GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo14

I'm still a little confused about who the pass is for. It was my understanding that being in a wheelchair gives you access into the wheelchair entrances, so the chair basically serves as your pass. The original purpose of the pass was for those people whose physical limitations are less obvious than that. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, but I thought that was the policy.

pais

Hello, I'm new here but a DVC member and longtime Disney fan. I've been reading comments about the new DAC on other sites and just found this one. It's fantastic. I know someone who lives near Disney whose friends (they're all in early 70's) get 'the handicapped pass' (that's what they call it) and will ride rides over and over. They rode Toy Story three times in a row a few weeks ago. These people are able-bodied enough to walk all around the parks from open to close but can't stand in line. It makes me sick that those disabled lines have gotten increasingly longer because of people like that, who are a dime a dozen. I welcome the new DAS because of this and am hopeful that extremely ill and terminal children will have less waits because of it.

BigThunderMatt

I'm still a little confused about who the pass is for. It was my understanding that being in a wheelchair gives you access into the wheelchair entrances, so the chair basically serves as your pass. The original purpose of the pass was for those people whose physical limitations are less obvious than that. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, but I thought that was the policy.

You're absolutely right.

pais

......so ...I sucked it up and watched ALL her videos. And now, I would seriously love to know if she was the inspiration for this? I'm sure she was....
I made the mistake of watching two of her videos, then some others from some lady named Whittle. Ugh! They are both beyond snarky and entitled. The woman who was badgering the poor CM at Toy Story really needs anger management or to vacation somewhere a little less frenetic. I literally felt my blood starting to boil listening to both of their rants.

pais

Oh my gosh I want to knock this women's teeth out and all her loyal followers on FB. What a bunch of entitled group of twits. I love how a few of her FB likers keep saying Walt would flip over in his grave...
My favorite part was when she ranted something to the effect that they gave her a bunch of fast passes to avoid her having to call the cops. Calling the police from a Disney Park because you're not getting your own way? LOL! Hopefully the new system gets rid of people like this! Given a choice between standing in line with her or her son, choosing the son would be a no brainer for me. I couldn't stand breathing the same air as this toxic woman.

Gomer

I just finsished watching some of the videos. Her poor son. I don't usually tear up much, but in the one where she is complaining to the camera about going to guest relations and detailing her son's behavior and how it might require police interatcion if he gets out of hand. She then goes on to say, how they may not be able to come back anymore. You can hear her son in the background. "I'm sorry. Will get better next time." And she doesn't even notice.

It really makes me sick how people can be so in their own heads and think they are fighting for their disabled children and be so completely ignoring them at the same time. Her son is trying. She is using him as a device to threaten Disney, and he is scared that she will take it away from him and it will be the fault of his autism. Imagine the psychological damage these threats to take away something he loves is casuing to him. Its hard for me to watch honestly.

Mr Bill

Correct. Being in a wheelchair alone doesn't necessitate a GAC or DAS, but it doesn't necessarily prevent one from obtaining a pass if they have other issues as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But forget my particular needs. Issue I pointed out was the Guest Relations CM specifically refused me because I don't have autism. He took one look at my chair and judged me. It didn't get straightened out until a manager took over.

You also conveniently chose to keep ignoring the info that said DAS was not needed for wheelchair accessibility. But instead you want something BEYOND wheelchair accessibility so you press the topic.

I don't doubt the screwup of some front-line CM and the words they chose... but the underlying principle is the same. DAS was not intended for wheelchair accommodations.

Last edited:

BroganMc

I've never seen one post about a "wheelie" who would be denied access, and how unforgiving the crowd is about you, and how uncaring society is about you, until your posts.

The arguement (and it is one) has never been about "wheelies" (as you coined the term).

Ever.

So, if that's how you are being treated, well, I can't argue your subjective points. However, I can say you are setting up a straw man, and then burning him down, as no one in any of these contentious threads (and there have been a few, you must admit) have said that someone in a wheelchair for whatever reason is abusing the GAC.

That is not what I said. I quoted someone who stored those with physical disabilities would be more readily helped now while chastising the idea of autistic people being the complainers because they were abusers. The opposite is proving true. Many people in wheelchairs are being denied access to the program and being told it is for the autistic.

I know folks here have no issue with those having severe enough physical disabilities to make them full time wheelies get a little extra help. I'm telling you that is not how the program is being applied initially.

I'm not getting into current thread fervor over that one mom FB poster because that is the straw man. She's being brought out so people in favor of the change can go on with their gripes about abusers. Meanwhile the people who probably needed a program to help them have a vacation anywhere near comparable to a regular guest are being denied. (A guest with a severe mobility disability never was able just get directly on a ride as you experienced in the Safari wheelie queue.)

pais

I just finsished watching some of the videos. Her poor son. I don't usually tear up much, but in the one where she is complaining to the camera about going to guest relations and detailing her son's behavior and how it might require police interatcion if he gets out of hand. She then goes on to say, how they may not be able to come back anymore. You can hear her son in the background. "I'm sorry. Will get better next time." And she doesn't even notice.

It really makes me sick how people can be so in their own heads and think they are fighting for their disabled children and be so completely ignoring them at the same time. Her son is trying. She is using him as a device to threaten Disney, and he is scared that she will take it away from him and it will be the fault of his autism. Imagine the psychological damage these threats to take away something he loves is casuing to him. Its hard for me to watch honestly.
Oh I so agree. He seemed like a sweetheart in the videos I watched, always smiling. Her anger must have a horrible effect on him. She was talking about him like he would become Jason or something. Imagine what's not on camera?
He seemed fine entertaining himself with his tablet device while she ranted into her camera. If she wanted to try, she could upload some neat Disney stuff for him on that to distract him. But she seems hell bent on negativity.

Pinkerton

Banned
You people do realize that mothers like her are going to have to worry about and take care of their severely Autistic children for the rest of their lives? I say, and Disney obviously agrees, give them the FOTL passes if it makes them happy. God Bless these mothers and the pain and hardship that they suffer every day.

Gomer

You people do realize that mothers like her are going to have to worry about and take care of their severely Autistic children for the rest of their lives? I say, and Disney obviously agrees, give them the FOTL passes if it makes them happy. God Bless these mothers and the pain and hardship that they suffer every day.

First, I am a parent of an autistic child. So yes, I am aware and that is exactly why I find her bahvior so offensive.
I am glad you've stopped considering us "invisible disabilities" people "traitors to our own kind" and appreciate the sentiment, but using your child in a battle like this is never a good thing.

Pinkerton

Banned
I am glad you've stopped considering us "invisible disabilities" people "traitors to our own kind" and appreciate the sentiment, but using your child in a battle like this is never a good thing.
I had a change of heart after seeing the bullies on this forum abuse and judge those with any type of Autism. However, I do consider those parents with mildly-Autistic children who acted like Autism Hippie (a mother with a severely Autistic child) repulsive. I am glad to see Disney catering to the severely Autistic because those parents need a break. We have a child with severe CP and she is no where the maintenance and worry as those who are severely Autistic. I do not envy these mothers at all (and I say mothers because most of the fathers split once they realized the child was disabled, jerks).

Gomer

I had a change of heart after seeing the bullies on this forum abuse and judge those with any type of Autism. However, I do consider those parents with mildly-Autistic children who acted like Autism Hippie (a mother with a severely Autistic child) repulsive. I am glad to see Disney catering to the severely Autistic because those parents need a break. We have a child with severe CP and she is no where the maintenance and worry as those who are severely Autistic. I do not envy these mothers at all (and I say mothers because most of the fathers split once they realized the child was disabled, jerks).
Very true. As a father of a child with Autism. I take no offense at that. Too many do split. That's one of the reasons why parents of disabled children have over a 50% divorce rate.

duchess1

But Disney doesn't agree - which is why the system has been changed. Disney is a private company and has every right to change their policies as they see fit as long as they are within the law.

Pinkerton

Banned
But Disney doesn't agree - which is why the system has been changed. Disney is a private company and has every right to change their policies as they see fit as long as they are within the law.
They gave Autism Hippie 33 FastPasses and I hope all severely autistic children will and should receive them. These children can become obsessed with one ride, hence the need for the unlimited FastPass. You tell the child no and they go ballistic. It is either that or these kids can't do Disney and that is not fair to them or their non-disabled siblings.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Meh, welcome to a "customer facing position"...he'll learn a lot.
Yeah, he had pretty much seen every angle guests tried to pull after his first stint as a CP and he did two before he graduated college. He had been in customer service dealing with patrons since he was 15 years old. He is blessed with the ability to remain matter-a-fact, diplomacy and the ability calm situations. That said some guests are just stupid. The mindset, if they act ignorant they will get exactly what they want and the CMs have to just take whatever they dish out. Not so much. Security is his/CMs best resource for the very stupid.

The same is likely to happen with the DAS transition. There was too much media out there yesterday and this week. It was lead stories for many media outlets and will blow over with the media in a week or two. There were also so many Lifestyles out in the parks yesterday taking photo's and answering questions, getting the scoop for their members or trying out the system for themselves in a few instances. This system changed unexpectedly for some guests mid trip and some unaware but all of this transition will smooth out soon and I'd watch for Disney to become more stringent. Disney and CMs don't want this to fail. Just like FP return times, CMs will become more experienced in dealing with guests special requests. Soon CMs will have heard it all, every angle and will have go to responses for why they (guests) are more special than others and should have front-line access.

With the parks being relatively slow yesterday some guests were catching on that they actually had to wait longer with a FP return time to kill then if they just got in the stand-by queue. Astonishingly may of these guests that thought they that couldn't wait in a queue actually did just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom