Going from Moderate to Deluxe... The trip of my dreams! Help!

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
Well I booked my November trip at my beloved POFQ. Something in my head clicked and this trip is MY dream WDW vacation! I am going for 10 days (never stayed longer than a week) and it has always been a dream of mine to stay at a Deluxe resort. I work very hard for my money and I have no one else to ask to get on board with this decision but MYSELF! So I switched to WL!!!!!! Never stayed at a deluxe before, only dreamed of doing so during visits when resort hopping or for ADR's. I am so excited for this trip and I want it to be the most relaxing also, since I love coming back to the resort midday for a nice break before heading back out in the evening. I want to hear from all of you WL lovers! I want to know about the grounds, buses, boats, rooms, pool etc. Anything I should know. My TA has given me some fun info also.

Am I going to miss POFQ? It is like my home away from home but I just want one trip where I can go all out and stay somewhere once where I usually wouldn't because of the price. And I don't have to ask or answer to anyone else since I'll be on my own for the most part (I have a friend who will be staying at a different resort during that week).

Gaston's gal

Oh, you have made a great choice! I absolutely LOVE the Wilderness Lodge! My family enjoyed riding the boat to and from the resort to MK instead of having to ride a bus. The pool was really nice too. I'm sure now that the refurb will be done by the time you go on your trip, it will be even nicer. The Whispering Canyon Cafe is also one of our FAVORITE restaurants! The BBQ and fun atmosphere really make it. You won't be disappointed. Enjoy your trip!

StarWarsGirl

Wilderness Lodge is great. I don't think you'll have any regrets. It's nice and close to MK, the food is good, the pool is lots of fun, if you want to dine at one of the monorail resorts, you're just a boat launch away (try Kona at Poly for breakfast :) ) the resort is beautiful, just so very nice.

As you get closer, keep an eye on the deals. You might get free dining or a good resort discount closer to your trip. Just call Disney and rebook under the new rate.

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge is great. I don't think you'll have any regrets. It's nice and close to MK, the food is good, the pool is lots of fun, if you want to dine at one of the monorail resorts, you're just a boat launch away (try Kona at Poly for breakfast :) ) the resort is beautiful, just so very nice.

As you get closer, keep an eye on the deals. You might get free dining or a good resort discount closer to your trip. Just call Disney and rebook under the new rate.
Kona is one of my favorite breakfast spots! I plan on having 1 sit down breakfast there.

I'm doing QS dining so I'll be hoping for a room discount! My TA will be checking on that as soon as the come out.. Come on summer!!! Thank you!!!!

Tinkerbell397

The grounds at The WL are lovely and lend themselves very nicely to long walks, especially at dusk. But....beware of the bugs. The buses are a short walk out the door and to the left. They are as punctual as busses at any other resort. The boats are a lovely walk down a path to the left of the pool. One bus will take you to the MK and the other to the CR where you can hop on the monorail to any of the MK deluxe resorts. Be sure to do this and have breakfast at The Kona and I especially love the Grand Floridian Cafe. You can also enjoy the services of the GF Spa for a massage or whatever. The rooms at the WL are adequate and since the resort is small, you will never be far from the lobby. Not sure if you are traveling alone or with family so be sure to request a room location if that is important to you. When you request, prioritize your request. They do have bunk rooms which are a bit crowded and if you are alone or have no need for the bunks, they can be a bit of an eyesore. The pool have been totally redone and I believe that someone posted on this board with photos. It is fenced in with hot tubs from what I can gather.
You will enjoy your stay at the WL.....it is a hotel with a main lobby...all indoors as opposed to the moderates with doors to the outside and an outside walk to the "lobby". The boat can be very romantic and relaxing at the beginning and the end of the day. Much more relaxing than hopping a bus. And the access to the other MK resorts is a nice perk. Have a Magical Trip and let us know if there are any more questions. :cat:

Stryker

WL is terrific, stayed there several times and really enjoyed it. We really enjoy using the boats for transportation. In addition to the previous comments I would add you should plan on spending some time just sitting in the lobby in a rocking chair and taking in all the details in the lobby. Hoop De Do Revue is only a boat ride away and be sure to check out the Electrical Water Pageant from the beach at night. With a 10 day stay you will have time to explore and enjoy the resort as its own "attraction".

Skibum1970

I love Port Orleans Riverside but it doesn't compete with Wilderness Lodge (for me, at least). WL feels more separated from the resort but has a boat to the Magic Kingdom. You can take a separate boat to the Contemporary. Being on the lake, you get the Electrical Water Parade and can hear the sound of the boat horns over the water. The lodge feel is wonderful and relaxing. We can spend time just being at the Lodge and not having to go to a park. Truly, I feel like I am leaving my home at WL when it is time to leave. We love walking around at night and viewing the lodge all lit up. We also walk from WL to Fort Wilderness which is also enjoyable.

Plus, if the Christmas decorations are up, I think that you'll find the Lodge is beautiful with its decorations. My avatar is actually the bridge inside the lodge with its wreath.

If you're going to splurge, you have made a wise choice.

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! This has made me even more excited for my choice to splurge this year! Yes, I will be staying there alone but my friend will be staying at one of the DVC villas (maybe VWL) for half of my trip so I'll be meeting up with them in the parks some of the days. I booked a courtyard view and no bunk beds are needed. I am just looking forward to a whole different resort than I'm used to. I love the lobby at WL so I'm excited to relax and take it all in and use the pool. I see the pool now has a gate around it. Is this like the other gated pools on property where you scan your magic band to get in? HDDR is a must do each trip so knowing there is a boat directly to FW is great to know so that cuts out some travel time of taking a bus to MK then boat to FW like I'm used to.

Keep the info coming!!!! :D

EvilQueen-T

We've loved staying at both WL and POFQ. You've made a great choice and I think you'll find staying at a different resort can give a whole new feel to your trip. Make sure to give yourself some time to enjoy the resort itself, it's gorgeous.

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
We've loved staying at both WL and POFQ. You've made a great choice and I think you'll find staying at a different resort can give a whole new feel to your trip. Make sure to give yourself some time to enjoy the resort itself, it's gorgeous.
I definitely plan on enjoying the resort a lot more than usual since I will be there for 10 days. This trip will be more relaxed, rather than rushing to get everything done. I am also a morning person (wake up at 4am for work) so in Disney, 6am is sleeping in for me lol. I plan on exploring WL in the early morning! I have seen so many pictures and I am just floored with the beauty of this place!

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
ooo you will literally be staying there at the same time as us (just noticed your signature) we are 5th-12th! Wave if you pass us in the corridors lol!
Say hello if you see an italian girl walking around by herself! I love meeting new people in Disney!!

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
I have a feeling I'm going to be even more of a mess leaving this resort! I am always so sad the last night and morning we have to go back home. I am thinking staying at WL is not going to help with that one bit lol.

MermaidJuli

My favorite thing about WL is all of the little seating areas in the lobby and up on the different floors. Take a book and a cup of coffee and just curl up in a little hiding spot by a fireplace or looking out over the lobby. Also, I love the feel of the Territory Lounge. Great place to grab a drink and kick back a little bit. If you're an adventurous eater, the buffalo served at Artist Point is such a unique food to have in this part of the country. Being at WL really makes me feel like I'm out west.

Another cool thing there is that you can rent bikes and go explore the trails! I bet it would be gorgeous in the morning time.

Hope you have a wonderful stay!

Fizban

The lobby is gorgeous the dining is great (and I might even say affordable :) . Also look for the "bushalos" topiaries. Also you are staying really close to where they have the Hoop de doo Review (Highly suggested by my family).

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
The lobby is gorgeous the dining is great (and I might even say affordable :) . Also look for the "bushalos" topiaries. Also you are staying really close to where they have the Hoop de doo Review (Highly suggested by my family).
The Hoop Dee Doo is one of my favorite must dos each trip! I am quite thrilled that I will be able to take the boat right over instead of a bus to MK and then a boat to FW. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom