GF DVC construction pictures

I just took the walk from the Poly to the GF the other day and it's hard to imagine how it's going to look. I do feel that it might take away from how special the Wedding Pavilion is.

MaryJaneP

Goes along with my husband insisting you can walk from the Contemporary to the Wilderness lodge. :brick:

Well theoretically you can. Simply walk around Bay Lake the long way, if you're allowed to, and you will eventually wind up at WL,lol.

Long been a proponent of having a walk all the way around the SSL. Drawbridge by GF for Water Pageant floats would be great. I would even think they should complete a walk from Poly, thru TTC, under canal, to CR and on to MK. Include a spur to WL, why not? Oh, $, yeah that.

Can't see how they could add pedestrian walkway under canal because of disruption closure of canal would cause to watercraft. They need the boat traffic to move guests.

Still hoping, though.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well theoretically you can. Simply walk around Bay Lake the long way, if you're allowed to, and you will eventually wind up at WL,lol.

Long been a proponent of having a walk all the way around the SSL. Drawbridge by GF for Water Pageant floats would be great. I would even think they should complete a walk from Poly, thru TTC, under canal, to CR and on to MK. Include a spur to WL, why not? Oh, $, yeah that.

Can't see how they could add pedestrian walkway under canal because of disruption closure of canal would cause to watercraft. They need the boat traffic to move guests.

Still hoping, though.

The same way they build tunnels under navigable rivers without disrupting river traffic.

dizzney

Somehow I think there were too many issues with that walkway, and the height of the floats may be a major issue

As for the GF vialls disrupting the Wedding Pavillion, knowing the amount of $ Disney makes on the Disney Weddings, I do believe that they will make this look good in the long run and not have it detract from the Pavillion. Completion is a long way away

mickkey

Hi
Just back from WDW and spoke with a DVC guide and they said that GF DVC was only to have 127 rooms. Sounds like it will be very hard to get into.

Scuttle

Original Poster
Hi
Just back from WDW and spoke with a DVC guide and they said that GF DVC was only to have 127 rooms. Sounds like it will be very hard to get into.

Sounds like that DVC guide didn't know what he or she was talking about. No way a 6 or 7 story building will only have 127 rooms. I'm willing to bet it'll be more like 300-400.

Pioneer Hall

It is going to have 147 units. My guess is that most of these will be 2BR lockoffs that will be able to be broken into Studio and 1BR equivalents so you will theoretically have more than 147 rooms most of the time. It is possible that they won't put grand villas in here as is the case at Beach Club and I believe Grand Cali.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Probably not that much. The two resorts are being marketed to different groups I think. People who want to have their home resort at WDW aren't even going to consider Aulani. They are going to choose from the options available at WDW at the time.

When I was buying in to DVC, my guide was trying very hard to get me to make Aulani my home resort, despite the fact that I repeatedly told him I had no interest in the property. He kept telling me how beautiful it was, which, from what I've seen on TV, is absolutely true. But, like I told him, Hawaii was not a place I envisioned myself returning to year after year, and I'd rather have the flexibility of booking a WDW resort 11 months out.

Anyway, I wonder if they're trying to sell more Aulani points, and have directed their guides to "push" that particular resort more.

Pioneer Hall

When I was buying in to DVC, my guide was trying very hard to get me to make Aulani my home resort, despite the fact that I repeatedly told him I had no interest in the property. He kept telling me how beautiful it was, which, from what I've seen on TV, is absolutely true. But, like I told him, Hawaii was not a place I envisioned myself returning to year after year, and I'd rather have the flexibility of booking a WDW resort 11 months out.

Anyway, I wonder if they're trying to sell more Aulani points, and have directed their guides to "push" that particular resort more.

Well they will always try to push open inventory (although I am surprised they didn't try to really push you on BLT first). However, I think that most people in WDW are going to be looking for WDW resorts.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Well they will always try to push open inventory (although I am surprised they didn't try to really push you on BLT first). However, I think that most people in WDW are going to be looking for WDW resorts.

I was, too. I was actually quite interested in BLT, but my guide brushed that off, saying, "It's just about sold out. I'd have to see what we even had left."

And I agree that most people buying in to the DVC while at WDW are going to want a WDW resort as their home.

In the end, I ended up going with SSR, despite the fact that I never plan to actually stay there, barring a lack of availability everywhere else. The low cosst per point, and the low maintenance fees made it the best deal they had, and kind of a no-brainer.

Pioneer Hall

I was, too. I was actually quite interested in BLT, but my guide brushed that off, saying, "It's just about sold out. I'd have to see what we even had left."

And I agree that most people buying in to the DVC while at WDW are going to want a WDW resort as their home.

In the end, I ended up going with SSR, despite the fact that I never plan to actually stay there, barring a lack of availability everywhere else. The low cosst per point, and the low maintenance fees made it the best deal they had, and kind of a no-brainer.

I agree with you on that and wish I purchased at SSR now. The AKV dues jump this year really annoyed me.

Phonedave

I agree with you on that and wish I purchased at SSR now. The AKV dues jump this year really annoyed me.

I own at SSR and for a while I was a bit upset at owing at one of the less "pretty" resorts. SSR is a huge sprawling monster with admittedly minimal theming.

However, I have found that most of the time I am not booking at 11 months out. When I do book, I will say 80% of the time I am at a resort OTHER than SSR, and when I am "stuck" at SSR is not "all that bad".

The low cost of SSR is now looking better and better.

-dave

RickEff

Dave,

I agree 100%. We've stayed at SSR a couple of times, and although not overwhelmed by it, it was nice enough. Tyipcally we stay elsewhere.

We also own some points at Animal Kingdom but as others have said the annual rates are annoying. We're lucky that 75% of our points are at SSR and rarely have problems booking at other resorts.

Rick

Pioneer Hall

I own at SSR and for a while I was a bit upset at owing at one of the less "pretty" resorts. SSR is a huge sprawling monster with admittedly minimal theming.

However, I have found that most of the time I am not booking at 11 months out. When I do book, I will say 80% of the time I am at a resort OTHER than SSR, and when I am "stuck" at SSR is not "all that bad".

The low cost of SSR is now looking better and better.

-dave

I hear ya on that. In the near year and a half that I have owned I am yet to book anything before the 7 month mark. I've only stayed at AKV by choice and I have never had to stay there since it is my home. The same would apply if I owned at SSR, but unfortunately without having to jump over 100 hurdles I am where I am for the long haul.

captainkidd

Grand Floridian - Is construction an eye sore?

The work being done, if you've been over there lately, how much of an effect is the work being done to the DVC addition having on the grounds? Can you still walk back and forth from GH to the Poly? Lots of cranes and noise?

I love the GF for the ambiance, but wouldn't want to stay there if the peacefulness and quiet is gone.

JIMINYCR

Just a thought... How will the noise of construction interfere with and weddings planned at the Wedding Pavillion throughout the construction phase. How noisy was it at the Contemporary while Bay Lake Towers was going up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom