Going By Myself

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Well, I've decided to take the Disney trip in February by myself. My GF doesn't have any vacation time, so I'm on my own. Actually, 2 of my friends may be meeting me there and staying for the weekend, but I'll be there for at least 5 days all by my lonesome.

I have to say, the parks I'll have a blast at. But what about some of the restaurants? I LOVE the Sci Fi. How can you eat there by yourself? What to do, what to do.

Main Street USA

Toughie here. It really depends on you as a person.

I've heard many people on here say that by themselves is their favorite way to go. Then again, I was in the parks by myself for about 6 hours during my last trip down, and I couldn't have missed my wife and family more.

If you can have a good time alone, there really aren't any restaurants or anything else you can't or shouldn't do by yourself. Just have a great time like usual, and take lots of pics!

Upvote 0

raven

There are a gazillion threads like this one and everyone still afraid to go it alone.

ANYTHING you can do at WDW with other people, you can do by yourself. It's a blast! :wave:

Upvote 0

brkgnews

Yellow Shoes said:
Look at it as your big opportunity to hit on the Norwegian CMs!!

:lol:
Or the french ones... or the canadian ones... or the american ones... :lol:

But seriously, folks...

I went on an eight-night solo adventure there and had an absolute blast! I don't think I ever felt lonely at all. I stayed at Pop Century and was able to get a room with a King-szed bed -- plenty of room to sprawl out. The best thing about going by yourself is that you are on your own schedule. Nobody complains if you want to sleep late (although, who would want to sleep late? :) ) Nobody complains if you want to spend an hour inside "Walt Disney - One Man's Dream. Nobody complains if you want to ride Buzz Lightyear or the peoplemover/TTA five or six times. Plus, you can use the single-rider lines at Mission Space and Test Track, meaning you can ride two or three times in the time it would normally take to wait to ride once. You can eat when and where you want to (and yes, I did make a string of about nine or ten priority seatings for one. Everywhere from the EPCOT restaurants, Cindy's Royal Table for dinner, and the Fantasmic Dinner Package. Didn't have a bit of trouble getting space for one, and didn't get any weird looks from anybody that I was dining alone). If you've got park-hopping options, you can decide that you want to get up early to catch a couple of safaris over at Animal Kingdom on early entry days (animals are more active in the early morning), then scoot over to another park before catching fireworks at a third. I don't think I spent a full day at any park (although I did go during a low-attendance period). If I got hot, I could rest without getting any lip from anyone. If I got tired, naptime at the hotel! And, since you frequent these boards, you'll also be able to help out people you see who appear horribly confused. I've guided people to restrooms, park exits, dining locations, character meet-and-greets, and was even able to tell folks which rides were up and running and which were down for rehab. It's also nice to strike up conversations with folks about the history of the parks, atrtractions, and Walt's visions. Don't forget to offer to take photos for families you see there (make sure that dad gets in a couple of the photos of the vacation he paid for!) I might also add that if you're going solo, the trip costs less, so there's money to blow on souvenirs :) . That also means there's nobody there to gripe that "you'll never wear that shirt," "that costs too much," "you're not gonna buy that are you?" I ABSOLUTELY recommend that if you can go solo, DO IT! Don't get me wrong -- I still love taking trips there with family and friends, but I don't have any less fun when I'm there on my own.

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Don't think I'll be hitting on anyone. My fiance might not like that too much.

Thanks for all the tips.

Yeah, I think I'll have the time of my life at the parks. When I go with friends or family, I always feel pressured to spend more time in the Animal Kingdom than I would like.

I was there last October for 2 days by myself after my friends went home, and I had a blast. I spent one whole day at the Magic Kingdom from open to close. One of the best days of my life!

I guess I'm thinking more about nighttime meals. It might get kind of lonely eating at Planet Hollywood by myself.

I was thinking about it. Sci Fi won't be a big deal. It's so dark in there, who cares? I'll have the movie screen to watch. I always feel as though I don't get to watch that as much as I would like.

I'm satying at Pop Century as well. I stayed there for 1 night during my last trip, and have to say, it seems like it would be fun even by yourself. Great pools, great bar, great food court, nice rooms.

Plus, I'll get to stay at the Magic Kingdom after Wishes and watch mickey wave goodbye to everybody for about a half an hour without anyone nagging at me to get going.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I wish I had gone more while I was single. I got married at 34 so I had plenty of time. Grew up going to Disney, but after college I went twice with my parents. Wish I had gone more by myself, but really didnt catch the "Mouse Virus" until after I suggested we do our honeymoone at Disney. Since then its been Disney, Disney, Disney.......

Upvote 0

Chris

I have been solo several times when I was in FL for business and extended my trip. While I always have fun and enjoy everything, I often find myself missing my family. Certain attractions or places remind me of past family trips.

You can however get a lot done in a short time.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

You will have a blast! I'm going next week by myself...even though I have friends down there, it won't bother me if I have to go to the parks by myself. As far as eating in sit-down places, I'd say go for it! Once your food comes, you're free to eat as quickly or as slowly as you want. You won't have to wait for anybody to say, "hurry up". You will have fun!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

lukacseven

Yellow Shoes said:
Look at it as your big opportunity to hit on the Norwegian CMs!!

:lol:

I can't agree more! I think that is the best trip planning advice for people traveling alone anyone could possibly give. I actually went to Epcot with a group of guys during Spring Training and we did exactly that. We ended up meeting up with a group of the Norway CM's at Pleasure Island and had a great time.

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

If you feel weird about eating alone try Biergarten in EPCOT. Everyone is seated there "family style". It is always great being able to meet new people while experiencing a great meal.

Also, I'm sure that if you eat at the Sci-Fi or Primetime in MGM, the CM's would be happy to seat you with another party who is willing to share a table. Even if you eat at a table alone both of those restaurants are very bustling and busy so no one will take notice at all!! Hope you enjoy yourself!!

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

I would suggest maybe the Biergraten at Germany, since it is family style seating, and you might get to sit with a way fun family or group of people that you can interact with.

Also, La Cellier at Canada is quite dark and very nice, and there is enough lighting to bring a book and read while waiting on your dinner. My family and I had a great time there for lunch in August. We brought along our daily read of the USAToday and checked out the news while we waited for our lunch.

I would say maybe Boma's at AKL too, since you will be doing mostly eating and getting in line for more food. and the food is good. and the decor and atomsphere is great. the wait staff pretty much stays out of your way, except for the occasional drink refill and clearing of the plates, so you will be mostly left alone.

What about dinner and a show? maybe something at MK, like the Dimaond horseshoe jamobree ( is that still there?) Since there is entertainment, there is a lot less needing to talk to some one, and more eating and watching.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

oh! you can also do what I did the one day I was on my own on a family vacation a few years ago.

I ate on the run.

I was at MK, and decided that sitting down to eat would take too much time, so I got my favorite meal at MK, Casey's Hotdogs, and walked around the garden areas, watching the birds and ducks.

Or, you can do that right before the fireworks, get some food and have anotherkind of dinner and a show. ;)

ps- I am jealous, there are times on vacations when I would LOVE to be on my own for a day or two. enjoy it! and tell us how it went!

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

FanofDinsey1981 said:
What about dinner and a show? maybe something at MK, like the Dimaond horseshoe jamobree ( is that still there?) Since there is entertainment, there is a lot less needing to talk to some one, and more eating and watching.

No more Diamond Horseshoe... :mad: There's a meet-and-greet with Woody now...

When I was on my CP I did the parks all of the time by myself and I loved it!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

DisneyJill

You mentioned not wanting to eat at Planet Hollywood by yourself, but why not sit at the bar? (i'm pretty sure there's a bar in there, but it's been a while since i've been in there :lookaroun )

And I love the "What happens at Disney STAYS at Disney" :lol:
(kind of like..."What happens at Disney on the College Program STAYS at Disney on the College Program" :lookaroun )

Upvote 0

disneytati

Last time I went to WDW, I was with my aunt, and she didn't feel like doing anything! Well, I went to the parks by myself. I was scared of going by myself too, but I had a great surprise! I had such a blast at the parks! I could do whatever I wanted, and there was nobody to say I was nuts, fanatic or ridiculous! I rode Splash Mountain as many times as my fastpasses allowed me, watched Philharmagic 6 times, and came back to the MK every night to watch Wishes! I walked along main street looking at all the windows, reading all the names, taking pictures of them all... Videotaping everything I wanted... There are always things to do outside the parks too. Why don't you try to get in contact with some forum members that may be going on the same dates? Don't worry, and have fun!

Upvote 0

disneytati

brkgnews said:
What happens at Disney, stays at Disney.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank God my husband doesn't speak English at all!!! he has just passed behind me, looked at the screen, and asked: what are there yellow thigs laughing at? I said, well... hmm.... they are making fun a guy... american jokes, you wouldn't understand...

Upvote 0

barnum42

I'm antother solo traveller and love the freedom it affords a person. But I know what you mean about dining alone in waiter service restaurants. I tend not to eat solo in these restaurants, but make full use of all the counter places (at least in Animal Kingdom and Epcot).

However, from reading the boards I have seen that plenty of people eat at the service restaurants on their own and have a great time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom