General Marvel News: Phases, Timelines, Misc....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
In other news, per Forbes- Eternals 2, Ant-Man 4, and Captain Marvel 3 aka The Marvels 2 are all dead.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. After all, Iger had to calm investors by saying they were going to slow down and focus on fewer, more-likely-to-make-money films. That would leave these poorer performers off the list.

Something which anyone watching Disney would be easy to guess at and be correct.

But given this is actually from "an insider" (and not a Forbes journalist) who puts these insider leaks behind a Patreon wall, I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't true.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I would 100% support those decisions to "let it go". Ant-Man 3, Eternals and even Thor 4 were really lesser films in the MCU. I enjoyed The Marvels much more than the first Captain Marvel but that's a low bar as that's one of my least faves of the earlier phases.

That said, since I love Iman Vellani's Kamala, I would actually enjoy watching a Young Avengers tv show with her and America Chavez and some of the others (I really didn't care for Kate or Cassie, but I thought Patriot had potential and I'd like to see the teen Wiccan and Speed kids). Don't think they need to be movie level, but they could be fun in an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D./Runaways weekly adventures kind of way.

erasure fan1

But given this is actually from "an insider" (and not a Forbes journalist) who puts these insider leaks behind a Patreon wall, I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't true.
Honestly it could be true and not true at the same time. They could very well be shelved. They could also very well be brought back if things get back on track with the mcu. We can all assume that any sort of divisive film is getting cut. That doesn't mean it's dead forever.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Honestly it could be true and not true at the same time. They could very well be shelved. They could also very well be brought back if things get back on track with the mcu. We can all assume that any sort of divisive film is getting cut. That doesn't mean it's dead forever.
I would agree and add that it doesn’t mean the characters themselves are shelved. They can still be used in other projects like Secret Wars.

Willmark

Agreed. There is no timetable for keeping something on the “back burner” if they choose to do so.

The exception is Externals IMO. I don’t see them making a sequel.

When they announced it years ago my first reaction was “Eternals? Really?” It was never that major of a book back in the day. If Avengers are seen as B List by some what does that make Eternals? D List at best?

I like the overall ideas of the more cosmic scale, Celestials and all making it work in the big screen was always going to be a challenge.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Info from one interview broken up into clickbaitable bites...

erasure fan1

When they announced it years ago my first reaction was “Eternals? Really?” It was never that major of a book back in the day.
I actually was kind of excited for it. I figured like guardians, not many know the characters. So you had some flexibility. It could have been a fun ensemble film. After having seen it. Yea, no need for a 2nd film. It was a complete mess. You can bring in characters to other projects if you need. But continuing that series would be a major mistake.

Willmark

I actually was kind of excited for it. I figured like guardians, not many know the characters. So you had some flexibility. It could have been a fun ensemble film. After having seen it. Yea, no need for a 2nd film. It was a complete mess. You can bring in characters to other projects if you need. But continuing that series would be a major mistake.
Disagree- the matter is a bit above most if not all the main story lines in the comics. And with less time in a movie to tell it all? It was always going to be a tough sell. If anything telling the cosmic level stories of Marvel needs something like the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga or Marv-ell down right.

Reading them back in the day, Eternals was always an odd bird. Adding the Celestials was really cool, but their war with the Deviants always left me like "why bother?" (on the big screen that is,)

Going to the big screen their appeal was always going to be limited IMO.

Last edited:

Willmark

All that said?

I still stand by a digitally de-aged Chris Evans in the Invaders with the correct cast would be epic. The right actors for the roles (see below) and Disney can return to printing money (note I'm open to casting suggestions.) Of course being Disney they are likely to do a 180 from that and botch it. Or never do it to begin with...because reasons.

As noted:
Captain America- digital de-aged Chris Evans
Union Jack- Timothy Chalamet?
Spitfire- Charlotte Hope
Bucky- Skip for now, but a digitally de-aged Sebastian Stan down the road.
Namor? toughest to cast, do they even include him?
Miss America- need a young actress here.
Wizzer- like Miss America not sure who this should be.
Human Torch/Toro- combine into one character; actor? not sure.

Do this and punch out Nazis and bad guys like Baron Blood or Masterman? Again Disney, PRINT. MONEY.

Of course Disney being Disney? No way they will do that and give us Marvels 3. Most likely, this time with more flerkins, musicals and "singing planets!"

doctornick

All that said?

I still stand by a digitally de-aged Chris Evans in the Invaders with the correct cast would be epic. The right actors for the roles (see below) and Disney can return to printing money (note I'm open to casting suggestions.) Of course being Disney they are likely to do a 180 from that and botch it. Or never do it to begin with...because reasons.

As noted:
Captain America- digital de-aged Chris Evans
Union Jack- Timothy Chalamet?
Spitfire- Charlotte Hope
Bucky- Skip for now, but a digitally de-aged Sebastian Stan down the road.
Namor? toughest to cast, do they even include him?
Miss America- need a young actress here.
Wizzer- like Miss America not sure who this should be.
Human Torch/Toro- combine into one character; actor? not sure.

Do this and punch out Nazis and bad guys like Baron Blood or Masterman? Again Disney, PRINT. MONEY.

Of course Disney being Disney? No way they will do that and give us Marvels 3. Most likely, this time with more flerkins, musicals and "singing planets!"
Namor has already appeared in the MCU

Willmark

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Sub-Mariner, aka Namor first appearing in Marvel Comics #1 (via Timely Comics) aka the company that became Marvel Comics?

I believe his movie rights are a bit murky:
There has been this back and forth unknown with the Uni distribution rights for both Namor and Hulk for a long time. The hints from Feige indicate both can be used in the MCU at any time. The only question is solo films, and I doubt we'd get either of them in a solo film anyways so really doesn't matter.

So I expect both characters to continue to be used in the MCU without much issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom