Garbage Can Liners

EdnaMode

Original Poster
We were at a resort last week and they didn't have trash can liners when we arrived, nor did they put them in during the daily cleaning. (We were there for a week, so I don't think it was a fluke.) We ended up using any little sack we could find, and didn't bother with the bins. But...did garbage can liners go the way of plastic straws? Do they disinfect the garbage cans instead now??

Lensman

I'm no sure why Disney is doing it, but here are some thoughts in case you were just curious:
1. It may be cheaper for hotels to dispense with wastebasket liners as they don't have to buy liners plus the housekeeping staff doesn't have to open the liners and put them in the wastebaskets.
2. I read that many hotels are also reducing to just one wastebasket in the restroom, eliminating the one in the main room. This *is* to save money, according to the hotel managers that were interviewed.
3. I wonder if it does have to do with recycling where if the trash is being sorted into recyclables and non-recyclables, the liner may just get in the way.
4. High end hotels have always been less likely to line their wastebaskets because, well, apparently lining your non-kitchen wastebaskets is declassé. Lol. Who knew? (Not me, apparently!)

piglet1

Not to mention those of us who are DVC and only get Trash & Towel on the fourth day - it helps to have liners to dump our garbage and cans/bottles without having to haul the whole container to the trash closet and back. Usually we drop if off on our way out for the day or evening

sgtbtlbailey

We stayed at POFQ in November and there weren't bags in the trash cans when we arrived. After our first night when we were offered the $10/day resort credit to waive housekeeping by the front desk, I brought it up to the CM because he was telling us we could still put our trash outside for pickup. He said there should be bags in the cans and would have some brought up to our room. Heaven only knows what people throw in the trash - food being the least of my concerns. For sanitary reasons alone, all of the trash cans in the room should have bags.

mouse_luv

We had them at AKL a few weeks ago. We also had two different cans, one regular trash the other recycling.

They usually have extra liners in bottom of can.

BuddyThomas

Lensman

I'd prefer to keep this thread on-topic and specific to garbage can liners at the resorts.

@EdnaMode, which resort were you at? I wonder if it was a training issue or whether it's some new resort-specific policy?

It doesn't entirely make sense to me that housekeeping would put extra liners at the bottom of the wastebasket but not put a liner on the basket itself because then the trash just gets thrown on top of the extra liners.

At home, I used to use liners until I realized that 99% of the time I was just dumping the contents of the liner into the trash and not replacing the liner until something horrible got thrown into it (which in practice never happened). Subsequent to this, I stopped using liners anywhere but the kitchen trashcan and the bathroom trashcan. It might also be that I've become slightly less germaphobic over the years. :)

celluloid

The only time Magic Kingodm has typically used liners in the past in most of the main areas of the park is if the Avac system was down. I used to work custodial and that was a fun time. It very well could be a cost saving measure to dump loose articles into a larger bin with a liner and ideally give a spray to the liner to disinfect.

KikoKea

Shades of Green had no liners the past couple of trips this Spring. We eat instant oatmeal or cereal every morning in the room, so we were careful to place the dirty paper bowl in the trashcan so it wouldn't drip. I can understand cutting back on plastic and making less work for the staff, but it seems to me that it would create more work for them if they have to clean gunk from the trashcan. Even if replacing a dirty container, they would need someone to clean the dirty ones.

mouse_luv

I'd prefer to keep this thread on-topic and specific to garbage can liners at the resorts.

@EdnaMode, which resort were you at? I wonder if it was a training issue or whether it's some new resort-specific policy?

It doesn't entirely make sense to me that housekeeping would put extra liners at the bottom of the wastebasket but not put a liner on the basket itself because then the trash just gets thrown on top of the extra liners.

At home, I used to use liners until I realized that 99% of the time I was just dumping the contents of the liner into the trash and not replacing the liner until something horrible got thrown into it (which in practice never happened). Subsequent to this, I stopped using liners anywhere but the kitchen trashcan and the bathroom trashcan. It might also be that I've become slightly less germaphobic over the years. :)

It may be because we were DVC, but we always have extra liners in the bottom of the can. They usually place one in the can on top but we know they have the extras in the bottom when we need to do an extra run of trash ourselves. The fact that OP didn't have a liner in their can makes me think Mousekeeping was slacking.

EdnaMode

Original Poster
We were in a villa at Polynesian. There were definitely no little piles of extra liners sitting at the bottom of any of the wastebaskets and there wasn't one hanging over the side of any of them.

There wasn't a basket in the room, just one beneath the kitchenette sink and one in each washroom. (We were at GF a couple of months ago and there were liners in all of the baskets at that time.)

Heaven only knows what people throw in the trash - food being the least of my concerns. For sanitary reasons alone, all of the trash cans in the room should have bags.

Exactly! 🤪🤮

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I stay in a DVC one bedroom. Liner in both the garbage and recycle bins. No liner in the bathroom trash can. I'd forgo the liner in the recycle bin and put one in the bathroom trashcan, considering what I throw in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom