Going over to the darkside

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
OK you guys it's all your fault LOL Now we're thinking about staying on sight at UNI for our days over there. The current thought plan is to do 4 days there checking in on our first day. I'm not worried about express pass as my boys are into Potter big time. Mostly looking for the extra hour in the morning. On the day we get there can we drop the car at the hotel before check in time? And can we get in early if we're checking in that day? THNX

BrerJon

OK you guys it's all your fault LOL Now we're thinking about staying on sight at UNI for our days over there. The current thought plan is to do 4 days there checking in on our first day. I'm not worried about express pass as my boys are into Potter big time. Mostly looking for the extra hour in the morning. On the day we get there can we drop the car at the hotel before check in time? And can we get in early if we're checking in that day? THNX

If your boys are into Potter they are going to love staying onsite as there's so much to do. Even casting all the spells on the wand map could take a whole afternoon!

Cabana Bay is a great choice, great value for money and easy transportation (or walking if you feel like the exercise) and if the room isn't ready for you to check in they'll take care of your bags and let you head over to the parks for a few hours, but if a room is available they'll get you checked in right away, even if you arrive early.

Bairstow

In my experience, early entry isn't all it's cracked up to be. Everyone tends to rush whichever big Potter attraction is open for the entry and the queue quickly balloons to maximum size, and your options for doing other things is severely limited.

Also, how old are your kids? 4 days is starting to push what you can do in those two parks.

BrerJon

Also, how old are your kids? 4 days is starting to push what you can do in those two parks.

4 days just at the parks is a lot, although it would make for a very relaxing time, but the great thing about Universal though is you're right by International Drive so not only do you have the pool, bowling alley etc. at the hotel if you want some time out from the parks, but you've got tons of other attractions in the area to explore.

Kit83

Just wanted to add a note ..Early entry is only through IOA so there is only access to Hogworts side until around 8.45am when Hogworts express opens, only then can you get to Diagon Alley . So with Diagon Alley you only get a small head start on non resort guests .

When the express opens up it can vary by 5 or ten minutes, for example we were told one day it would be 8.45am so as we had done the ride twice we decided to wait but then it opened at 8.35am.

Edit ...I see from other posts entry through IOA only is seasonal our visit was in May .

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
In my experience, early entry isn't all it's cracked up to be. Everyone tends to rush whichever big Potter attraction is open for the entry and the queue quickly balloons to maximum size, and your options for doing other things is severely limited.

They'll be 14 and 22 and I'm thinking 2 days just for Potter. Besides after 14 days at Disney we'll want to slow down a bit.

Bairstow

Just wanted to add a note ..Early entry is only through IOA

Doesn't that depend on the season, though?
They seem to go back and forth between the two parks at different times of the year.

They'll be 14 and 22 and I'm thinking 2 days just for Potter. Besides after 14 days at Disney we'll want to slow down a bit.

14 days?
Wow. You folks definitely spend time on a different scale than we do.
Maybe 4 days at Universal wouldn't be too out of line, then.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Doesn't that depend on the season, though?
They seem to go back and forth between the two parks at different times of the year.

14 days?
Wow. You folks definitely spend time on a different scale than we do, then.
Maybe 4 days at Universal wouldn't be too out of line, then.
Due to some family issues it will have been 3 years since our last vacation and my dh can bank vacation days so It's going to be a bit longer than usual.

Stefan8

Awesome! As a European, I think Americans need to take way more and longer vacations! And after three years you certainly deserve/need a break.

Especially when visiting theme parks, it's nice to be able to spread it out so you don't feel rushed. Enjoy.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Awesome! As a European, I think Americans need to take way more and longer vacations! And after three years you certainly deserve/need a break.

Especially when visiting theme parks, it's nice to be able to spread it out so you don't feel rushed. Enjoy.
THNX We'd rather go every 2 or 3 years for several weeks than every year for one! I don't like feeling rushed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skip

You'll find plenty to do with 4 days, especially with those ages. You can definitely spend an entire day - probably more - in Potter, if you're a big fan who wants to check out every shop, performance, restaurant, ride, etc. - and of course, tack on another 2 hours if you buy a wand so you can find all the spell windows.

You'll have a great time. Cabana Bay is a fantastic resort!

lebeau

Just wanted to add a note ..Early entry is only through IOA so there is only access to Hogworts side until around 8.45am when Hogworts express opens, only then can you get to Diagon Alley . So with Diagon Alley you only get a small head start on non resort guests .

When the express opens up it can vary by 5 or ten minutes, for example we were told one day it would be 8.45am so as we had done the ride twice we decided to wait but then it opened at 8.35am.

My understanding is that both parks currently offer Early Park Admission through Aug 2.

JediMasterMatt

OK you guys it's all your fault LOL Now we're thinking about staying on sight at UNI for our days over there. The current thought plan is to do 4 days there checking in on our first day. I'm not worried about express pass as my boys are into Potter big time.

Even if you don't think you are interested in the Express Pass, I would strongly recommend reconsidering your plans for at least one or two nights of your stay.

There is NO perk in the theme park industry greater than the Unlimited Express Pass offered by a Universal Deluxe Resort. The power it wields over the ability to change a guest's experience at the parks is unmatched.

I just took my niece on an 8 day vacation to WDW and Uni last week. Crowds are tracking much higher at both resorts than they did even last year. Even with the higher than anticipated crowds, you can still knock out attraction after attraction at Universal using Express and have re-rides galore. Hour long waits disappear into a quick walk around and get on. Even the lines with slow moving Express access, like Mummy, never exceeded 15 minutes the 3 days we spent in the parks.

Universal is home to several of the worlds greatest attractions beyond the Potter experience and to visit the resort and neglect the chance to experience them would be a wasted opportunity. Spider-Man is still king of the roost when it comes to the modern "high-tech" dark ride experience when it comes to pulling everything together into a complete experience.

If you aren't planning on doing a significant amount of re-rides on the non-Potter attractions, I would still consider the Express perk as a way to hit up all the parks have to offer and allow you more time in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

The best way to take advantage of the Unlimited Express is to plan your stay for at least 1 night at a deluxe because you get the early access and Unlimited Express on both your check-in day and the check-out day. For your vacation, you could do 2 nights at Cabana and 2 nights at Royal Pacific and have complete coverage for your stay.

This past week, they switched back to having both Studios and IoA open for early access. Definitely, plan on using the early morning time with Diagon and getting on Gringotts as the ride is still very temperamental and still goes down a few times a day. Capacity on Gringotts is also nowhere near Forbidden Journey, so it will hold a longer slower moving line throughout the day.

*Bonus tip for your family - hit up Diagon as soon as early access is available and jump on Gringotts for a quick ride and then do Olivanders in Diagon. Two show rooms and few people doing it that early in Diagon (as everyone is in line for Gringotts) mean a better chance at your children being picked for the wand. I'm ashamed to admit my niece got picked twice last week using this strategy.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
:(
Even if you don't think you are interested in the Express Pass, I would strongly recommend reconsidering your plans for at least one or two nights of your stay.

There is NO perk in the theme park industry greater than the Unlimited Express Pass offered by a Universal Deluxe Resort. The power it wields over the ability to change a guest's experience at the parks is unmatched.

I just took my niece on an 8 day vacation to WDW and Uni last week. Crowds are tracking much higher at both resorts than they did even last year. Even with the higher than anticipated crowds, you can still knock out attraction after attraction at Universal using Express and have re-rides galore. Hour long waits disappear into a quick walk around and get on. Even the lines with slow moving Express access, like Mummy, never exceeded 15 minutes the 3 days we spent in the parks.

Universal is home to several of the worlds greatest attractions beyond the Potter experience and to visit the resort and neglect the chance to experience them would be a wasted opportunity. Spider-Man is still king of the roost when it comes to the modern "high-tech" dark ride experience when it comes to pulling everything together into a complete experience.

If you aren't planning on doing a significant amount of re-rides on the non-Potter attractions, I would still consider the Express perk as a way to hit up all the parks have to offer and allow you more time in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

The best way to take advantage of the Unlimited Express is to plan your stay for at least 1 night at a deluxe because you get the early access and Unlimited Express on both your check-in day and the check-out day. For your vacation, you could do 2 nights at Cabana and 2 nights at Royal Pacific and have complete coverage for your stay.

This past week, they switched back to having both Studios and IoA open for early access. Definitely, plan on using the early morning time with Diagon and getting on Gringotts as the ride is still very temperamental and still goes down a few times a day. Capacity on Gringotts is also nowhere near Forbidden Journey, so it will hold a longer slower moving line throughout the day.

*Bonus tip for your family - hit up Diagon as soon as early access is available and jump on Gringotts for a quick ride and then do Olivanders in Diagon. Two show rooms and few people doing it that early in Diagon (as everyone is in line for Gringotts) mean a better chance at your children being picked for the wand. I'm ashamed to admit my niece got picked twice last week using this strategy.
THNX it's not in the budget:( But we'll have the GAC which will give us a return time, I'm hoping with 4 days that should give us enough time to do almost everything.

Disneyhead'71

:(THNX it's not in the budget:( But we'll have the GAC which will give us a return time, I'm hoping with 4 days that should give us enough time to do almost everything.
A GAC is a good option. I get one anytime either of my parents go (they have to use a wheelchair in the parks, they are in their 80s). The way the GAC works is, if the line is short, you get right on. If the line is long, they give you a return time. It's very convenient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom