Gluten free?

Alison1975

Original Poster
We are planning a trip in August..we have the DDP .. I am gluten free and am rather worried about the food offerings..or the ability for the restaurants to make sure my food stays gluten free ( as in not cooked with other items that contain gluten). Does anyone have any experience with GF at WDW?

Pioneer Hall

Disney handles issues like this all the time. You are going to want to make it clear that you have a gluten allergy when you make your reservations (they should ask). When you are checking in at the restaurant, they should mention this again (tell them if you don't hear it when you are at the podium). When you sit down, the server will probably tell you that the chef will be coming to the table to discuss your options for the meal.

Here are some articles from allears about this exact issue: http://allears.net/din/guestceliac.htm

jensdisney

We do not have to worry about Gluten free dining, but when we went in April we saw 3 or 4 families with this issue and it was awesome to see how Disney handled it. One family we were chatting with said that her two daughters had this allergy and that she was really concerned about going to Disney with this allergy. Once they got there she stated she was on vacation from having to worry about her kids and gluten!!!

The chefs came out at every restaurant and provided information as to what the girls could eat on a buffet, reassured her that they when they prepare Gluten free foods it is in a different station so the food does not even come close to being in contact with the rest of the food. She was absolutely amazed at how much care and concern the restaurants had for their issue and not one time during their stay did they have any issues. She actually felt like she was on a vacation since she didn't have to worry about it at all.

You will have to let them know when making your ADR's and when you check in, but the wait staff also asked as well. We didn't have any allergies and they still asked!

betaztest

My wife is both gluten and dairy (lactose) free. We have never been to a place that is more accomodating than Disney. Just let your waiter / waitress know right away and they will take care of you. At table-service restaurants the chef will actually come out of the kitchen and discuss each menu item with you and what they can do to accomodate your allergy. At buffets, the chef will take you on a tour of the entire buffet and point out what items do & do not meet your dietary requirements. They will even cook special items for you at buffet restaurants (my wife loves fish, but the only fish item at one of the buffets at Animal Kingdom was breaded so the chef did a special order grilled fish for her). They also have special gluten & dairy free brownies for dessert which are quite good.

If your experience is anything like ours (we've been 4 times) you will be well taken care of and have nothing to worry about.

Alison1975

Original Poster
Ok i am way more at ease now..I did NOT want to be the downer on this trip ( think really Grand Gathering of 22 of us for some meals!).. now I feel much better!!

buseegal

we hd a group of 11, had one boy with a peanut allegery/ had no problems all 8 days. Disney is very good about meals, even with a large group. just let them know with your ressie.

4everDory

You should be fine when you go to counter-service restaurants, too. Just tell someone at the counter that you're on a gluten-free diet, and someone will come out to speak to you about your choices.

RonAnnArbor

I have been carbohydrate-free since 1988 and have never had a single problem at Disney --

Every sit-down restaurant has carb-free and gluten-free choices; and they can create them for you very easily....

For example, most recently I had some difficulty deciding on the best choices at Yak and Yeti, and the server knew three or four options to suggest right off the bat without even consulting the kitchen: subsituting a low-carb Soy sauce for the brown sauce in the dish I had, and even suggesting multiple sides that were carb free that were mix and match from other menu entree items....I will definately be going back there!....

You will have zero problems with gluten-free dining at the World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom