Genie+, ILL, and Rope Drop Strategies

G00fyDad

Original Poster
So my wife has informed me that we are now going to keep our on-site reservations and rope drop every day. With the old system (FP+) I new exactly how to do things and it worked out perfect. With the new system I have no clue what I am going to do or how to maximize the park time in each park. Yes, I know there is a plethora of information out there but a lot of it seems subjective from an early point in the re-introduction of rope drop procedures and it is all over the place. I thought I would ask for those that have been or who actually know for sure how things are working to help me out a little. What is the best strategy for each park assuming that we will have Genie+ and will purchase at least one of the two ILL's at each park? Yes, I have seen this thread (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-rumor-tracker-version-3.970353/#post-9448696) and it is SUPER helpful but it is still just a 'facts" sheet. I want to know how this works in the real world. :)

MK:
Entry to the TTC with rental car:
Entry to the park?:
Rope Drop time?:
Can I RD at Adventureland instead of Tomorrowland?
What time should I start trying to get Genie+? I would always schedule my FP+ out for later in the day/evening. I know I cannot "schedule" them but should I wait a little bit before trying in hopes of getting a later return time?
Can I schedule a ILL for SDMT? What time?

HS:
Entry to the parking lot with rental car:
Entry to the park?:
Rope Drop time?:
Can I RD at GE?
What time should I start trying to get Genie+?
Can I schedule a ILL for Remy? What time?

AK:
Entry to the park?:
Rope Drop time?:
I have heard that RD happens different in this park. Can I not RD at Avatarland?
Can I schedule a ILL for RotR? What time?

EP:
Entry to the park?:
Rope Drop time?:
How does RD in this park even work?
Can I schedule a ILL for FoP? What time?

Weather_Lady

Just a thought: if you're staying onsite, why bother with worrying about when you can get into lots with a rental car, or taking the extra step of having to pass through the TTC to get to MK, if you want to be at the parks for rope drop? The Disney onsite transportation options will almost always get you there earlier, if you're comfortable with them.

Also, you didn't say whether you're eligible for early entry or not (e.g., staying at a Disney deluxe). If that's the case, you can save yourself some of those ILL purchases by getting a couple of headliners out of the way during that extra half hour (e.g., at AK, arrive well before early entry rope drop, head straight to Avatarland for FoP as soon as the tapstiles open, and you'll be done with it in no time).

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Just a thought: if you're staying onsite, why bother with worrying about when you can get into lots with a rental car, or taking the extra step of having to pass through the TTC to get to MK for rope drop? The Disney onsite transportation options will almost always get you there earlier.

It is a well known and documented fact here that I would rather chew my own leg off sitting in a bathtub full of rubbing alcohol rather than ride on a Disney bus. :hilarious::hilarious: We rent a car every time. I know Disney busses get you to the front of the park 15 minutes earlier (or something like that) but that is nowhere near an incentive to get on one of those things.

JAB

MK:
If you're taking advantage of the Early Park Entry, you can't rope drop Adventureland (this used to be our go-to strategy as well) because only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open before official park open.

HS:
Yes; you can rope drop GE

AK:
Yes; you can rope drop Pandora

Rope Drop Time:
From what I've read, it sounds like they've been letting guests in about an hour before official park open, and then holding people at various spots until 30 min before official park open (when Early Park Entry begins). For MK it appears that they let everyone in up to the hub, then let on-property guests line up on the bridges to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland where they are held until Early Park Entry officially starts (currently 8:30 am for MK).

ILL:
Given that you will be staying on property, you can book both your ILLs at 7am, regardless of what your reserved park is. If it's for a ride that's at a park other than your reserved park, you can still book them at 7am; it will simply offer you LL windows that start later than 2pm (since that's when park hopping starts).

Here's Disney's official list of what's open during Early Park Entry:

Weather_Lady

It is a well known and documented fact here that I would rather chew my own leg off sitting in a bathtub full of rubbing alcohol rather than ride on a Disney bus. :hilarious::hilarious: We rent a car every time. I know Disney busses get you to the front of the park 15 minutes earlier (or something like that) but that is nowhere near an incentive to get on one of those things.
[checking the filing cabinet where I keep my exhaustive notes on each WDWMagic member] Sorry, I forgot. ;)

Seriously though, use the form of transportation you like best. I think the last I heard, the lots open 60 minutes before each park does.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
ILL:
Given that you will be staying on property, you can book both your ILLs at 7am, regardless of what your reserved park is. If it's for a ride that's at a park other than your reserved park, you can still book them at 7am; it will simply offer you LL windows that start later than 2pm (since that's when park hopping starts).
Thank you for the info. As for ILL, what I meant was that I was not sure if it would be advantageous to book the return time for later in the day or try to get it done early. :)

G00fyDad

Original Poster
[checking the filing cabinet where I keep my exhaustive notes on each WDWMagic member] Sorry, I forgot. ;)

Seriously though, use the form of transportation you like best. I think the last I heard, the lots open 60 minutes before each park does.
:) :) Thank you. I seem to remember from our last trip (several years ago) that they refused to let us in the parking lot until everyone was allowed in, including the off-site guests. and that was around 30 minutes before park opening.

JAB

Thank you for the info. As for ILL, what I meant was that I was not sure if it would be advantageous to book the return time for later in the day or try to get it done early. :)
Ah. Sorry. 🤦‍♂️

For ILL, it doesn't really matter. You can only book 2 per day, and they have no bearing on when you can book G+ LL reservations. The only advantage I can think of to booking earlier rather than later is if the ride goes down, an earlier LL time gives you a better chance that the ride will come back up before you have to leave the park. Other than that, I'd say do whatever best fits your schedule. My personal preference would be to not book it so early that it would use up valuable rope drop time.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Ah. Sorry. 🤦‍♂️

For ILL, it doesn't really matter. You can only book 2 per day, and they have no bearing on when you can book G+ LL reservations. The only advantage I can think of to booking earlier rather than later is if the ride goes down, an earlier LL time gives you a better chance that the ride will come back up before you have to leave the park. Other than that, I'd say do whatever best fits your schedule. My personal preference would be to not book it so early that it would use up valuable rope drop time.

Valid point there. I had not thought of that. Thank you. I think that will be what I do.

nickys

Premium Member
The best advice I have is that if you want to make best use of the early entry, then you need to be ready to enter the park at least 60 minutes and preferably 75-90 minutes before official park opening.

If they let people in 60 minutes before park opening, that means you want to be there, lined up already. Not just arriving at the parking lots. Hence the 75-90 minutes recommendation. Otherwise you’ll be trying to get into the park at the same time as non resort guests and having to get through the crowds to the scanning points to be allowed further into the park for early entry.

That doesn’t always work with driving to the parks, especially for MK.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
The best advice I have is that if you want to make best use of the early entry, then you need to be ready to enter the park at least 60 minutes and preferably 75-90 minutes before official park opening.

If they let people in 60 minutes before park opening, that means you want to be there, lined up already. Not just arriving at the parking lots. Hence the 75-90 minutes recommendation. Otherwise you’ll be trying to get into the park at the same time as non resort guests and having to get through the crowds to the scanning points to be allowed further into the park for early entry.

That doesn’t always work with driving to the parks, especially for MK.
That is one thing that has me concerned. We have a tradition of going to Chef Mickey's on our first full park day and then to MK at park open. But we get to the TTC and if I am not mistaken the ferry will not run until just before park open. I am worried about getting from the TTC to the tapstiles at the front of the park before that extra 30 minutes starts.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Where are you staying and how long is your trip?
All Stars Movies 6 days and 5 nights. We normally do 9 or 10 days but we figured that we'd do less days at the parks this time and spend the rest of those days at Clearwater Beach in a beach rental home.

CaptainAmerica

That is one thing that has me concerned. We have a tradition of going to Chef Mickey's on our first full park day and then to MK at park open. But we get to the TTC and if I am not mistaken the ferry will not run until just before park open. I am worried about getting from the TTC to the tapstiles at the front of the park before that extra 30 minutes starts.
Another reason not to drive.

(I share your opinion about driving to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. We ALWAYS rent a car and ALWAYS drive to those destinations, but you're adding an absolutely enormous amount of commute time by funneling your MK itinerary through the TTC.)

All Stars Movies 6 days and 5 nights. We normally do 9 or 10 days but we figured that we'd do less days at the parks this time and spend the rest of those days at Clearwater Beach in a beach rental home.
Does your budget have room to get yourself to POP or DAAR (or even CBR)? The Skyliner would make this whole thing a lot more efficient.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Another reason not to drive.

(I share your opinion about driving to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. We ALWAYS rent a car and ALWAYS drive to those destinations, but you're adding an absolutely enormous amount of commute time by funneling your MK itinerary through the TTC.)

I am going to have to take this into consideration and maybe move the Chef Mickey's to another day/park and then take the bus to MK on day one. I REALLY REALLY do not want to get back on one of those things. I may even go back to the resort midday and get the car so I can still rope drop that day.

CaptainAmerica

I am going to have to take this into consideration and maybe move the Chef Mickey's to another day/park and then take the bus to MK on day one. I REALLY REALLY do not want to get back on one of those things. I may even go back to the resort midday and get the car so I can still rope drop that day.
Are you talking about an early morning Chef Mickey's prior to park opening? Why not just drive directly to the Contemporary instead of driving to the TTC and then monorailing to the Contemporary?

nickys

Premium Member
You will be able to get to MK, everyone gets let in 60 minutes before official park opening. It’s just that you’ll then be entering with everyone else and need to get through the crowds at the Hub to line up for either TL or FL.

If you want to ride Space Mtn or 7dmt, you could buy ILLs for them, rather than try and rope drop them which is what everyone else will try and do.

Peter Pan is also a popular choice. If you’re at the back of the early entry crowd, if you want to ride PP then I would still head there but realise that you won’t get a lot more done before the offsite people get in. That’s OK though because they’ll be trying for the same 3 rides by then.

Whatever you decide to do during early entry, you can then get lined up at the rope between FL and Liberty Square, ready to head over to FrontierLand, AdventureLand or HM right at park opening.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Are you talking about an early morning Chef Mickey's prior to park opening? Why not just drive directly to the Contemporary instead of driving to the TTC and then monorailing to the Contemporary?

I think you misunderstood. We usually drive to the Contemporary for a 7am reservation, eat, then drive to the TTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom