Getting a job with Disney when out of state

FL_ExPat

Original Poster
This has probably been beaten to death already, but I've read some varying info over the past year. Does Disney, specifically in Orlando/Kissimmee/Celebration, really not like to hire anyone living out of state? I'm originally from south of Orland and still have a lot of family down there, but left when I was young and have been out of state for probably 20 years. I've always wanted to work for Disney, and I've hit the point in my career that I'm ready to lget into project/product management with someone else...and I'd prefer it be Disney. I'd honestly love to get back to FL.

That said, there's a few job requisitions I've applied for that read like a copy of my resume, but got the dreaded denial email. Just thought I'd poll the good folks here and see what the current feel is. Are they still not keen on hiring folks residing outside of the Orlando area?

cm1988

I thought about becoming a cast member for many years then I decided to just relocate to Orlando and go in for general employment. That meant taking a 85% pay cut for my professional position to be an hourly cast member. I was 38 years old at the time. I figured that in a few years I would be promoted up to something close to where I was. It took more like seven years. I enjoyed the 16 years total that I had with Disney and looking back at them I would say it was worth it. I would do it again. But!… I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else unless it’s a true obsession with you.

A more likely way to get into a good salaried position is to come to Orlando and get in as a consultant. Disney hires a great variety of consultants. When you’re in those roles they see how good you are. I would say maybe 40% of the time a strong candidate will be offered a full-time position with Disney.

Don’t be put off by the 40% figure either because if your contract ends and you’ve done well your chances of being brought in for another contract are like 95%. Then you’ve got another 40% chance. You can do that a few times and all during that time you’ll be making good pay. In fact, when it’s time to consider an offer for full-time employment, that offer will be better because Disney has paid a lot for your services as a consultant.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Just thought I'd poll the good folks here and see what the current feel is. Are they still not keen on hiring folks residing outside of the Orlando area?
They're desperately short staffed, so if you're a match, you more than likely have a chance to at least get interviewed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom