GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I believe the DAS guest needs to be present at the reservations kiosk. Reservations kiosk is not necessarily AT the ride itself. I think there are to be 4-5 kiosks throughout the park (not including guest relations at the park entrances).

The challenge IMO will be at the kiosk in having the CM announce "Ok let's get you a reservation for attraction blah-blah" and having your autistic son overhear.......and not understand you are not immediately getting on attraction blah-blah."

Actually, the guest with the DAS HAS to actually ride the ride. That is one of the problems with the current system. Someone gets a GAC, but then decides they don't want to ride, but everyone in their party gets to go.

Why not pitch it as being special and getting a reservation? Why say that there is a wait? Explain that they have a reservation, just like for dinner. It seems that would make it more special, and not a punishment. Of course, the parents have to manage the expectations of the child prior to getting there, that they will simply NOT be able to ride something immediately.

Goofyernmost

I believe the DAS guest needs to be present at the reservations kiosk. Reservations kiosk is not necessarily AT the ride itself. I think there are to be 4-5 kiosks throughout the park (not including guest relations at the park entrances).

The challenge IMO will be at the kiosk in having the CM announce "Ok let's get you a reservation for attraction blah-blah" and having your autistic son overhear.......and not understand you are not immediately getting on attraction blah-blah.

I wonder how kiosk CMs will handle this. It might behoove DAS families to give kiosk CMs a head's up not to mention the attraction by name when dealing with an autistic child who does not understand the "waiting."
I believe that this would be incorrect. The DAS card is for the person with the disability not everyone going with them. One of the big abuses has been when a group of people go to Disneyworld/Disneyland with granny that really probably won't ride anything anyway, park her in the shade and used her GAC card to walk up and get on the ride.

Why would it be ok for the family to use it and the person it was meant for sit and wait for them. How can that not be the most obvious abuse that anyone could come up with. Anyway, I believe you will find that the purpose of the card being embedded with their picture is because if the card is to be used the person it was meant for must be riding it as well. Otherwise...it's just a piece of paper. This is why they are changing it.

I cannot wait for the massive rush of "reasons" why everyone other then the needy should be able use it. It should be interesting.

WWWD

I completely agree. Being "fat" doesn't mean you are disabled, some people it does, but the majority is just plain laziness. The worst I saw on my last trip was a bus pulled up at DTD to the Contemp. and a lady in her early 50's was in a scooter. The bus was about 3/4 full and the driver asked her- "do you want me to wake up these 3 kids since that is the bench I have to put up to park your scooter?" The lady replied: Yes, I want on this bus and am not going to wait for another". Mind you, she just wheeled up about a minute before the bus arrived. So the driver woke up the kids that were sleeping in their parents laps and those parents were quite irrated. Then of course, 5 or 6 others in the scooter lady's party had to board in front of everyone else. She parked the scooter, and then easily walked to an open seat on the bus.

Your experience with that lady made me so mad, I just cussed that lady out in my head.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, groups do it now to get around the '6 per card' limit. The one I outlined would be used to get around the 'only one return time per card' limit... and could also be used to get around the guest limit per card. But the 'value' in this gaming is getting more rides in.

The point of my exercise was to show one of the ways how there will still be an attractive angle to the DAS for abusers. The 'one return time' will discourage many, but if the workarounds and payoffs balance out.. abuse will grow over time. DAS certainly puts up new barriers... but it's not locked tight.
I agree, but they sure are making more difficult aren't they. It's not really that much more difficult for the people with real problems, but, for those, like you cited...huge group multiple cards, can still happen but where is the guarantee that they will all be able to ride specific rides at the same time. If they are legitimate and a manageable group there should be no problem. For those in deceit mode...it just became a whole lot more complicated and maybe not as worth the effort as the old GAC was.

Goofyernmost

There are many forms of disability, not all are wheelchair bound and that is completely understood. Mostly I was speaking about mothers who take multiple children in to change clothes, or use the larger area as a feeding station. The latter has happened at least twice on each of our trips and so much more. It is usually a guest that takes 20-30 minutes or longer in the stall that is an issue, not someone who actually needs the facility or is in and out in a normal amount of time.
Although, it may be possible, who would want to spend anymore time hanging around on a toilet then absolutely necessary, especially in a theme park. Seriously, we are grasping at straws now. My advice, see what happens and then make suggestion on how it could be better.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
GAC abuse has always irritated me, DMIL has Plantar fasciitis and usually tours the world in a wheelchair as walking for extended distances is a non starter, Don't even mention the GAC in her presence unless you have strong suicidal tendencies "ie My feet hurt I'm not disabled" We would always take the regular queues so no special advantages for our group. But when you see groups blatantly abusing GAC it's just really annoying

Tom Morrow

@rct247 laid it out pretty accurately a few pages ago. About 15% of the GAC users legitimately need the assistance, 40% maybe kinda/sorta need some aspect of it or have convinced themselves they need it, and 45% are flat out abusing it because "screw you, got mine."

Many of you think the GACs are still kind of rare, but at major attractions over this summer they accounted for 1/6th of everyone riding.

Disvillain63

I doubt this will actually change at all. You don't need a GAC/DAS for your family to cut the line for the bus. Anyone can roll up in a wheel chair and have their entire party board first (even if that part fills half the bus). And you don't need a wheelchair to get the GAC. I think its likely that scooter use might actually increase if it allows any extra access at lines as it can be had by simply coughing up the money for the scooter and not having to deal with the messy job of lying at Guest Relations to get the DAS card. Currently, if you walk up to a fastpass line and wave a wheelchair key at the castmemeber, they'll let you through.

I'm of two minds on that issue. Some WDW hotels are really big and require a rediculous amount of walking to get around. So, I see why some out of shape people would rent them to get around. I'm in pretty good shape, but the walk to my room in Kidani or the trek across the grounds at POR are alot even for me after a day at Epcot. And there's really no way to not load them into the bus first without running someone over.

At the same times, I've missed reservations because 3 wheel chairs roll up together with a party of 15 and have to wait for the second bus. I've travelled with people who needed wheelchairs for the parks, but not really for the hotel, that rented scooters anyway to not have to wait for/stand on busses when leaving the park at night. It was helpful for that person, but not really necesarry. Is that abusing the system? I'm not even sure.

But, GAC/DAS changes are all fine and dandy, but if they don't change the wheelchair policies as well, that could quickly become the new problem area. The conspiracy theorist in me, might even suggest that Disney stands to make alot of money if they increased their wheelchair rental stock. If they increase the quantity and let that stand as a free fastpass, then you are basically giving peoiple an option to pay for front of the line access in the form of a wheelchair rental. But it would be paranoid to think DIsney could do something like that right? :)
I don't know how new this was, but on our recent visit there were signs at ALL the bus stops that stated that a party greater than six would have to board separately. I don't have the exact wording but they would board one 'wheelchair' and up to six people total. If there were more in your party, it was suggested that they would have to meet up at their destination, or on board if the other members could board with the other guests waiting in line.

ml123_9

I doubt this will actually change at all. You don't need a GAC/DAS for your family to cut the line for the bus. Anyone can roll up in a wheel chair and have their entire party board first (even if that part fills half the bus). And you don't need a wheelchair to get the GAC. I think its likely that scooter use might actually increase if it allows any extra access at lines as it can be had by simply coughing up the money for the scooter and not having to deal with the messy job of lying at Guest Relations to get the DAS card. Currently, if you walk up to a fastpass line and wave a wheelchair key at the castmemeber, they'll let you through.

:)

The last line isn't exactly true, at least not in our case. On our one day trip to MK in early August, there were a couple of time's we went to the fastpass entrance pushing my son, who is in a wheelchair, and they didn't let us through right away. Most all of the ride attendants asked for our GAC. I wasn't trying to milk the system, I just didn't have it out of my back pocket quick enough to hand it over. So, at least they did ask. At least in our case.

Witchy Chick

Actually, the guest with the DAS HAS to actually ride the ride. That is one of the problems with the current system. Someone gets a GAC, but then decides they don't want to ride, but everyone in their party gets to go.

I believe that this would be incorrect. The DAS card is for the person with the disability not everyone going with them.

My post was in reference to a parent of an autistic child. Said parent was concerned about approaching THE RIDE in order to "make the reservation." And that said autistic child would meltdown on being AT the ride and not being able TO ride right then and there (i.e that their ride reservation would be later).

I was explaining to that parent that I don't believe the DAS reservations kiosks are actually AT the rides, as there are only to be 4-5 kiosks in each park.

And in a way, the DAS card is for a disabled guest, and "up to five other party members" (as the GAC was).

Gomer

The last line isn't exactly true, at least not in our case. On our one day trip to MK in early August, there were a couple of time's we went to the fastpass entrance pushing my son, who is in a wheelchair, and they didn't let us through right away. Most all of the ride attendants asked for our GAC. I wasn't trying to milk the system, I just didn't have it out of my back pocket quick enough to hand it over. So, at least they did ask. At least in our case.
I should have prefaced that comment with an "in my experience". I am definitely not a cast member and don't have extensive experience. Just basing this off my experience with my mother who was in a wheel chair on my last 2 trips. It became a point of contention between us that I didn't want to use my son's GAC for every ride, so she began taking matters into her own hands and walking into the fastpass line by flashing her wheelchair key and daring us to either follow her or wait on line without her. (Fun trip overall :)) She wasn't stopped once. They would just wave her on through. Perhaps they just didn't feel like arguing with her. I can sympathize. :)

Gomer

My post was in reference to a parent of an autistic child. Said parent was concerned about approaching THE RIDE in order to "make the reservation." And that said autistic child would meltdown on being AT the ride and not being able TO ride right then and there (i.e that their ride reservation would be later).

I was explaining to that parent that I don't believe the DAS reservations kiosks are actually AT the rides, as there are only to be 4-5 kiosks in each park.

And in a way, the DAS card is for a disabled guest, and "up to five other party members" (as the GAC was).

In a way, that system may actually benefit the case of the autistic child with lack of awareness of the need to wait. It could be a blessing to make that reservation away from the ride where the child won't know what reservation is being made. This is better then say, POTC, where you walk up to the ride, then take a seat, then get brought through the back. If you play it right, the child won't know where you are going until you walk up and go right in. Its all a matter of spinning it the right way to the kid. This may not work in cases where the child is fixated on a single ride before going in, which does happen quite a bit, but in cases where you have options and the fixation won't start until you see the sign for the ride, the new system could be better.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I am afraid if I been a passenger on that bus and witnessed her insisting on waking up sleeping kids I would have let fat scotter lady know exactly what I thought of her entitled self aabsorbed behavior! Honestly I am not sure I would have gotten up and moved when the bus driver asked me because I mean really we all know that the Bus driver nor Disney would have done anything. Disabled person in a wheel chair absolutely fat lady in a scooter not so sure we should be so accomadating.

Not always but sometimes guests are"fat" because they are relegated to scooters/mobile devices and cannot effectively exersize due to one of many health issues.

Too many judgemental people on this thread.

ml123_9

I should have prefaced that comment with an "in my experience". I am definitely not a cast member and don't have extensive experience. Just basing this off my experience with my mother who was in a wheel chair on my last 2 trips. It became a point of contention between us that I didn't want to use my son's GAC for every ride, so she began taking matters into her own hands and walking into the fastpass line by flashing her wheelchair key and daring us to either follow her or wait on line without her. (Fun trip overall :)) She wasn't stopped once. They would just wave her on through. Perhaps they just didn't feel like arguing with her. I can sympathize. :)

Yeah, I originally wasn't going to get a GAC because I had always heard that the CM's let everyone through. But I'm glad we did, since we got stopped at all of the ride entrances.

PhotoDave219

Just a thought here.....

If operations enforced the rules as currently written, no changes would be needed.

However its been my multi-year observation that Ops does what is easiest and always takes the path of least resistance....

rct247

Just a thought here.....

If operations enforced the rules as currently written, no changes would be needed.

However its been my multi-year observation that Ops does what is easiest and always takes the path of least resistance....

Not true. Cast member consistency is part of the issue, but is just about as minor as people altering GAC cards. It happens and on occasion, but not as much as people abusing the system at the expense of others who need it and for those who waited fairly in line who don't.

PhotoDave219

Not true. Cast member consistency is part of the issue, but is just about as minor as people altering GAC cards. It happens and on occasion, but not as much as people abusing the system at the expense of others who need it and for those who waited fairly in line who don't.

So how does changing the system discourage people from abusing it? They'll look at it as a free fastpass.

Nothing will change.

TP2000

So, what I cannot understand is why a family cannot get a time, grab a snack, then get the same special treatment they have always gotten? Seems like built in breaks could be very helpful.

I can't understand that either. :confused:

And that's about what it boils down to between the GAC and Non-GAC people who visit Disney parks regularly. Most of the non-wheelchair GAC folks insist they must have unregulated and instant access to any ride in any park with minimal waiting and/or standing, or else they will have "meltdowns" or be "in pain". A separate Fastpass-style system (now called DAS) where they receive a ride reservation time based on the length of the line is unacceptable, even if it means they get to use the DAS card and also have access to the Fastpass systems that everyone else uses.

Oh, and they also want to be treated equally and fairly, which is what the disabled activists fought so hard for to get the ADA law passed in the late 1980's and was proudly signed into law by President Bush in '90.

But so many GAC users now can't be asked to juggle their theme park visits around plentiful ride reservation times for them that cut out waiting in line. That's not possible for them, and their family deserves better service than your family and Disney has to give it to them or else.

The mind boggles on how they exist beyond Disney property and go to any restaurant, or government office, or doctors offices, or travel by plane, or drive thru rush hour traffic, or shop at malls and big box stores, or do any of the other things in life that involve waiting in line and dealing with unexpected and lengthy delays to receive goods or services.

Goofyernmost

Well, something that I seem to do more and more the older I get, I quoted the wrong post or I just misread it. Who knew? I was referring to one that said that the card holder doesn't have to be on the ride for it to work for the group, I think. Sorry, about that. I'd look it up, but, it's not all that important at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom