General Disney Movies/Studios News

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

DKampy

Except as a company you can't pick and choose who you enforce those values with. Pedro did the exact same thing with comparing trump supporters to Nazis. So I'd say she has a good chance of winning, or most likely them settling. If I have 3 employees who are constantly late, I can't just fire the one who I don't like and use being late as the reason. I have to fire them all. And with this case, Disney squarely put their flag in the, doesn't represent are values basket, but let the star do the same thing with no consequences. So it might not be as cut and dry she has no chance as people think. There's a lot of things we don't know about this case so we'll see what happens in discovery. No matter what happens, it's still a bad look for Disney.
It is hard to talk about this without getting into politics… so the only thing I will say is this… I suppose it depends on what is in the contract… if her case stands or not…. But if it is just a Freedom of speech issue… she still has the right to say it… no one is arresting her or stopping her from saying it but Disney also has the freedom to say that does not align with our beliefs

It was the same when everyone screaming free speech at twitter… with out realizing companies also have free speech

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except as a company you can't pick and choose who you enforce those values with. Pedro did the exact same thing with comparing trump supporters to Nazis. So I'd say she has a good chance of winning, or most likely them settling. If I have 3 employees who are constantly late, I can't just fire the one who I don't like and use being late as the reason. I have to fire them all. And with this case, Disney squarely put their flag in the, doesn't represent are values basket, but let the star do the same thing with no consequences. So it might not be as cut and dry she has no chance as people think. There's a lot of things we don't know about this case so we'll see what happens in discovery. No matter what happens, it's still a bad look for Disney.
Except she didn't get fired. She completed her run on Mando, ie her contract was over, and they just didn't continue on with the character in the Star Wars universe, ie she wasn't given a renewed contract for the character. Disney is under no obligation to continue on with her or the character, no matter what she said on Twitter. Now maybe they made that decision based on what was said, but that is their right, just as its her right to say what she said. But given the fact she wasn't fired, and they just didn't renew her contract, I doubt she has any case.

erasure fan1

no one is arresting her or stopping her from saying it but Disney also has the freedom to say that does not align with our beliefs
Oh I completely agree. The issue isn't Disney fired her, although I think they shouldn't have, as I don't think Pedro should have been either. It's the fact they fired her and not Pedro. Especially since they didn't hide the reason for letting her go. So if you're going to publicly let her go for xyz reason. It's a bad look when you turn a blind eye to the same offense with someone else.

erasure fan1

Except she didn't get fired. She completed her run on Mando, ie her contract was over, and they just didn't continue on with the character in the Star Wars universe, ie she wasn't given a renewed contract for the character. Disney is under no obligation to continue on with her or the character, no matter what she said on Twitter. Now maybe they made that decision based on what was said, but that is their right, just as its her right to say what she said. But given the fact she wasn't fired, and they just didn't renew her contract, I doubt she has any case.
There's enough info out there and you can tell how season 3 of Mando played out that her run wasn't completed. And rangers of the new republic was supposed to have her in it from everything that has come out. Like I said earlier, we'll see how discovery goes. If Jon talked to her and told her she was going to be the star of the rangers series, like what has been alleged, they could have some problems. They have also publicly shamed her.
"Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable."
It's just not a good look that Pedro is still going, and got another huge opportunity with Disney. It's a big double standard and a big reason Disney takes so much flack.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There's enough info out there and you can tell how season 3 of Mando played out that her run wasn't completed. And rangers of the new republic was supposed to have her in it from everything that has come out. Like I said earlier, we'll see how discovery goes. If Jon talked to her and told her she was going to be the star of the rangers series, like what has been alleged, they could have some problems. They have also publicly shamed her.

It's just not a good look that Pedro is still going, and got another huge opportunity with Disney. It's a big double standard and a big reason Disney takes so much flack.
Unless it was in her contract to extend her appearances to new seasons she has no case. She is not entitled to future seasons or new projects just because she had a conversation with a writer, director, producer or whomever on the potential of future use of the character, she has to have a contract. And while verbal contracts are a thing in California, they are hard to prove in court, especially in this context. As projects come and go all the time in Hollywood.

So yes discovery will be interesting as all Disney has to do is pull out her contract which will have it laid out the number of appearances and the like, and which I bet also has the normal morality clause which Disney is famous for in their contracts. And so unless there is some other smoking gun that will likely be the end of the case.

Also while maybe bad optics for some, the difference between her and Pedro is that Pedro is under an actual contract.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the updated slate of studio films through 2031 (via Eric Goldman on X).

IMG_3704.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom