Gaston Chair Refurb / Rose effect off

Prototype82

Original Poster
I visited Gaston's Tavern on Thursday the 20th. Gaston's chair is away for a refurb. Glad to see they're not letting it get torn up without any care. So don't exactly expect to get your picture taken with it this week. Feel free to post an update here when it's back!

With all my complaints about maintenance in the parks, there was virtually no litter whatsoever in the river under Beast's Castle bridge and Flotsam and Jetsum are still looking great. Only immobile animatronics I encountered the whole trip were the climbing safari-goers on Jungle Cruise. And is Maurice's weathervane frozen? It was like that on my last trip. The moving features on the Enchanted Tales with Belle sign seemed to be working. It's still beyond me how well Haunted Mansion's queue is aging. Everything was working beautifully.

EDIT: I'm glad I'm not just seeing things: The rose effect seems to be dimmer than usual and there is a bit of grainy noise in the projection. Any ideas what this could be caused by? I wouldn't mind updates on the status of both Gaston's Chair and the Be Our Guest effects in this thread.

Last edited:

Sped2424

I went today and there was some litter really just a couple of maps in the bridge underneath the BOG area, but I am sure that is easy to get rid of. Now pirates is in DIRE DIRE need of a long and good refurb. Lumiere and Madam wardrobe are fine and well. However there is a real issue over at the Be our guest restaurant that no one seems to be commenting on. And that is the enchanted rose, I don't know what is wrong with it but the projection effect is very very off. Here is the rose round the same time last year
MK_FL_Be_Our_Guest_WestWing_rose-goldhaber.jpg

Vivid, and it had depth and looked quite real and beautiful. This is the enchanted rose now
be-our-guest.jpg

Dim, see through and it has these weird white dots everywhere. Perhaps something about the projection was damaged from flash photography? Is that possible? Either way this has looked like this since about early february or late january whenever I last visited the MK and nothing has been done.

Beyond that the rest of fantasyland is just fine, the one thing I noticed in dire need of some help at the magic kingdom was pirates. Not since splash have I wanted a ride to be closed for 4 months just to fix it all up, the audio is off in many places with weird sound levels due to what I assume is some blown speakers. Many of the animatronics could use some sprucing up as some aren't even moving while others are just barely passing as functioning. The point is pirates needs a good 2-3 month refurb and it needs it bad.

Prototype82

Original Poster
I went today and there was some litter really just a couple of maps in the bridge underneath the BOG area, but I am sure that is easy to get rid of. Now pirates is in DIRE DIRE need of a long and good refurb. Lumiere and Madam wardrobe are fine and well. However there is a real issue over at the Be our guest restaurant that no one seems to be commenting on. And that is the enchanted rose, I don't know what is wrong with it but the projection effect is very very off. Here is the rose round the same time last year
MK_FL_Be_Our_Guest_WestWing_rose-goldhaber.jpg

Vivid, and it had depth and looked quite real and beautiful. This is the enchanted rose now
be-our-guest.jpg

Dim, see through and it has these weird white dots everywhere. Perhaps something about the projection was damaged from flash photography? Is that possible? Either way this has looked like this since about early february or late january whenever I last visited the MK and nothing has been done.

Beyond that the rest of fantasyland is just fine, the one thing I noticed in dire need of some help at the magic kingdom was pirates. Not since splash have I wanted a ride to be closed for 4 months just to fix it all up, the audio is off in many places with weird sound levels due to what I assume is some blown speakers. Many of the animatronics could use some sprucing up as some aren't even moving while others are just barely passing as functioning. The point is pirates needs a good 2-3 month refurb and it needs it bad.
So I wasn't going crazy? It did seem dim to me. Could it be something as simple as dust accumulating on the lens? Also, did the snow outside seem dimmer than usual? I thought it did, though the effect remained convincing...

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride Pirates. I have been concerned about it. Was the air cannon effect functioning? That's my favorite effect in the whole ride.

Last edited:

Sped2424

So I wasn't going crazy? It did seem dim to me. Could it be something as simple as dust accumulating on the lens? Also, did the snow outside seem dimmer than usual? I thought it did, though the effect remained convincing...
the snow did seem dimmer to me as well, I had to look to see it this time!

Prototype82

Original Poster
the snow did seem dimmer to me as well, I had to look to see it this time!
I'd like to know exactly where the projector is and how the Rose effect works. I'd love to pretend like I know how to diagnose the malfunction. The noise in the projection could be dust. Who knows.

Sped2424

I'd like to know exactly where the projector is and how the Rose effect works. I'd love to pretend like I know how to diagnose the malfunction. The noise in the projection could be dust. Who knows.
Either way covering it up for a week to fix it wouldn't hurt!

Scuttle

The thing bothers me about Pirates is the amount of trash people leave while waiting in the queue. At one time I seem to remember a trash can midway through but it still amazes me people leave bottles, etc., sitting on the props. :(
It's all gone downhill when it comes maintenance and clean up. When I was there the 20th, while we were walking up to Epcot from the parking lot at 9:15am there was a full trash can with trash overflowing. I mean really at 9:15am?

Prototype82

Original Poster
Either way covering it up for a week to fix it wouldn't hurt!
I don't know...I'd expect a LOT of disappointed guests. People visit just to see that thing. I'd imagine trying to do it overnight would be their best bet. If that's even possible. They've moved mountains after park hours. Only thing is- that's all pre-fab.

Prototype82

Original Poster
It's all gone downhill when it comes maintenance and clean up. When I was there the 20th, while we were walking up to Epcot from the parking lot at 9:15am there was a full trash can with trash overflowing. I mean really at 9:15am?
I have seen this phenomenon. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I don't know...I'd expect a LOT of disappointed guests. People visit just to see that thing. I'd imagine trying to do it overnight would be their best bet. If that's even possible. They've moved mountains after park hours. Only thing is- that's all pre-fab.

Why don't they produce two and have the second as a backup for when the first burns out (if that is the case here, which I'm suspecting is, whether it's dust damage, or from flash photography) - they would be able to swap them overnight and no one would be any wiser. It wouldn't require a refurb or downtime.

I really wish the current management had an ounce... just an ounce of foresight into planning things out, and gave a little more freedom with ordering 'extras'.

Scuttle

people driving all night to get to the park when it opens, cleaning out their cars... not impossible,
Not impossible for Disney to plan around that. But no way 9:15 am I seriously doubt it. Someone took the night clean up shift off is what happened.

LithiumBill

"there is a real issue over at the Be our guest restaurant" - Really? Besides the food (which was subpar)?

We sat right next to that rose Decemeber 2012, shortly after open (Xmas day to be precise). And it was amazing, looking at the pictures, you can;t tell the difference. Ones close up one is far away. The cameras are different as well, the lighting is different (look at the color of the blue behind the drapes, one is much lighter)... In person it may well be dimmer, but you can;t tell from the photos.

Argue that the food stinks, and I am right there with you. But that restaurant is beautiful. The West Wing in particular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom