Glow with the Show event tonight at MK

BwanaBob

I don't doubt that some were handed out last minute. We went by the hub at 830 and more then half of the roped off area was empty with multiple large bins of glowing hats still sitting there. My guess is that there was a bunch of no shows with wristbands. The weather wasn't the best with frequent misting and drizzle.

The park was pretty dead last night everything was walk on or <10mins by the time we got there at 600.
The number of hats given to non-wristbands were few at best.
The reason the roped-of area appeared 'half-full' was for several reasons: Planned on a certain amount of guests plus wiggle room, camera crews and set-up, and the direction of how they wanted the shots captured.
Weather did not affect like you think.

While it is extremely easy to armchair quarterback, the details can be quite a bit different.

Last edited:

BwanaBob

Looking forward to Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Studios This Friday.

It will showcase the hats very well!!!

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Instead of trying to scrape every last penny out of guests how about spending all that marketing money on actually improving the night shows that are in place. Perhaps bring back the cut fireworks from Wishes and IllumiNations, and give Fantasmic some updates. I'm sure people would appreciate that more than seeing some LEDs flash on peoples heads - it gets old very quickly. The night shows are all in desperate need of investment.

It is pretty obvious that so far sales of the hats are minimal. I walked the entire length of Main Street last night and saw less than 50. The contrast between the giveaway section in the hub and the rest of Main Street was stark.

I personally feel it is a cheap effort to simply take more money with very little effort on Disney's part - I actually would like to see it fail. I go to the parks to see Disney entertain me, not for me to have to spend money to fill in the shortcomings of the the show.

awoogala

I agree. They need to figure out some way to pass them out for the night and collect them back. Something similar to the way they pass out 3d glasses. Then for the small price of 20$ you have the option of keeping them at the end of the night. This way they get the large effect intended by the ears. I also think this would increase sales a bit. It's alot harder for a parent to say no after the product is already in the child's hands and they have a death grip refusing to let go. The hardest thing would be figuring out a cleaning method. Maybe using UV technology??

At the very least I think they could do this for the hard ticket parties. As a little extra incentive to purchase a ticket.
sounds like a recipe for the biggest head lice epidemic ever. :eek:

BwanaBob

Instead of trying to scrape every last penny out of guests how about spending all that marketing money on actually improving the night shows that are in place. Perhaps bring back the cut fireworks from Wishes and IllumiNations, and give Fantasmic some updates. I'm sure people would appreciate that more than seeing some LEDs flash on peoples heads - it gets old very quickly. The night shows are all in desperate need of investment.

It is pretty obvious that so far sales of the hats are minimal. I walked the entire length of Main Street last night and saw less than 50. The contrast between the giveaway section in the hub and the rest of Main Street was stark.

I personally feel it is a cheap effort to simply take more money with very little effort on Disney's part - I actually would like to see it fail. I go to the parks to see Disney entertain me, not for me to have to spend money to fill in the shortcomings of the the show.
Sales are not minimal, I can assure you. There was supposed to be a contrast last night... It was an internal video shoot to showcase the capabilities of the hats.

Firework shells come and go based on availability, attendance, events, etc. The show itself never changes, but some shells may go missing for a while.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sales are not minimal, I can assure you. There was supposed to be a contrast last night... It was an internal video shoot to showcase the capabilities of the hats.

Firework shells come and go based on availability, attendance, events, etc. The show itself never changes, but some shells may go missing for a while.
What I was pointing out was that if they were not doing the promo shoot, there would have been around 50 hats on Main Street, out of 10s of thousands of guests. That cannot be a good sign for sales, unless the profit margin is so big that any sale is a victory.

Wishes and Illuminations received permanent shell cuts a few years back, we had a big discussion about it here on the forum, and it was confirmed by the fireworks crews.

BwanaBob

What I was pointing out was that if they were not doing the promo shoot, there would have been around 50 hats on Main Street, out of 10s of thousands of guests. That cannot be a good sign for sales, unless the profit margin is so big that any sale is a victory.

Wishes and Illuminations received permanent shell cuts a few years back, we had a big discussion about it here on the forum, and it was confirmed by the fireworks crews.
All I'm saying is contrary to observations of a 'typical' night, the hats are doing extremely well.

Trying to explain the daily hindrances/changes to Wishes to the average joe is frustrating at best.
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify appropriately. I am aware of the changes you reference.

Last edited:

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Without pulling the curtain back (read between the lines there), all I'm saying is contrary to observations of a 'typical' night, the hats are doing extremely well.

Understood you have some inside info there. I'm just not seeing the hats on guests in the park - so unless they are buying them and not wearing them, I'm at a loss to see where the sales are. I'm watching the carts go up and down Main Street not moving any product. It's a mystery.

luv

I'd have been happy just to see it. I'd so like to see this thing in person, with a lot of heads in hats.

Really wish they'd drop the cost of those hats so people would buy them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'd have been happy just to see it. I'd so like to see this thing in person, with a lot of heads in hats.

Really wish they'd drop the cost of those hats so people would buy them.
I agree... they should be priced at a price point where a family of four would NOT flinch when purchasing four hats. They could easily make as much money off of quantity than to bilk a few.

deix15x8

I'm sure Disney's standard for success is not the same as ours. Were looking for quantity of hats in a crowd, their probably looking at statistics and profits.

At it's core it is still a Mickey ear hat. If this hat sells more than any other single mickey ear variant then it is a success. If it sells more than any other light item at the evening shows than it is a success. More importantly though, if it achieves either of the previous with only a minor to no change in the profits of the rest of the items in the category then it is a huge success.

From what I saw during the premiere at Fantasmic (not counting the free ones) it easily accomplished the first 2 tasks. Not sure how well the other items usually sell though in order to compare. I have never bought a pair of mickey ears and don't bother with the light junk they try to pitch, but I bought a pair of glow with the show ears so I'm part of the group that would make it a success even if it doesn't seem like it's selling a lot.

luv

Without pulling the curtain back (read between the lines there), all I'm saying is contrary to observations of a 'typical' night, the hats are doing extremely well.

Trying to explain the daily hindrances/changes to Wishes to the average joe is frustrating at best.
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify appropriately. I am aware of the changes you reference.
They may be selling well, but nobody is wearing them. Well, very, very few. Such a disappointment.

deix15x8

I hope they automatically turn all the ears off for the Main Street Electrical Parade and Celebrate the Magic. That would really ruin both of those experiences.

Watching the Wishes video it seems less useful than Fantasmic. At Fantasmic if your in the back you can see the entire crowd below you and it's within your view line of the show. If your at Wishes everyone is on the same level and your looking up so you will only see maybe the pair right in front of you at most. No person would ever get teh effect of seeing the whole crowd changing colors like the video tries to show. You need a tiered venue like Fantasmic for that.

I could see this being cool for IllumiNations though with all the ears creating a ring of color around the lake. That could be neat and everyone could actually see the effect.

NowInc

I hope they automatically turn all the ears off for the Main Street Electrical Parade and Celebrate the Magic. That would really ruin both of those experiences.

Watching the Wishes video it seems less useful than Fantasmic. At Fantasmic if your in the back you can see the entire crowd below you and it's within your view line of the show. If your at Wishes everyone is on the same level and your looking up so you will only see maybe the pair right in front of you at most. No person would ever get teh effect of seeing the whole crowd changing colors like the video tries to show. You need a tiered venue like Fantasmic for that.

I could see this being cool for IllumiNations though with all the ears creating a ring of color around the lake. That could be neat and everyone could actually see the effect.

I could be wrong, but aren't the hats enabled to interact with celebrate the magic?

...and no..they don't automatically turn off for anything. However, unless they are being given away, there is never enough people wearing them that its a distraction. Seriously.

deix15x8

I could be wrong, but aren't the hats enabled to interact with celebrate the magic?

...and no..they don't automatically turn off for anything. However, unless they are being given away, there is never enough people wearing them that its a distraction. Seriously.
If it is being used for Celebrate the Magic Disney hasn't done anything to promote it that I've seen.

The way the hats work when they are in range of the control system the hats sync up. As long as the controllers are in an area (such as Main Street USA for Wishes) they could easily take over all the hats and set them to off when ever they wanted. During Fantasmic! they did this at the start, everything went dark at once.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Yes they do work with CTM

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom