

2 - Once you have that information, make a list of the best restaurant choices for your party. If they want variety, try not to visit more than one restaurant that serves the same kind of cuisine, or do more than one character meal with the same characters. Once you have the restaurants chosen, make out a rough draft of your touring itinerary (e.g., AK on Monday morning, Epcot's Future World on Monday afternoon) so you know which park you'll most likely visit during the morning and evening each day. See if you can match your ADRs to the parks you intend to visit. Then list the date, restaurant, and ideal time you want so you can use it as a reference when you make your ADRs. For popular restaurants, include a back-up restaurant you can book if your chosen restaurant is full. (e.g., 'Ohana with Kona Cafe as a back-up at 6:00pm on your last full day, when you plan to visit the MK, etc.) If you wish, double-check the menus for those restaurants to ensure that they offer a standard Americanized kids' menu (so many of them do that you can probably skip this step). Unless you plan to visit Victoria & Albert's, small children (especially if they're well rested from a midday nap) are welcome everywhere! Restaurants offer colorful (and color-able) kids' menu placemats that help to keep the kids' entertained, and you may be surprised at how well the kids do at a sit-down restaurant. (If you don't think they will and really only want a couple of sit-down experiences, burn those credits with 2-credit kid-friendly experiences like dinner with the princesses at Cinderella's Royal Table and a boisterous dinner show like the Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue, and pay out of pocket for additional counter service meals.)

3 - 180 days out from your arrival date, make your ADRs online at 6am. (Start with the most popular options you want, and then get to the easier-to-make ADRs later.. That means Cinderella's Royal Table before Biergarten, Hoop-de-Doo before Whispering Canyon). If and when you get a pop-up screen allowing you to add food allergies, do so if there are any for the people in your party. WDW is GREAT about working around them, and will typically send a chef to your table to tell the persons with allergies what they can/can't have from the menu, and what dishes can be modified to accommodate them.

4 - Once the ADRs are made, circulate a draft itinerary (with the ADRs) to everyone in the group, emphasizing that except for times where the group has an ADR, they are free to depart from it at will. For a group with small children, I really recommend: (a) mornings that are relatively unscheduled with everyone on their own for breakfast, and a park designated for the "ropedrop early risers" at which "late sleepers" can later join them for a CS lunch at the CS place of their choice, or go off somewhere else if they prefer; (b) an unscheduled period from 1pm-4pm, during which those with small children can return to the resort for naps or swimming; and (c) a 4pm-bedtime park, at or near which the whole group is expected to meet up for a dinner ADR. Encourage the parents of small children to get them to bed around their regular bedtime every night except the last one. (This is a great way to prevent any meltdowns.) Obviously, to allow everyone sufficient flexibility, you'd need parkhopper tickets to make this work. You also should take into account the likely extra magic hours schedule for your travel dates. If you want to make use of EMH for rope drop, I suggest hopping to a different park later (as EMH parks will have higher crowds all day). Conversely, if you want to do evening EMH, hop to the EMH park in the evening from another, non-EMH park.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

First off, its best to know we are going as a party of 10, 4 kids under 4 and 6 adults. we went in 2011 and didn't do the DDP. This time, since we are staying on site we want to give it a try. My question is this.....When we went in 2011 we did only 1 character breakfast and 1 "sit-down" dinner for the 6 days we were there, and because we will be with small children, the chances of us doing more sit down dinners is pretty slim. So ill be there 8 days, is the dining plan with one sit-down a night plan worth it? or can I get away with just the quick snack plan and still get my one or two special dining events in?

I've never heard of a snack plan. I know that the 2014 Counter Service (a/k/a Quick Service) dining plan now costs more than you'd pay for similar items out of pocket, and is generally not recommended. It now includes 2 QS meals and 1 snack per person, per day. (It used to offer 2 snacks per day.)

The analysis/advice I gave above was based on the regular DDP, which I would recommend given the size of your group.

andy773

Here is an on-line tool to help you get an idea if the DDP makes sense for your group.

http://www.distripplanner.com/

I really wanted to try the DDP for our upcoming trip, but just couldn't get the numbers to make sense for our group.

Also, the Disney Food Blog has lots of information and advice about the DDP.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-dining-plans/

If you decide to go with the DDP, the Disney Food Blog site also gives you advice on making the most of your credits.

lilclerk

If you do table service as a party of 10 you will spend A LOT of your time every day sitting in restaurants.
Lots of time and money on tips! Keep in mind the DDP doesn't include gratuities, so that would need to be factored into your budgets as well. If you normally only do 1-2 sit downs a trip, it's going to be a big jump to one every day. I do think it's nice to have the majority of the meals paid for ahead of the trip, but it's a lot to plan and consider even with the QS DDP.
Also remember they are charging fees to cancel same day at any restaurant, that's something else to consider with such a large party.

minniemickeyfan

For us we like to do 1-2 table service meals so we usually buy gift cards to pay for them and for all our counter food if you like the prepaid aspect. . The quick service plan is overpriced for what you get.

kasey1988

I would reccomend the quick service plan if you only plan on one or two table service meals for your entire trip and pay for those out of pocket. Also with groups of 6 or more disney automatically adds 18% gratuity to your bill for table services.
We always use th dining plan, but have gotten it free and it is just 2 adults.. I have heard from family that it can be challenging to have dining reservations with little ones, they reccomended using the reservations for breakfast when traveling with children, this might be an idea if you choose the regular dining plan, but breakfasts are usually cheaper to so you might not break even.

So many factors to consider... I think if we had to pay for the dining plan I would sit down and work out where we would eat, look at menus and work out prices to see if we would break even.. On average for our 11 night trip we would have spent $1200+ for two adults on food if we had not had free dining.

cynic710

Original Poster
so quick-service is basically useless, my biggest concern is "extra" money beyond purchasing the plan (tips, other snacks, etc) and the time devoted each day to a sit down meal. I will bring this info to the group and discuss.

now what about the two children going that will be 2 and under? can they pick from our plates or are they strict about that? typically my daughter has her baby snacks plus so bites from whatever im eating so is that going to fly?
by the way everyone, thanks so much, this has been great info!

Tom 55

Is this you are paying upfront for the Disney Dinning Plan or you have one of the Free Disney Dinning promo's? In your situation it does not sound like a good deal to pay the upfront dining plan. If it is free Disney dinning. The sit down meals can be used for character meals. Most of them are buffets. Most are breakfast or dinner. So pick what characters you want to see and plan that way.

Weather_Lady

so quick-service is basically useless, my biggest concern is "extra" money beyond purchasing the plan (tips, other snacks, etc) and the time devoted each day to a sit down meal. I will bring this info to the group and discuss.

now what about the two children going that will be 2 and under? can they pick from our plates or are they strict about that? typically my daughter has her baby snacks plus so bites from whatever im eating so is that going to fly?
by the way everyone, thanks so much, this has been great info!

Absolutely, 2 and under are free and can share food purchased by others in your party at both counter service and table service restaurants, even at table service buffets. There is no charge for that, with or without the dining plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom