Going in April for Spring Break

We're planning a trip for April and it's me and 2 children, 12 and 4. I've researched, plotted and planned and about to buy tix, rooms and airfare. I'm also disabled, and pooh sized. Big question, will I regret this trip and should I call it off? Disneyland is a thought too, as you don't have to pre-plan everything 6 months ago. Have read so many horror stories of off season trips.

I'm afraid that my spring break trip will be hell. The kind where Satan makes you pay for $5 drinks, nasty pizza and has long lines to the brimstone pools.

This is our first, maybe last trip there, though I'm thinking of going again in less than a year. Please be honest and I'm open to recommendations. This trip is too expensive to mince words.

My 4 year old is psyched but the 12 year old could gaf except for Star Wars attractions. I want to see Disney and Universal, and they both want Legoland. Thanks.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
What part of April? The closer to Easter you get the more busier it will be and this year Easter is April First.

I'm going in April myself, and tbh, I'm expecting large crowds, how bad is going to be anybody's guess. I'm going the latter portion of the month however.

Another point I'd like to raise, is there is no longer any slow periods at disney, they're always busy, its just some weeks thye're much much busier then others.

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
What part of April? The closer to Easter you get the more busier it will be and this year Easter is April First.

I'm going in April myself, and tbh, I'm expecting large crowds, how bad is going to be anybody's guess. I'm going the latter portion of the month however.

Another point I'd like to raise, is there is no longer any slow periods at disney, they're always busy, its just some weeks thye're much much busier then others.
We're going right after April 1st! I expect crowds year round, like you said, but I'm wondering how bad it will be.

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
Not try to frightened you but expect wall to wall people. Go with a meticulous plan.
So far have read the unofficial guide, easy guide, dozens of blogs, watched videos and subscribed to touringplans. I also have Line, MDE, and I'm going to book our fastpasses. Would I be better off at Disneyland or universal? Thanks and I did ask for the truth hehe. Read too many horror stories and wanted the truth.

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

ArrIve to parks about 45 minutes prior to rope drop and get as much in as possible by 11:30. Take a break to swim, relax, and then head back to parks at night. We used our FPs then. Many with watch the fireworks at MK, so that’s a good time to ride rides. It will be very crowded so a good plan is needed. Table service meals makes the crowd easier to bear too, because they can give you a bit of break. Can’t speak personally of DL after Easter, but Uni in FL will be just as crowded as Disney and will have shorter operating hours.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

So far have read the unofficial guide, easy guide, dozens of blogs, watched videos and subscribed to touringplans. I also have Line, MDE, and I'm going to book our fastpasses. Would I be better off at Disneyland or universal? Thanks and I did ask for the truth hehe. Read too many horror stories and wanted the truth.
You are “going” to book Fastpasses?

Are you staying off-site? We booked FP for the 2nd half of April 2 1/2 weeks ago. Even off-property guests can already book from 4/3 on.

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
ArrIve to parks about 45 minutes prior to rope drop and get as much in as possible by 11:30. Take a break to swim, relax, and then head back to parks at night. We used our FPs then. Many with watch the fireworks at MK, so that’s a good time to ride rides. It will be very crowded so a good plan is needed. Table service meals makes the crowd easier to bear too, because they can give you a bit of break. Can’t speak personally of DL after Easter, but Uni in FL will be just as crowded as Disney and will have shorter operating hours.
That was definitely our plan. I heard leaving in the afternoon helps with heat, crowds and stress levels. Would park hoppers be worth it, or should we try to get a room in Disney Springs for the emh? Thanks so much!
You are “going” to book Fastpasses?

Are you staying off-site? We booked FP for the 2nd half of April 2 1/2 weeks ago. Even off-property guests can already book from 4/3 on.
We're going the 2nd so I didn't think we were able to until 3/2? We're staying off-site, but considering the Disney Springs area too.

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

Worth is subjective. I don’t park hop unless it’s a short trip, 4 days. Some love park hopping and couldn’t imagine a trip without it. Getting EMH is definitely worth it to me. You have a 12-2 am EMH the week you are there. I love staying that late. I like the early ones too. You can get so much done in the first 3ish hours of park opening. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
Worth is subjective. I don’t park hop unless it’s a short trip, 4 days. Some love park hopping and couldn’t imagine a trip without it. Getting EMH is definitely worth it to me. You have a 12-2 am EMH the week you are there. I love staying that late. I like the early ones too. You can get so much done in the first 3ish hours of park opening. Have fun!
To me I can't say it would be that fun to have park hoppers. Too frantic and traveling between the parks sucks. Can be over an hour and that's a waste of time and money. Definitely trying to find a hotel with emh. My plan revolves around early days and late nights. Sleeping in the afternoon. Thanks for being so helpful. How many days do you recommend for us?

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

To me I can't say it would be that fun to have park hoppers. Too frantic and traveling between the parks sucks. Can be over an hour and that's a waste of time and money. Definitely trying to find a hotel with emh. My plan revolves around early days and late nights. Sleeping in the afternoon. Thanks for being so helpful. How many days do you recommend for us?
As many as your budget allows. :happy: Seriously, if it’s your first time, 5-6 days. Spring Break is crowded, but we love going that time of year. Go to Grand Floridian see the Easter Egg display. They are also at Beach Club. Epcot has the flower and garden festival, so many pretty flowers and topiaries.

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
As many as your budget allows. :happy: Seriously, if it’s your first time, 5-6 days. Spring Break is crowded, but we love going that time of year. Go to Grand Floridian see the Easter Egg display. They are also at Beach Club. Epcot has the flower and garden festival, so many pretty flowers and topiaries.
I saw a picture online of Elsa's topiary! I'm going to get 6 days. We can see the MK on arrival day.

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

I'll also be there! I'm getting in late on the 1st, leaving the 7th and also staying offsite (something I normally don't do) at the Blue Tree with my mom and sister. My sister hasn't been to WDW since our senior trip (literally 10 years to the day). I have an Annual Pass and they have old non-expiration park hoppers with days left on them. It's been fun planning a trip for us. You're doing all the right things with coming here, listening to podcasts, reading blogs, and subscribing to Touring Plans.

I think Park Hopping is worth it in your case, especially if you said your days rely on early mornings and late nights. You can spend your morning at one park, go back to your hotel to rest/pool/lunch and then head to a different park that night. This allows you the flexibility to say "ya know what? this park is way too crowded, and Lines says that Epcot isn't busy. Let's head over there for the night". In the case of this particular week, MK is open till at least 12 AM every night which is at least two hours later than the remaining parks. You can expect MK to be slammed at that time with people coming in from the other closed parks. Although you can spend a full day at MK, DHS is easily something you can get through in half a day. You likely wouldn't feel a need to return for the attractions. Alternatively, you could go to Disney Springs, the Boardwalk, or Uni's City Walk none of which require park tickets but if you want to go back to the parks, this is where I think having the Park Hopper option is especially valuable.

My tips : give yourself extra time for the Flower & Garden Festival! It's truly sensory overload in the best way. Also, try to get a dining reservation at one of the Deluxe Hotels! My personal favorite Deluxe to hang out at is the Poly. You've got Trader Sams, 'Ohana, Kona, the Tiki Terrace, and Dole Whips. What more do you need?

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
I'll also be there! I'm getting in late on the 1st, leaving the 7th and also staying offsite (something I normally don't do) at the Blue Tree with my mom and sister. My sister hasn't been to WDW since our senior trip (literally 10 years to the day). I have an Annual Pass and they have old non-expiration park hoppers with days left on them. It's been fun planning a trip for us. You're doing all the right things with coming here, listening to podcasts, reading blogs, and subscribing to Touring Plans.

I think Park Hopping is worth it in your case, especially if you said your days rely on early mornings and late nights. You can spend your morning at one park, go back to your hotel to rest/pool/lunch and then head to a different park that night. This allows you the flexibility to say "ya know what? this park is way too crowded, and Lines says that Epcot isn't busy. Let's head over there for the night". In the case of this particular week, MK is open till at least 12 AM every night which is at least two hours later than the remaining parks. You can expect MK to be slammed at that time with people coming in from the other closed parks. Although you can spend a full day at MK, DHS is easily something you can get through in half a day. You likely wouldn't feel a need to return for the attractions. Alternatively, you could go to Disney Springs, the Boardwalk, or Uni's City Walk none of which require park tickets but if you want to go back to the parks, this is where I think having the Park Hopper option is especially valuable.

My tips : give yourself extra time for the Flower & Garden Festival! It's truly sensory overload in the best way. Also, try to get a dining reservation at one of the Deluxe Hotels! My personal favorite Deluxe to hang out at is the Poly. You've got Trader Sams, 'Ohana, Kona, the Tiki Terrace, and Dole Whips. What more do you need?
Ok, everyone mentions Dole Whip. Is it as good as it sounds, especially for someone who can find pineapple or mango ice cream easily in her neighborhood? Maybe we'll see each other! I managed to snag most of my sought after adrs except Tusker House. I'm going to keep an eye out on that one. Also can't get fp+ for fop or sdmt. Everything else was there and I'm so happy. I have rooms booked, adrs and fastpasses and tickets linked. Have also finished our online check in and customized our magicbands.

There's still rooms available, called orphans. That means it's a few days in the middle or end of a week. Got a very good, off season price on 2 nights. Also found out my stand by Disney Springs room was part of the emh, and switched to one that offered that promotion. Imagine if I hadn't realized? Thanks so much for your awesome advice, all of you. Knowing what to expect and not wearing my rose colored glasses, I think we'll be OK.
So that's going on? I totally missed that. My wife will be so happy to see that. I will too, but she really enjoys that show. Good news :D
Flowers extravaganza. My lo will be very excited over the topiary and flowers. He likes color and novel places. I also will be a small child again if I see the Lion King display!

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
Yep, I was kicking around the idea of splitting my stay at one point (I've done that before), but all in all, given how we formulated our itinerary splitting the stay wasn't going to work for us this time around.
The preference was one hotel with emh onsite or off, but it took me so long to plan and I waited too long for a deal on lodging that I missed a few deals and took what I could. Glad I found the 2 days at Disney for so cheap. I wanted the full experience onsite but rooms weren't available and or too expensive. Construction means rooms are cheap for Caribbean but I don't think it's worth it. Port Orleans come down under 300 which was wow. When are you going. Pricing a trip for August or January for DL Anaheim or Paris. Why is Paris so inexpensive??

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Construction means rooms are cheap for Caribbean but I don't think it's worth it
There's so much construction occurring at WDW, so much so, I think I'm going to defer any future trips until the dust settles.

The preference was one hotel with emh onsite or off, but it took me so long to plan and I waited too long for a deal
For me, I was looking to see if we could justify the expense of the club level room at the poly, but we could only do that if I split the stay with a lower cost resort for part of the week. I think my family would have been open to that, if we could stay at the poly at the beginning of the vacation, but the availability to work out that way, and we'd need to stay at another resort at the beginning and then finish up at the poly. We opted to stick with what we have, and I really don't have any regrets

Upvote 0

Neverland44

Original Poster
There's so much construction occurring at WDW, so much so, I think I'm going to defer any future trips until the dust settles.

For me, I was looking to see if we could justify the expense of the club level room at the poly, but we could only do that if I split the stay with a lower cost resort for part of the week. I think my family would have been open to that, if we could stay at the poly at the beginning of the vacation, but the availability to work out that way, and we'd need to stay at another resort at the beginning and then finish up at the poly. We opted to stick with what we have, and I really don't have any regrets
Were you able to take advantage of the room deal? The poly was my first choice with Ohana, the gorgeous designs and the atmosphere.

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

Ok, everyone mentions Dole Whip. Is it as good as it sounds, especially for someone who can find pineapple or mango ice cream easily in her neighborhood? Maybe we'll see each other! I managed to snag most of my sought after adrs except Tusker House. I'm going to keep an eye out on that one. Also can't get fp+ for fop or sdmt. Everything else was there and I'm so happy. I have rooms booked, adrs and fastpasses and tickets linked. Have also finished our online check in and customized our magicbands.

Dole whips are pretty great but definitely not for everyone. It's just one of those things that everyone should try once while visiting!

I hear Tusker's dinner is way better than their breakfast but I've actually never been myself. Have you tried using the Touring Plans Reservation Finder? I have to use it for nearly all of my trips

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom