Garner Holt takes over Disney's MAPO Division

DisneyJoe

If it isn't outsourced, it should be. And if it IS outsourced, they should choose one company and have them handle all the web content. Their web network is an absolute disaster.

You seem to think that outsourced IT is better than internal. In my 25 years of experience, it can vary greatly, I've seen good and bad on both sides. Much depends on the managerment and system architects too.

I've been dealing with Disney IT since the late 90's, and while I have seen many improvements, believe it or not (like getting new rates and offers into the systems much faster, it used to take days or even weeks), there is still a great feeling of things lacking.

DocMcHulk

You seem to think that outsourced IT is better than internal. In my 25 years of experience, it can vary greatly, I've seen good and bad on both sides. Much depends on the managerment and system architects too.

I've been dealing with Disney IT since the late 90's, and while I have seen many improvements, believe it or not (like getting new rates and offers into the systems much faster, it used to take days or even weeks), there is still a great feeling of things lacking.
Am I correct in understanding that the "lower level" IT jobs are outsourced and the system admins and higher are all internal?

Alektronic

Yes.

If it isn't outsourced, it should be. And if it IS outsourced, they should choose one company and have them handle all the web content. Their web network is an absolute disaster.

All the web based programs on the internet and their websites are outsourced and all the intraweb resources also including the Hub and Maximo,etc. They were outsourced to IBM IT services. Some of the more local services like Fast Pass and POS are taken care by Disney IT.

Tom

Beta Return

No, all I was saying was that whatever they're doing now.....reverse it, because it's not working.

You are right that their web department has gotten a bit better at rolling out changes when new offers or rates are published. Beyond that, there are still a LOT of systems that don't integrate properly.

I used to browse their web code (you know, for "fun"), and there used to be all kinds of //comments that said things like, "//This is still broken - fix sometime". It was quite amusing. Very unprofessional, as if the specific coder didn't know that snippet would be pasted into the CMS without any review.

Am I correct in understanding that the "lower level" IT jobs are outsourced and the system admins and higher are all internal?

This would not surprise me.

DocMcHulk

This would not surprise me.
I know some stuff is outsourced to IBM and another company whose name escapes me. But to what extent, I am not sure. I know you normally dont see "help desk" level positions on the disney jobs site... believe, I am always looking. THe posted jobs tend to be system admins and higher.

Scuttle

Walt Disney Productions used to be a creative company now its just the "Disney holding, branding and marketing company. Again, I must insist Iger has been worse than Eisner long term. At least Eisner had some vision.

Eisner didn't just have vision. He was also passionate and proud of the Disney name. We all know the stories of Eisner. Sure he was cocky and arrogant, but I'll take that over what we have now. As most of us know Iger is just on cruise control until he's done and then he's off to Washington.

E

Engenie

I know personally, I always prefer in house vs contract, unless it’s extremely specialized. But I think a lot of people forget that even from the beginning of WDI and to the present a lot of things are not done in house. Sure WDI has architects on staff, but almost everything from the poly (archt. Welton Becket) to yacht and beach (archt. R.A.M. Stern) has an outside architect. Sure, Disney did not invent architecture, but I believe a certain parallel can be drawn. Even Disney did not pick the Florida property without heavy consultations from Economic Research Assoc. and the Stanford Research Inst. (per the official Bob Thomas bio), he always did reserve final approval. So I do not see how AA’s could be much different than a hotel or any other property, keep your own more streamline staff to give the final orders, demands, and approvals, but defer to a higher expertise when need be. Even myself find it hard to swallow, as MAPO is a true original, but I’ll reserve judgment, if AA’s improve in the parks, it will be worth it, and can just fall in line with others in a long line of experts Disney has called upon in its history. And if the AA’s get worse, then it’s just an old school stupid move…

RSoxNo1

Eisner didn't just have vision. He was also passionate and proud of the Disney name. We all know the stories of Eisner. Sure he was cocky and arrogant, but I'll take that over what we have now. As most of us know Iger is just on cruise control until he's done and then he's off to Washington.
Eisner also had Wells to help steer the ship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom