Give it a rest. It will happen!

Mission: SPACE

The MGM name isn't going anywhere soon, MOST LIKELY... We just had a conversation about this at work today. Apparently, what is not realized is that the contract actually expires every year, and the two companies have 'renewed' it every year. This is at least what my coordinator told me. There was talk that they were preparing for the possibility of the name change, thus all the Disney Studios references we saw and also merchandise featuring this name, but at the time, MGM will be in that name for a while longer. How much longer? I don't know. But long enough to say it's not going to happen soon.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Pluto Parking said:
Prices will go up. The MGM name will go away.

What am I missing?

Prices at WDW go up less than comparative rates.

The MGM name in the Disney-MGM studios won't necessarily go anywhere.

Nice try to counteract the other thread, but bad execution.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Mission: SPACE said:
The MGM name isn't going anywhere soon, MOST LIKELY... We just had a conversation about this at work today. Apparently, what is not realized is that the contract actually expires every year, and the two companies have 'renewed' it every year. This is at least what my coordinator told me. There was talk that they were preparing for the possibility of the name change, thus all the Disney Studios references we saw and also merchandise featuring this name, but at the time, MGM will be in that name for a while longer. How much longer? I don't know. But long enough to say it's not going to happen soon.

As far as the original MGM/WDC contract shows, it was twenty years, and that expired at the end of June. Nothing has changed, so that probably means that it was extended. That extension could have been done 19 years ago or on June 29th. Disney's reporting policy doesn't require them to give out the specifics of contracts or renewals anymore. (Which is why it isn't well known that Disney gets all the Coke fountain drinks at Disney Resorts for free) In other words, that yearly thing isn't exactly true. MGM will be in the name until either:

1) Disney buys the rights to all the MGM movies in the park
2) Disney revamps the park to remove all the MGM movies
3) Sony decides that instead of using MGM they want Disney to use the Sony name.

The third is by far the most possible.

Cmdr_Crimson

Hmm...Disney-Sony Studios? Sounds interesting. One thing confuses me tho. Doesn't Time warner own most of the MGM Titles? Wizard of Oz, Singing in the rain, and also many of the older Cartoon titles Tom & Jerry, and the Tex Avery classics?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Cmdr_Crimson said:
Hmm...Disney-Sony Studios? Sounds interesting. One thing confuses me tho. Doesn't Time warner own most of the MGM Titles? Wizard of Oz, Singing in the rain, and also many of the older Cartoon titles Tom & Jerry, and the Tex Avery classics?

Sony owns the MGM catalog.

Brian_B

You forgot the notion that Epcot will always change, change, and change some more, and it WILL never revert to how things once were. This is not a bad thing, necessarily - but it could be.

Pluto Parking

Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
That is a true statement, but rather vague. As far as I know, you are talking about movie ticket prices.[/QUOTE

....Movie prices on a Disney World board? Well movie prices will go up too!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Pluto Parking said:
hakunamatata said:
That is a true statement, but rather vague. As far as I know, you are talking about movie ticket prices.[/QUOTE

....Movie prices on a Disney World board? Well movie prices will go up too!

There is a movie theatre at Downtown Disney........

wbboy29

Thrawn said:
Sony owns the MGM catalog.

Not entirely true. Some of the old MGM classics such as The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Cassablanca, etc were actually bought by Turner (Ted Turners old company). In the late 90's Turner was bought out by Time Warner and in turn Time Warner aquired CNN, TNT, TBS and of course the above said classic movies. Time Warner (now AOL-Time Warner) is, of course, the parent company of Warner Brothers Studios. So WB now owns, distributes, and sells some of the old classic MGM titles.

I used to work for Warner Brothers in the late 90's when all of this took place. It was a very big deal at the time. A lot of merchandise and collectibles featuring the the Oz gang, the Gone with the Wind cast, and even some Casablanca stuff was heavilly sold in the old Warner Brothers Studio Stores. Of course then AOL bought out Time Warner and all of the stores were then closed forever in late 2001/early 2002, but that is way off topic, :lol: .

Anyways, so yes technically Warner Brothers does now own some of the old MGM catalog.

tracyandalex

don't everyone jump all over this at once, but disney will build another park (theme TBA) and more resorts (themes & categories TBA). i also think that eventually they will build another disneyland somewhere. just my .02.

tracy

MINECAR

Account Suspended
I still don't understand the MGM thing. If the park was made with the name does that or does it not Cancel out any means of owning the rights if they had the rights when it opened. :hammer: WOW that made no sense :dazzle:

if they had the rights to use mgm in the name when they first named the park doesn't that mean owning it in present time not matter.

well I think I got the point across I think:lookaroun :eek:

Connor002

MINECAR said:
I still don't understand the MGM thing. If the park was made with the name does that or does it not Cancel out any means of owning the rights if they had the rights when it opened. :hammer: WOW that made no sense :dazzle:

if they had the rights to use mgm in the name when they first named the park doesn't that mean owning it in present time not matter.

well I think I got the point across I think:lookaroun :eek:

You should consider that when Disneu opened the studios, they were not the media powerhouse they are now. Having MGM movies and the name behind them helped a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom