Genie+, ILL, and Rope Drop Strategies

CaptainAmerica

What other options are there?
Drive to the Contemporary, walk to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop, and move your car later in the morning once you've maximized the Early Entry time.

(Or don't move your car at all and just leave it at the Contemporary all day. I won't tell.)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Drive to the Contemporary, walk to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop, and move your car later in the morning once you've maximized the Early Entry time.

(Or don't move your car at all and just leave it at the Contemporary all day. I won't tell.)
You can't park at the Contemporary without a hotel or dining reservation though.

nickys

Premium Member
I think you misunderstood. We usually drive to the Contemporary for a 7am reservation, eat, then drive to the TTC.
Ah, now I see why you’re concerned about getting to MK on time.

I would consider getting an Uber to the Contemporary, have breakfast and make sure to be leaving to walk / monorail to MK by 8am.

You won’t be at MK to be at the front of the early entry crowd who wait beyond the Hub, but if you can get through to the scanning points you could still either do PP or do a couple of other rides in FL and “rope drop” towards HM for the other Lands if that’s where you’d rather be.

At the end of the day, get an Uber back from the Contemporary.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I think for that first full park day we're going to have to skip our tradition and take a Disney bus (🤬🤬🤬) from the resort to the park to get there by early entry and then do Chef Mickey's on another day before a different park. A park that I can park close to the entrance. Maybe Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. I have a walking disability so I will be parking in the handicap spots. I'm doing a lot of at-home physical therapy because I absolutely refuse to ride around on an ECV. But I would like to at least park in the handicap section.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Given that I would like to get to Magic Kingdom at 7:30 a.m. what time do the buses leave resorts to start transporting people in the mornings?

Weather_Lady

Given that I would like to get to Magic Kingdom at 7:30 a.m. what time do the buses leave resorts to start transporting people in the mornings?
As of our visit in August, buses began arriving at the onsite resorts, bound for the parks, no later than an hour and 20 minutes prior to the official park opening. (e.g., if the MK opened at 9am, MK-bound buses were arriving at the hotels by 7:30-7:40, and sometimes earlier, meaning the earliest anyone was getting dropped off at MK by Disney bus was just before 8am.) YMMV, and it's possible that the schedule has shifted even earlier to accommodate early entry, which hadn't started yet when we were there. Perhaps someone who's been there since early entry started can weigh in...

CaptainAmerica

Why because you are not supposed to leave your car at the contemporary.
That rule is in place to prevent people from "stealing" free Magic Kingdom parking. OP is a Walt Disney World resort guest and is therefore not "stealing" anything. He has a dining reservation at the Contemporary and therefore parking there is entirely legitimate. I have NEVER seen the three hour time limit posted anywhere conspicuous, nor have I ever heard it mentioned by a security guard when arriving at a resort for a reservation. Disney does not expect their guests to go hunting through the fine print of every policy and procedure, or to participate in message boards like this asking every hypothetical "what if" scenario.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I've EVER seen the three hour time limit published anywhere official and authoritative. (No, the Disney Parks Mom Panel is not "official and authoritative.")

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Original Poster
That rule is in place to prevent people from "stealing" free Magic Kingdom parking. OP is a Walt Disney World resort guest and is therefore not "stealing" anything. He has a dining reservation at the Contemporary and therefore parking there is entirely legitimate. I have NEVER seen the three hour time limit posted anywhere conspicuous, nor have I ever heard it mentioned by a security guard when arriving at a resort for a reservation. Disney does not expect their guests to go hunting through the fine print of every policy and procedure, or to participate in message boards like this asking every hypothetical "what if" scenario.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I've EVER seen the three hour time limit published anywhere official and authoritative. (No, the Disney Parks Mom Panel is not "official and authoritative.")

I've actually seen it posted at the guard shack at the entrance to the Contemporary on our last trip. (several years ago)

EngineerMom

Yes some people would park at the Contemporary or Boardwalk or Beach Club to avoid paying for parking but they also do it for convenience. Would I like to drive to Contemporary and walk every time I go to MK, you bet. And I stay onsite and would not be saving any money just time........but if everyone did that then hotel guests and guests who have dining reservations would show up and not be able to find parking.
As Disney gets rid of the Magic Express it is going to get worse and they'll need to monitor the 3 hour limit more.

As of now you can't drive to a resort and park without a reservation. This stinks as we love to go to other resorts to get a drink and walk around. We didn't used to have an issue but I have heard you cannot do that now. (And the resorts I would want to drive to are the ones I cannot walk to from the parks like Animal Kingdom or Wilderness.

CaptainAmerica

Yes some people would park at the Contemporary or Boardwalk or Beach Club to avoid paying for parking but they also do it for convenience. Would I like to drive to Contemporary and walk every time I go to MK, you bet. And I stay onsite and would not be saving any money just time........but if everyone did that then hotel guests and guests who have dining reservations would show up and not be able to find parking.
Except he's NOT parking at the Contemporary "for convenience" to the Magic Kingdom, he's parking the Contemporary because he has a dining reservation at Chef Mickey's.

As Disney gets rid of the Magic Express it is going to get worse and they'll need to monitor the 3 hour limit more.
Show me where the 3 hour limit is published.

As of now you can't drive to a resort and park without a reservation.
Good thing he has one.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
This point is moot. I do not plan on leaving the car there. I am not taking the chance that our rental car will be towed and it is not my thing to break rules like that. Besides (call me Goody-Two Shoes if you want) I do not break these rules because how is that going to look to my kids? "Hey kids, you can do whatever you want because it is a victimless crime, or victimless rule violation." I didn't raise my kids to be entitled. But I digress since that is moving the conversation into a whole other topic. We are going to re-arrange things to go to Chef Mickey's on our 2nd MK day now and not worry about rope drop that 2nd MK day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As of now you can't drive to a resort and park without a reservation. This stinks as we love to go to other resorts to get a drink and walk around. We didn't used to have an issue but I have heard you cannot do that now. (And the resorts I would want to drive to are the ones I cannot walk to from the parks like Animal Kingdom or Wilderness.
Not totally true, as we were just there a few weeks ago. We went to the GF to experience the Enchanted Rose, we just asked the guard, and he simply asked us to limit it to 2 hours. Yes, they had the sign out that only resort guests could park, but they do make some exceptions. We didn't abuse it, and we were gone in about 1 1/2 hours. The parking lot was still only 1/3 utilized.

EngineerMom

Except he's NOT parking at the Contemporary "for convenience" to the Magic Kingdom, he's parking the Contemporary because he has a dining reservation at Chef Mickey's.

Show me where the 3 hour limit is published.

Good thing he has one.
This is where I could find it.

I am not an expert but have heard folks talking about not being able to enter the parking area for a resort unless they have a dining reservation.

EngineerMom

Not totally true, as we were just there a few weeks ago. We went to the GF to experience the Enchanted Rose, we just asked the guard, and he simply asked us to limit it to 2 hours. Yes, they had the sign out that only resort guests could park, but they do make some exceptions. We didn't abuse it, and we were gone in about 1 1/2 hours. The parking lot was still only 1/3 utilized.
Great to know. I had just seen posts of folks complaining guards were not letting them in.
We are hoping to drive to Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge the next trip to walk around, shop, get a drink. I have bought some nice things at their shops I haven't seen at other places. And during the holidays we love how they are decorated. We are trying to get a Sanna reservation but have not had any luck so far but hope we can still go over.

We are like GoofyDad
We don't try and break the rules. As I said we hate at the end of the day when we are tired and waiting for the bus to our hotel or the monorail back to parking. We have stayed at Bay Lake Towers and it is not our favorite resort but we loved walking to and from Magic Kingdom but I'm not going to try to sneak into their parking.
We stayed at Boardwalk last trip and the parking lot was fuller than other trips. And that was before they opened the hotel side. (only DVC open)

CaptainAmerica

This is where I could find it.

I am not an expert but have heard folks talking about not being able to enter the parking area for a resort unless they have a dining reservation.
That's not really the question though. I agree, you're not supposed to park at a resort without a dining reservation. The question is, if you arrive at a resort and you DO have a dining reservation, how long is appropriate/allowed to leave your car? People say "three hours" a lot, but I've never seen it published anywhere official.

dovetail65

That's not really the question though. I agree, you're not supposed to park at a resort without a dining reservation. The question is, if you arrive at a resort and you DO have a dining reservation, how long is appropriate/allowed to leave your car? People say "three hours" a lot, but I've never seen it published anywhere official.
If it's not published how could it be? If they do publish a duration it should not be a definitive be a time, it should have to be worded like "1 hour after event ends". I have been at 6 hour events and I have been at character meals that took 4 hours becasue of their delays.

To me if you drop 500 bucks or more at a meal you can go get on a boat or monorail and head to the park from that resort. I never heard of nor had it happen to me where car was towed for doing just that. It's one large resort so if a person goes to character meal or any meal or paid event, pays that huge sum in my mind it is NOT wrong to then go to a park from the resort and leave the car at the resort, it's just not, it's all the same place. Parking at a resort to skip the Park lot is probably wrong(that's up for debate I guess) but many times that takes just as long anyhow.

That 3 hours rule was always for visitors that just wanted to walk the hotels and even in 2019 they allowed it with no issue at all. We would go look at hotels all the time and never even go to a park. We would do hotel days and hit 4 or 5 resorts. After Covid that "hotel looking" should be allowed again. Heck, who spends 1100.00 a night without getting to see the hotel!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom