General Disney Movies/Studios News

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
That is downright unfair, especially for the rival studios! It's an example of Disney being "greedy pigs". Do you agree with me on that?

It's not like Disney is putting out the majority of movies in theaters. It's just that what they are putting out is high quality (mostly).

It's the fault of the other studios for not being better.

And it's not that there aren't other studios doing almost as well...

1675007698262.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That is downright unfair, especially for the rival studios! It's an example of Disney being "greedy pigs". Do you agree with me on that?
No, no I don’t agree for all the reasons brought up by the others. Plus it’s not like other Studios haven’t purchased others in order to be more competitive.

It’s called show business my friend, emphasis on the business part.

LSLS

LOL. Greedy pigs? Did I miss the fine print of "Each studio receives a $4 million cheque for every nomination"? It's about prestige, and at this point, I'm not even sure about that as much as it's for the "Critics" to try to look smarter and more in the know than everyone else. Do people seriously pay attention to how many Oscars a studio has?

doctornick

LOL. Greedy pigs? Did I miss the fine print of "Each studio receives a $4 million cheque for every nomination"? It's about prestige, and at this point, I'm not even sure about that as much as it's for the "Critics" to try to look smarter and more in the know than everyone else. Do people seriously pay attention to how many Oscars a studio has?

Heck, I'm not even sure Oscar wins really helps the movies that much financially. Many are now streaming titles so they aren't getting box office sales. And is there even much of a Oscar bump for ones still in theaters?

And, anecdotally, I feel like the number of folks who care about Oscar wins is just fewer among the general populace - seems more like an ego thing for studio head and producers/directors than a mark of actual cultural significance.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Fox buyout is weighing Iger down.

Already rebutted...
Any article that begins by calling the buyout $71B is flawed from the beginning.

Is $71B burdensome? Yeah. That's why Disney sold off or wrote off $20B worth of old Fox. The final buyout cost was $51B. And at the time it happened, Wall Street analysts were perfectly fine with that level of debt for Disney. The author scoffed at the idea that it wasn't a full $71B and didn't even bother to look at Disney's balance sheet to see what the current debt was... or its profits.

How can one opine on the financial status of a company and not once glance at any financial statements? Incredible.

The new 20th Century studios are providing Disney with a lot of benefits... like Avatar: Way of Water. The author points out the failures (most of which were in the Fox pipeline before the purchase) and there certainly have been failures under Disney's watch. But then again, Disney's own live action studios keeps pumping out failures, too.

He does point out a few successes, at the same time leaving out the 16 Oscar noms accrued to Disney due to the purchase. Really? His bio is how he's a media analyst expert but he doesn't mention the prestige of all the awards 20th Century is now bringing to Disney?

The whole article is dumb and I am now dumber for having read it (thanks, free trial! -- It's behind a paywall.)

doctornick

Any article that begins by calling the buyout $71B is flawed from the beginning.

Is $71B burdensome? Yeah. That's why Disney sold off or wrote off $20B worth of old Fox. The final buyout cost was $51B. And at the time it happened, Wall Street analysts were perfectly fine with that level of debt for Disney. The author scoffed at the idea that it wasn't a full $71B and didn't even bother to look at Disney's balance sheet to see what the current debt was... or its profits.

Just to clarify, these are the assets acquired from Fox that Disney soon sold off:

Sky: $15B
Fox Sports: $9.6B
YES network: 3.4B
Endemol Shine: $2.2B

That’s actually around $30B which means they paid a bit over $40 billion for the Fox assets they retained. Still a ton of money but a lot less headline worthy than the number quoted in the article.

Are my numbers off?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just to clarify, these are the assets acquired from Fox that Disney soon sold off:

Sky: $15B
Fox Sports: $9.6B
YES network: 3.4B
Endemol Shine: $2.2B

That’s actually around $30B which means they paid a bit over $40 billion for the Fox assets they retained. Still a ton of money but a lot less headline worthy than the number quoted in the article.

Are my numbers off?
No, I made the mistake of picking up the wrong numbers thrown out in one of the posted articles.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney’s box office domination has started early in 2023. Six weeks into the new year, the studio has already cleared $1 billion globally, with ticket sales at $1.283 billion to date. It can take other major studios up to 12 months to hit that benchmark.

Thanks to the combined turnout for “Avatar: The Way of Water,” Marvel’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” and the international re-release of “Titanic,” Disney’s 2023 box office tally stands at $383 domestically and $900 million internationally.

James Cameron’s enduring “Avatar” sequel is the main reason that Disney has surpassed $1 billion faster than its rivals. Over the weekend, “The Way of Water” reached a staggering $2.2433 billion worldwide, enough to overtake “Titanic” ($2.2428 billion) as the third-highest grossing movie of all time. Also during the President’s Day holiday frame, the third “Ant-Man” adventure opened across the globe, performing above expectations with $225 million worldwide."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Kathleen Kennedy to Empire Magazine on her thoughts of following the Bond franchise to eventise the upcoming Star Wars films.

"Now, it’s a question of when those three upcoming movies are expected to arrive – and, as Kennedy tells Empire, that’s simply a case of when they’re ready. “I’ve often brought up Bond,” Kennedy tells us at Star Wars Celebration. “That’s every three or four years and there wasn’t this pressure to feel like you had to have a movie every year. I feel that was very important to Star Wars. We have to eventise this.” The simple answer is, nothing is likely to hit the multiplexes until at least 2025. “It’s much better to tell the truth,” she says, “that we’re going to make these movies when they’re ready to be made, and release them when they’re ready to be released.”"

Full article below.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has shifted many release dates on upcoming films.

Here are all the changes via THR.

Captain America: Brave New World previously dated on 5/3/24 moves to 7/26/24

Thunderbolts previously dated on 7/26/24 moves to 12/20/24

Untitled Alien Event Movie dated on 8/16/24

Blade previously dated on 9/6/24 moves to 2/14/25

Untitled Deadpool Movie previously dated on 11/8/24 moves to 5/3/24

The Amateur (20th) is now dated on 11/8/24

Avatar 3 (20th) previously dated on 12/20/24 moves to 12/19/25

Fantastic Four previously dated on 2/14/25 moves to 5/2/25

Avengers: Kang Dynasty previously dated on 5/2/25 moves to 5/1/26

Moana is dated for 6/27/25

Untitled Star Wars previously dated on 12/19/25 moves to 5/22/26

Avengers: Secret Wars previously dated 5/1/26 is now dated on 5/7/27

Untitled Star Wars is now dated 12/18/26

Avatar 4 (20th) previously dated on 12/18/26 moves to 12/21/29

Avatar 5 (20th) previously dated on 12/22/28 moves to 12/19/31

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom