Trip Report Girl's Weekend, Disney Style: A Tale of Two Sisters Getting Their Disney On!***COMPLETED***

Hello, new Disney friends and fellow Disney enthusiasts!

About me:
I am a fairly new member and have enjoyed getting my Disney fix by following many wonderful trip reports here when I am missing Disney…which is pretty much ALL THE TIME! Unfortunately for me, I don’t get to make it down as often as I would like, but I have made it down a few times, my first time was a weekend trip in 1991, a day trip to Disneyland in 1992, a full week trip in 1998, and then I took a loooooong hiatus and didn’t get back down there until 2016, which awakened my Disney passion and I got to go back in fall of 2017, and then most recently, beginning of June 2019. Though my husband enjoys DW, he doesn’t want to go as frequently as I do, so luckily for me, I have a sister who loves it, too, so I went with her on my last two trips. For my 2017 trip, I tagged along with her family and it was her first time there and she instantly fell in love with the place! So that brings us to 2019, when it was the dead of a miserably cold winter for both of us since we live in the north, and Florida was calling. We decided to do a sisters getaway weekend, and since I am a teacher, we had to wait until June. It was a long wait, but when the time came, we were more than ready. So let’s do this! This is my first time doing a trip report so I have no clue what I am doing so will be learning along the way, but since I have enjoyed so many trip reports on here, I thought I would give back and give it a try in hopes it can bring a smile to someone's face who needs a little Disney joy. I have lots to share with you and hope you enjoy tagging along with us down memory lane and I will tell you right now…when my sister and I get together and Disney and cameras become combined, it is Ham-It-Up City! You have been warned!

Who: Little Ol’ Me and my fellow Disney Addicted Sister.
That's me in the pink, and my sister in white.

What: Long weekend girl’s trip, Disney style!

When: June 7-June 11, 2019

How: Very bumpy plane ride, crazy weather from sunny and hot 102 heat index to monsoons of cold rain and thunderstorms with swimming through puddles, to very pleasant cloudy and overcast days, lots of buses and boat rides, a couple rope drops, and of course, lots of food, characters, shopping, and rides!

Where: Stayed at Pop Century, and over the course of the weekend, visited many resorts (Art of Animation, Fort Wilderness, Contemporary, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge), Disney Springs, and did two park days: Hollywood Studios and Epcot one day, and Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom on the other.

It was a lot to pack in for our 3 ½ days, but our Disney adrenaline was pumping and we tackled it all! It may have taken me all week to recover when I got home, but you know…YOLO!

So as Slinky Dog says, “Let’s go!”

Day 1: Friday, June 7, 2019
Travel: Yuck. I won’t bore you will all the gory details, but I had to get up at 4 in the morning, drive to our huge, international airport, navigate parking, stand in a very long security line, made it on the plane in the nick of time, suffered lots of air turbulence…the kind that makes you want to kiss the ground when you land…but I finally made it! Ahhhh…Orlando airport…I love seeing this! So exciting!

I only had to wait a little while for my sister’s flight to land and then we were off to the Magical Express!

Check In to Pop Century. This was my second stay here and let me just say, I LOVE the smell of the lobby there. So after some discussion with my sister on what that smell could possible be (like orange cream but more lemon-y maybe? We will never know), we looked around the lobby and headed to our room. We enjoyed the walk down memory lane…not to age ourselves, but we certainly remembered these:

Magical Occurrence #1:When I stayed at Pop a couple years ago, I was all the way at the back of the resort which added a lot of walking. I did request a closer room this time, but I don’t know if it was because of my request (I never heard anything back from them) or if it was just luck, but we were a lot closer this time, in the 50s building, just a few minutes walk from the lobby and transportation. Our feet certainly appreciated that after miles of walking all day. Also, when I stayed there a couple years ago, I was lucky enough to get one of the newly refurbished rooms so new they were nice, and now they are all done, so was happy my sister would enjoy them, too. Modern, clean, comfortable, and at a good price…what’s not to love! And we love the art above the beds! Fun!

We had a few hours until our dinner reservation so thought we would walk over the bridge walkway between the two resorts to check out Art of Animation in case we would ever want to stay there on a future stay. Now, it can get hot in the Midwest where we are both from and we can suffer extreme temperatures throughout the year, but this year, it has been rainy and cool for pretty much forever so we had not gotten a chance to acclimate to hot weather yet. So we were NOT prepared for the level of hot it happened to be at this particular time in the afternoon as we walked around. We pretty much thought we would burst into flame at any minute.

Just to survive and not look like one of those skeletons who didn’t make it in the desert, we had to dodge inside for some air conditioning here and there. We managed to not spontaneously combust and enjoyed seeing all the character statues around the resort, and made it back to Pop and thanked our lucky stars for the man who invented air conditioning…seriously, he should get his own holiday!

After recovering for a little while, it was time for our first big event of the trip: Hoopty Doo Review! This was both our first time checking out the dinner show and we were super excited! And hungry! Magical Occurance #2: The bus to Magic Kingdom was there and we didn’t have to wait! Yay! So off we went to the MK, got on the ferry to cross the lagoon, and there we were at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds with plenty of time to spare. So we looked around a bit, did a little shopping in the gift shop, my sister did some pin trading, and took some pictures. It was still hot, but overcast at this point so that helped and the sun wasn’t as high in the sky so we were happy about that.

JosieBee

Original Poster
EPCOT! 😀
You were lucky to snag Frozen, even though you had to hurry a bit to get there! Very glad you liked it, I do too!, it's hard for me to contain myself from singing and gesturing, hahaha!
This may sound strange to some, but I enjoy it when our last FP is used and we get to see everything freely and at our own pace.

More Magic Shots, and very cool ones at that! The one at Mexico from Coco is very funny! And the ones with the Aladdin lamp are... what can I say? Magical!

My 2 favorites pictures of that day are the one of you dancing with Donald (so sweet!), and the last one of you and your sister drenched!, I think that last picture of you looking so happy (and soaked!) shows not only your great spirits, but also what a great time you had all along! :joyfull:
I agree, it was kind of freeing to stop running around being on a timetable for FP and just wander around and enjoy the surroundings. We quickly became addicted to the Magic Shots, and it was super fun with my sister because she is not afraid of posing silly! I am hoping the next time I go with my husband, I can get him into it, too! And yes, whether hot, soaking wet, or extremely tired....none of it matters because you are still in Disney World!

JosieBee

Original Poster
Day 4: Monday, June 10, 2019: Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom

Today was our last day! Boooooooo! 😥 But our second park day….Yaaaaayyyy! 😁 As previously told, the day before we had gotten up early to rope drop at Hollywood Studios. Today was the same plan, but Animal Kingdom opened at 7am today, so that meant we had to get up EVEN EARLIER to rope drop (ugh!)…and all the fun of the last few days was starting to catch up to us, but once again, the alarm went off and we were just excited to get to be at Disney World so we managed to drag ourselves out of bed and made it to Animal Kingdom to rope drop for Flight of Passage. We made it there around 6:45ish and they started guiding people who were going on FoP towards the line for that. So we snaked our way through that line for about 20 minutes and then we were finally in the Pandora line queue area and it was about another 20 minutes or so until we were on the ride, so roughly, even though we rope dropped, we still waited for 45ish minutes. Now, this was not our first time on this ride. We went on it on our last trip (fall, 2017) and stood in that line for TWO HOURS!!!!! Not fun. So 45 minutes, 15 of which were before the park technically opened, was not that bad. By the time we got out of the line, the wait was up to 100 minutes and it was only around 7:30. So again, rope drop was worth it, especially since we were only going to be in the park for half of the day.

While we were in the line, I took some pictures of the jaw dropping Pandora, and the early morning sun mixed with the humidity made my photos look like paintings:

Pandora is one of my favorite places in all of Disney World. I could spend hours here just sitting and people watch and enjoying the ambiance while sipping a Night Blossom (which I didn’t even get on this trip, boo hoo hoo!). I think it is a modern wonder of the world and the Imagineers really made a working piece of art here.

Not only are the flora and fauna amazing that they created, but the details of the presence of the Nav’i, such as these native weavings and cave paintings, makes the whole experience even richer and nuanced.
Truly a masterpiece, in my humble opinion, which is another one of many reasons, why I find Disney World to be so special.

Flight of Passage is one of our favorite rides and was a great way to start our day! However, I was disappointed that we did not get to see the Avatar inside the lab. We got to see it last time, and if this was my first time, or the first time of someone else I was with, I would have been upset that they didn’t see it just because they were first in line? Does the line have to get super long before they open up that section? Doesn’t make sense to me as it is part of the storytelling part of the ride experience.

After our exhilarating Banshee ride, we walked around and took more photos because when you are in Pandora, you can’t help but take photos of everything you see.

This is basket weaving to the next level!

We were starting to get hungry so we grabbed a Pongu Lumpia from Pongu Pongu because that was one of the food items we were wanting to try. I was so hungry I forgot to take a photo of it so you will just have to trust me that it was delicious and hit the spot!

We had our first Fastpass coming up for Expedition Everest, so before leaving Pandora, we got our photo taken in front of the waterfall. Also, check out our matching ears today! We are Cinderella Castle Ears twinsies!

We knew we would be coming back later to Pandora to have lunch at Satuli Canteen and there was a special Magic Shot we knew we had to try to get, so we said goodbye for now, and headed over to Asia because the Yeti was calling us.

Coming up...Animal Kingdom Part B!​

JosieBee

Original Poster
Continued!
Monday, June 10, 2019: Animal Kingdom Part B

When we got to Exhibition Everest, the wait time was only 20 minutes. So my clever sister suggested we should do the 20 minute standby and then we could use our Fastpass right after and ride it twice! I thought it was genius so in the line we went.

About 20 minutes later we were trying to not get caught by the Yeti and thoroughly enjoying the ride. Then, less than 10 minutes later, we were on it again, having just as much fun as the first time. We love this ride! My sister thought it would be funny to do an anti-scream face to surprise me on the ride photo:

It worked...I was surprised! How she stopped screaming and laughing long enough to do this is beyond me. She has many talents!

After the ride, we had some time to just wander around and enjoy the park. We got to see Kevin!

It was so cute watching the kids interact with her!

We came upon a photographer in front of this little Simba display and just had to take part because of Hakuna Matata and all:

Of course, any opportunity to get a Magic Shot we had to jump at it!

Our next Fastpass was Dinosaur! My sister had never got to go on this ride, so just had to give it a try. We made it back before the asteroid hit, just in time to meet Chip and Dale around the corner, and to make it even better, they were in their dinosaur outfits!

We made a big deal out of meeting Chip and Dale and told them we had been watching them since we were little girls. Chip got so excited by this that he wanted to give my sister a present so went in the bushes and gave her a leaf. Dale then got sad because he didn’t have a bush to get me a leaf, but then he spotted one on the ground and picked it up and gave it to me and I excitedly told him I would cherish it forever and it was the best leaf I have ever gotten in my whole entire life and the photographer was even laughing at this point and took this photo of me with the leaf and look how cute Dale is behind me.

We loved our time with Chip and Dale! The people behind us probably thought we were nuts (pun intended)!

We didn’t even realize it when we got in line to see Chip and Dale, but Daisy was right around the bend waiting for us, too! She had designed her special outfit for the Dinosaur Bash and we complimented her on her flair for fashion and how she dolled up with dinosaur friend, too. My sister even spotted a hidden Mickey on the scarf!

It was starting to get SUPER hot again, but lucky for us, our next Fastpass was Kali River Rapids. We didn’t get soaked, but we certainly caught a few splashes here and there!

By this time, we wandered around and did some shopping, and took a few more photos and Magic Shots!

Rawrrrrr!

Just like Simba, our stomachs were growling so it was time to head back over to Pandora to get some lunch. Up next...Pandoran Cuisine at Satuli Canteen!​

JosieBee

Original Poster
Continued!
Monday, June 10, 2019: Animal Kingdom, Part C!

As we made our way back to Pandora we went though Africa and enjoyed the music and area for a bit.

We eventually made our way back to Satuli Canteen. I had heard so many good things about it so wanted to give it a try. I had one of the combination bowls with the steak, sweet potatoes, and garlic herb dressing. It was very tasty! I also had to try the blue cheesecake and it was very rich! I love the creativity of theming in every detail here, from the food to the native Nav’i décor.

Our time at Animal Kingdom was quickly coming to an end and park hopping over to Magic Kingdom in hopes of seeing the parade was next on the agenda (I will tell you how that plan worked for us soon). Before leaving, we had one last Magic Shot to get…the Banshee flying above us!

We just can’t get enough of those Magic Shots! One more park to go on our two day, four parks extravaganza! Next time…Magic Kingdom! Thanks for joining me!​

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Well, I just love your commentary style!! You two are adorable--love sister time at the parks! (I have 3 sisters, but only 2 have been on trips with me--maybe I should do a 4 sister trip!)

Loving your summary of the Artist Point character dinner- I've eaten at AP but before the change, and I'm glad to see the soup has stayed, as it was my favorite thing on the menu!

JosieBee

Original Poster
Well, I just love your commentary style!! You two are adorable--love sister time at the parks! (I have 3 sisters, but only 2 have been on trips with me--maybe I should do a 4 sister trip!)

Loving your summary of the Artist Point character dinner- I've eaten at AP but before the change, and I'm glad to see the soup has stayed, as it was my favorite thing on the menu!
Awww...thank you! I am glad you are enjoying it! We have another sister, too, who unfortunately hasn't been able to go with us yet, but we are holding out hope that someday all three of us can go together! I hope you all 4 of you can get to go someday! That would be amazing memory making for sure!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Is it possible the FP entrance for FoP is used during EMH? Because the FP line completely bypasses the floating avatar. (I’ve only ever done FoP with a FP and have never seen it.) However I have read that they don’t fully open the entire standby queue first thing in the morning, which may also be why you did not see the avatar.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Wow! :D I can't believe all that you were able to see and do at AK with just half a day! It's great to see how being prepared and having a plan can make all the difference!
Good job girls!

You are right about your pictures of Pandora, they really look like paintings. Beautiful!
Your sister had a great idea about how to ride EE twice! And really, how did she manage to keep her cool during the drop?! 😎😅
Your interactions with Chip, Dale and Daisy were adorable and fun, just like all your "encounters" have been!

I can only imagine how a 3 Sisters Trip would be like for you, but if this adventure is any indication, pretty sure it'll be epic! 🙌✨😊

Last edited:

JosieBee

Original Poster
Is it possible the FP entrance for FoP is used during EMH? Because the FP line completely bypasses the floating avatar. (I’ve only ever done FoP with a FP and have never seen it.) However I have read that they don’t fully open the entire standby queue first thing in the morning, which may also be why you did not see the avatar.
That is what I am guessing. I just wonder why they do it that way? I hope you get to see the avatar sometime! It is really phenomenal to see!

JosieBee

Original Poster
Wow! :D I can't believe all that you were able to see and do at AK with just half a day! It's great to see how being prepared and having a plan can make all the difference!
Good job girls!

You are right about your pictures of Pandora, they really look like paintings. Beautiful!
Your sister had a great idea about how to ride EE twice! And really, how did she manage to keep her cool during the drop?! 😎😅
Your interactions with Chip, Dale and Daisy were adorable and fun, just like all your "encounters" have been!

I can only imagine how a 3 Sisters Trip would be like for you, but if this adventure is any indication, pretty sure it'll be epic! 🙌✨😊
It would be epic for sure! However, I will say that our other sister is the youngest and she may have trouble keeping up with her crazy big sisters! We would have to ease her in gently somehow! LOL!

Rista1313

Wow you had jam packed days!

Hoop Dee Doo is one of our faves... we have that booked, and Storybook dining (for the 1st time) for our September trip.

I love all your magic shots... we have the photo package for the first time this next trip, and I'm wondering how much my hubby will put up with for pictures!

JosieBee

Original Poster
Wow you had jam packed days!

Hoop Dee Doo is one of our faves... we have that booked, and Storybook dining (for the 1st time) for our September trip.

I love all your magic shots... we have the photo package for the first time this next trip, and I'm wondering how much my hubby will put up with for pictures!
Glad you are going to get to to Hoop Dee Doo again! So fun! I am excited for you to get to do the Storybook dining! I was told they change the menu seasonally so maybe you will get the Fall menu! Good luck with your hubby and those magic shots! I could see my husband rolling his eyes at me and saying, "Geez, girl, how many magic shots do you need?" and I would be like, "ALL OF THEM!" LOL! Maybe prepare him by showing him some first? I will need a game plan with that the next time I go with my husband, too!

JosieBee

Original Poster
Day 4: Monday, June 10, 2019: Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom

Hi again, everyone! I had to take a break for a few days before continuing my trip report because the demands of the real world have been calling. My husband and I are both teachers currently on our summer break so have lots of projects going on to try to get done before school starts in Mid-August. Not so fun things, like painting a deck, weeding, and painting our spare room…but…I called dibs on the spare room and have plans to turn it into my craft room with a Disney theme and décor….I am excited about that! I am taking a break right now between paint coats, which is a lovely color of Cinderella Castle light greyish-blue! My husband may never see me again once the room is finished and I will be surrounded by all my precious Disney odds and ends! 🤣😁Anyway, enough about the real world, lets get away from reality for a bit and relive some Disney memories!

Our plan when we left Animal Kingdom was to give ourselves plenty of time to get over to Magic Kingdom in time to see the Festival of Fantasy Parade. My sister had not seen that parade before and really wanted to see the Maleficent dragon. At the time we got there it was still early afternoon, and though it was about as hot outside as Maleficent the dragon’s breath, at least we were enjoying a sunny day (unbeknownst to us, this would soon quickly change)! We LOVE Magic Kingdom and wanted to end our trip with the fireworks show, so saved it for our last park. Like many of us who love WDW, the castle makes us feel home again, and that was exactly how we felt walking down Main Street. We had to get the castle photo and of course, another Magic Shot!

I can always count on my sister to keep me grounded!

On our last trip, I introduced my sister to the joys of a Dole Whip Float and she has been dreaming about it ever since! So since it was so hot, that was our first stop, so over to Adventureland we went. As we were walking over there, we noticed some black clouds over yonder…uh oh! I forgot to mention that when we went through the security bag check, the guard had told us that it could rain soon. We were hoping, since it was so sunny, that he was highly mistaken or misinformed by some weatherman who didn’t know what they were talking about, but we were starting to accept the fact that was wishing thinking.

We were lucky enough to get a spot under an umbrella to enjoy our most refreshing Dole Whip treat. Just what we needed after a hot day! We were trying not to notice the black clouds getting closer.

Everything is better with a Dole Whip!

Then BOOM!!!!!! Thunder, lightning, torrential rain! We were so thankful for our little spot under the umbrella! So we hunkered down and waited for the rain to pass.

The rain got down to a light drizzle and there was still an hour until the parade so we were hopeful that since the rain was dying down, it would pass, and the parade will still go on at 3:00. So we went over to Liberty Square to hang out and figure out where to wait for the parade. Then slowly our light drizzle began to become a heavier drizzle which eventually decided to become full out rain again! Make up your mind, rain! We took cover and still hoped the rain would pass and we would get to see the parade, even if they delayed it for a later time, which we were told could happen. So we waited a bit more. Though she had her I'm-sick-of-this-rain sad face on, my sister wasn’t going to let the rain poncho take away her chance to rock those Cinderella Castle ears!

We stood under our shelter for awhile and after checking our weather apps several times, we came to the conclusion that the rain would not be stopping anytime soon so we needed to make a decision whether to stay hunkered down, or just deal with the rain and get wet, and do other things. We chose to get wet! We figured we didn’t pay all that money and travel all that way to hide from rain, so once again, we decided to become one with the weather. This ended up being the best choice because it rained for a few more hours, and the parade did end up being completely cancelled. Total bummer! No worries, though! It made its way onto our Next Time List!

Our first thought was to go on the People Mover but when we got over there, everyone else in the park decided to do that, too! HUGE line! So we rerouted our plans and decided to do the Carousel of Progress, because the wait area was covered from the rain and not too long, and once inside, we could relax for a bit and be out of the rain, so enjoyed our time in there.

When we came out, the rain was back down to a drizzle again, so we decided to get in the Small World line since it was covered and my sister had never gotten to go on this ride, either, and we couldn’t have that be the case any longer! The wait was about 30 minutes, probably because other people were also trying to get out of the rain just like we were.

After Small World, the drizzle had become much lighter, and we had just enough time to go catch the Muppets in Liberty Square. We remembered watching them when we were kids, so they were basically celebrities to us and we got a huge kick out of seeing them in person!

Miss Piggy always knows how to steal the show!

I don’t know if people were canceling rides due to the rain, but I was able to snag a FP to Splash Mountain! We were already wet, so why not?

While in the line (which was still around 25 minutes even with FP), the sun was starting to peek out! The good news is that even though we had to deal with the rain, the temperature really cooled down, and the whole rest of the afternoon and evening was pleasant and the skies eventually cleared for our beautiful evening to come!

I have to get back to painting so I will tell you more about that soon! Thanks for reading!​

jrogue

A bit late to the party, but following along! Sister trips are the best -- I took a short one with mine a few years ago. sorry to hear about all the rain, but at least you scored a lot of really nice Fastpasses!

JosieBee

Original Poster
Great TR!! Can't believe it is your first one!
Thank you! Glad you are enjoying it! I wish I could get to WDW more often so I could do more! I have a BIG birthday coming up in a couple years and would like to celebrate it with a big WDW trip, but the thought of having to wait 2 more years before I can get back down there is killing me! 😩😣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom