Give up your money saving secrets!

BizEmom

Go during a "Free Dining" promotion. The restaurants and snacks in Disney are such an important part of the experience and it is wonderful to be able to enjoy them for free.

DisneyJoe

That's why i said it takes a bit of extra time. It helps saves money regardless

It depends on what price you place on your time. While it may save you $14 out of pocket, you lose time that you could be spending enjoying the park.

Take the worst case - you purchase a 1-day ticket for $88 and the park is open for 11 hours, so your park cost per hour is $8.

You decide to park at DTD to save $14, but it costs you 2 hours of park time because of the travel time involved. You just lost $16 of ticket benefit to save $14 on parking.

If there are multiple people in your family, your cost lost will be higher.

toolsnspools

FTR, that is not accurate. Most airlines have their cheapest fares about 3 months prior to travel. Right now, SW is charging $169 each way from Providence to Orlando for July. I promise you, it will not be that high in May.

Just going on my experience. Perhaps it has something to do with flying with 5 people, but I always get the cheapest rates the first week or two that fares are available.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
2 notes on this one:

1 - buses from DTD to resorts may not start until close to 9am, the same time as the parks open. If you are trying to get into the parks as early as possible, this strategy won't help

2 - taking a bus to a resort and then a bus to the park (and then back again at night, could take anywhere from 60-90 minutes each way, eating up 2-3 hours of your day. Parking costs $14 per day. I'd personally rather pay the $14 than waste the time on transportation for "free".
Not worth it here. I wish they would start making guest show resort room keys/badges to stop this. Sorry to be on WDW side and not looking for ways to save, but when those lots fill up and people cant find a park who are legitimately going to DTD to shop/dine/etc, it is no fun.

There are plenty of other was to save $14 a day while on property.

That's why i said it takes an incredible amount bit of extra time. It helps saves money regardless
Fixed. :lol:

dreamfinder

Secrets? Plan. Not really a secret, but the key to all sorts of money saving at WDW. If you know say, what food options are available at the various restaurants, you can do one of two things. Save money by bringing your own food if you know that you won't like their choices. Or, you will be able to avoid eating a meal you don't really want and then having to buy a second, by going to the restaurant you want first. Silly things like that add up. Or knowing that you can buy your tickets in advance from reputable brokers and save a few bucks that way.

But overall, it really depends on your situation. If you have kids, then lots of people save money by buying Disney related gifts at the dollar store and the like beforehand, and then passing those out as souvenirs instead of buying stuff in parks.
No kids? Look at eating at off hours. If you eat breakfast in your room, and then do a late TS lunch, that meal will be cheaper than a dinner, and then you can just grab a snack later on. But all that comes down to planning.

NYwdwfan

I've started being vigilant about not paying ANYTHING more for things in my everyday life than I have to. I look for rebates, coupons, discount codes, etc. and every time I am able to find money in any way, it goes in the "vacation" account (which, less face it, is just another way of saying DISNEY fund!!) I took defensive driving and the insurance savings went to the "fund". One of my credit cards gives cash back in the form of a check when you reach $50 in rebates - that goes in the fund too. I also only book a vacation with a percentage off PIN code since we like to stay on the monorail. My goal is to pay fora trip completely with "found" money. Problem is - I like going every year which doesn't leave much time to save!!

Monsterfan99

Can never forget the classic free water from any quick service. Not only is it better for you than soda but saves a ton as well. Just be warned that MK's water has a funny taste so use some type of power packs (crystal light, Propel ect.) for flavor.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Can never forget the classic free water from any quick service. Not only is it better for you than soda but saves a ton as well. Just be warned that MK's water has a funny taste so use some type of power packs (crystal light, Propel ect.) for flavor.
You beat me to it. I was coming back to post this. Yes, nice suggestion.

WDW_Princess

My friend has a vacation fund account. Every paycheck he has a certain amount automatically moved to the vacation account and that is how they pay for their trips.
This is what I have done for the last 5 years. My bank statment even says "Disney Account" on it.
1. I plan by booking during Value or Regular season only.
2. Check online rates and call WDW. I have found it cheaper by calling than booking online.
3. Try to plan during a special, like free dining
I have made up excel spreadsheets for my wdw budget. I get made fun of, but I get to go a lot so there.:p

epcotWSC

Now this is something I never knew, good call.

CP_alum08

If you stay off site and want to save money on not paying for parking, try this out.
Now this takes a bit of extra time, so plan accordingly. Drive to DTD and park for free. Take a bus to any resort(one closer to the park of your choice may be better or one that is connected to the monorail line if youre going to Epcot or MK) then just hop on the free disney transportation! They dont card you to see if youre a on site guest or anything. The only set back is catching buses which can take some extra time but sometimes its more worth it than paying whatever theyre charging for parking :)

Good suggestion, but just note that this is highly frowned upon by some Disney purists. Because WDW transportation is 'for resort guests only' the fact that they don't check ID creates this little loop-hole.

beyondyou

Good suggestion, but just note that this is highly frowned upon by some Disney purists. Because WDW transportation is 'for resort guests only' the fact that they don't check ID creates this little loop-hole.

I always did this during my CP before i got my access pass and all. Just thought i'd try to share with anyone that didnt mind spending some extra time taking buses :)

Disneygal1

2 notes on this one:

1 - buses from DTD to resorts may not start until close to 9am, the same time as the parks open. If you are trying to get into the parks as early as possible, this strategy won't help

2 - taking a bus to a resort and then a bus to the park (and then back again at night, could take anywhere from 60-90 minutes each way, eating up 2-3 hours of your day. Parking costs $14 per day. I'd personally rather pay the $14 than waste the time on transportation for "free".

This is true, but if you stay at the resorts parking is free. That's if you drive. For me to drive down to Florida from Chicago it's only costing me $98, that beats flying.

Rinx

Befriend a CM and use their 40% discount on resort rooms. If you rent a car, buy food and lots of water at Wal-Mart, it's just off property on 535. Get some snacks and bring them into the park as well. Also, based on your preference, the Disney Dining Plan may be a big money saver for you.

rachels

Original Poster

Very nice! Good idea...It reminds of pool water:hurl:

Mikester71

My friend has a vacation fund account. Every paycheck he has a certain amount automatically moved to the vacation account and that is how they pay for their trips.

My wife's work started doing this a few years ago for all their employees. It originally started as a Christmas fund, but we soon made it our vacation account and had so much each pay deposited directly in there. We bumped up the amount going in a couple of times over the last few years to make sure we had enough to pay for the whole trip as well as give us our spending money for the whole 10 days we are down there. Nice not having to run up any credit cards! :sohappy:

graphite1326

Please clue me in on how to do this...I have not been able to figure this one out yet. My oldest is going on 20 and we still seem to be paying for her!!! :ROFLOL:

I told my boys, now 20 & 23, that the last trip in August was the last one I was paying for. If they want to go with us on the next trip, they have to pay their own way. They are saving for it now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom