Gamefly

catinthehat

Original Poster
Is anyone in here familiar with this service?? I'm not a huge gamer myself, but the idea of the service sounds pretty awesome so I was looking into some subscriptions as holiday gifts. Figured I'd get some opinions on it first-- anyone use this service or know much about it??

catinthehat

Original Poster
oh nothing specific-- just wanted to get some general opinions from people who use it. with the holidays coming up and all, I figured it'd be a cool gift idea that will also help me stay away from the crowded malls! You enjoy it I assume since you are a 2 year user? What kind of plan do you think is best to get as a gift?

Salty-

GameFly comes in two flavors initially. A one game plan is $14.95 and a two game plan is $21.95 per month. If you are a member in good standing, they will offer a 3 or 4 game plan ($28.95 and $35.95 respectively) later.

If you've ever used Netflix, then you know how to use a online rental service.

You choose a list of games and place them in a queue. You can keep the games for as long/short as you want. When a game is a returned, GameFly ships the next game in your queue.

Nearly all games that I've wanted have been available and the ones that weren't were only a few days (at most) wait. The availibility will show next to the game.

You have the option to keep (buy) games that you rent. This is a good deal if you like the game. Sometimes there can be a $10-$15 savings off new games. Shipping of the case and manual is either free or a nominal charge of like $2. The case and manual are opened (obviously) but are in pristine condition when you get them.

Downsides:

GameFly is out of the Los Angeles area. I live in Utah, so games shipped on Monday usually get to me on Wednesday (sometimes Thursday). Midwest/ East Coasters can expect longer times. Since GameFly doesn't ship another game until one is returned, the turn-around time for a game could be slow.

GameFly DOES have a service called FastReturn that works with the USPS. Basically, when you send a game back, the USPS will scan the barcode information on the prepaid return envelope and notify GameFly that a game is on its way. GameFly will then send out aonther game whilst a game is in the mail coming back to them. This can cut down the turn-around time.

However, not all Post Offices have this technology and there are reports that some USPS employees don't scan even if they have scanners :brick: .

Hope this helps.

Happy gaming!

Salty-

New post-
I guess I need to slow down when I read others responses. I didn't really address your direct questions.:eek:

I've used it for 2 years and am generally happy with the service. As mentioned, the turn-around time is the only downer.
The local Blockbuster type stores offer similar plans in which I could return and pick up a game that day but their selection is horrid at best. I'm a little particular on wanting to find a game that I am interested in. For those that weren't, then maybe a local Blockbuster plan is not a bad idea. (But be prepared for only finding bottom-tier games)

I choose the 3 game-plan (offered later) and this seems to be a happy mix for me since I game a little more than the average. I have a Playstation 2, GameCube, GameBoy Advance, Xbox, and Xbox 360 so I can have games out for multiple systems out at a time.

It's hard to tell you how to spend your money especially since this will be a recurring monthly charge; but with the 2 options available for you right now, the 2 game option is what I'd recommend. The 1 game option really isn't worth it.

catinthehat

Original Poster
Wow! WHat can I say?! Thank you-- this was a huge help! Again, since I am not a huge gamer, putting it in regular terms was really great-- very much appreciated!

The fast return thing sounds like a great idea-- it's always good to speed things up whenever possible. And hopefully, they'll be working with more post offices so it can be available nationwide.

So since I am doing it as gifts, am I able to just do it for say, 3 or 6 months (then they can continue should they want to)? Kind of like a test run-- which actually is what this whole service seems to be about-- testing out everything. It seems like the right idea to test a game before you spend all that money on it (since games are so expensive)-- plus, that option there is to buy it (and at a discounted rate) is even better.

Sounds like a winner---I think I will do it-- think I should?

Salty-

Man - I didn't even know they had gift cards.

http://www.gamefly.com/giftcert/giftbuy.asp

The only concern if you bought the service was who was going to manage it? But looks like this is the easy way. You pay - they manage. All is well.

Should you do the service? If I got this as a gift, I'd be thrilled. Those on your list should be thrilled too.

"Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year." - Cousin Eddie

catinthehat

Original Poster
Exactly! I wouldn't even know what to do if I had to manage it-- so it's great that I can just be the "sugardaddy" and let them take it from there. Plus, I like that idea of it being a gift "that keeps on giving" -- everytime they order, they'll have a pleasnt little thought of lil ol me :)

Glad to hear you like my idea-- takes a lot of my chest. Maybe if you're a good boy, Santa will bring you something similar ;) Actually, I feel like I should almost get you a little subscription for being so helpful! No, but in all honesty, you've been very insightful. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

catinthehat

Original Poster
Just wanted to let you know I got it-- went very smoothly. Now I am just excited to give them the gifts! I think I may give a few early just so I can see the reactions! Thanks again for all your help!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom