Future Theme (and name) for Hollywood Studios

FettFan

"Disney's California Adventure (in Florida)".

Also known as: "DCAF".
wilbur-curtis-70280200403-glass-decaf-coffee-decanter-with-orange-text-orange-imprint-and-decaf-only-logo-3-case.jpg

Last edited:

Robbiem

Well universal studios has no studio aspects about it anymore and no one complains about the name. The only change i could see would be calling it Disney Fox Studios or something if the merger goes through

my Family used to just call it MGM, the last decade or so we’ve just called it disney studios. I know it’s basically just like universal studios but that’s how we’ve always seen the park anyways. Some similar attractions just done better in DHS, RnRC compared to RRR, Star Tours to Simpsons, ToT to Mummy, TSMM to MiB (can be a toss up, I personally like the sets of MiB over 3d), muppets over shrek. Not sure if Walt Disney Studios is better but I think studios should be in the name if they still call EPCOT EPCOT and that’s not really what EPCOT was supposed to be

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All the public spaces of DHS is themed to Hollywood/LA of various eras (albeit in the form of a Hollywood facade that never was and always will be). This includes some obvious Hollywood studio buildings (big pink boxes) and some set pieces, which are obvious set pieces (looking at you, backside of the AT-AT). They just recently doubled down on the L.A. theme with Grand Ave.

The word 'studio' was originally used for a large space for painting. It then took on the meaning for a place of any artistic endeavor. A photographer takes pictures in a 'studio.' Movies shoot in 'studio buildings' and on 'studio lots.' Then the word began to be used for the company and not just their space: A photographer would refer to their company as a 'studio' and film companies took on the the name 'studio' or 'studios'.

In DHS you will see attractions from: Disney Studios; Disney Animation Studios; Disney TV Studios; Pixar Studio; LucasFilm studios; and Marvel Studios. So, that's all the Disney studios. Studios that are owned by Disney.

In a Hollywood themed park.

Disney. Hollywood. Studios.

No need for a name change. The 'studio' is no longer referring to a place where movies/TV is made (which ended long ago), but to the companies that make movies. And we get to 'ride the movie.'

And yes, Iger did blurt out the name would change, but never revealed it. A survey went out last year asking guest what they thought of various awful names. Jim Hill 'leaked' that Disney was set on "Cinemagine.' Internet freaked out leading to the Disney Park Blog saying that the name wasn't changing. We're not sure if they said that because they were going with Cinemagine and killed it because of the negative reaction, or, they already decided not to change the name, but just wanted to calm things down regarding the freak out.

FettFan

Well universal studios has no studio aspects about it anymore and no one complains about the name. The only change i could see would be calling it Disney Fox Studios or something if the merger goes through

I don't think Universal Orlando ever had a studio aspect to it. It was just rides based on movies, only you'd have monitors in the queue introducing each movie and showing behind the scenes clips.

I don't think Universal Orlando ever had a studio aspect to it. It was just rides based on movies, only you'd have monitors in the queue introducing each movie and showing behind the scenes clips.

You’re right I don’t think universal studios ever filmed things there except when they had Nickelodeon studios I think they did double dare and Clarissa explains it all filming. Then universal and mgm had similar opening day attractions like catastrophe canyon and earthquake, sounds dangerous (can’t remember the original name) and the Alfred Hitchcock show, and Indy stunt show and Wild West stunt show. Disney had soundstage and filmed on the backlot at times

disneygeek90

I don't think HS is a bad name, really. The park is focusing on movies, now more than ever. While it's not necessarily a "studio," I don't think it's that far off as many of the attractions are now taking you into a movie. I would just assume they keep it, they've been open 30 years, they don't need a new name every decade.

scarr13311

I was just thinking about all this this morning. When we first started going, MGM was still somewhat of a working studio. On one backstage tour we saw Carrot Top (comedian) doing some voice overs. I loved the streets sets of NY and San Francisco. I especially liked TGMR. I love watching old movies at home so I new all the movies featured. At that time it was my favorite park. I loved the theming of the good old days of Hollywood. But now, like the OP said, it really doesn't fit the name; HS. Now it's just an IP park. It also looks like the plan is to do the same thing with EPCOT. I hate what they did to Norway and what does the new ride at the previous Ellen ride have to do with the idea of EPCOT. Don't get me wrong, I love going but the magic is slowly fading. If WDW is going to be like Universal, I guess I can just go to Universal.

One more thing: So with all the new IP attractions, why is RnRcoaster still there. BOB IGOR, TEAR DOWN THIS RIDE!!!!! (sarcasm for those of you who can't.........)

Just my opinion but I think the problem is Disney is trying to stay ahead of Universal and along the way the Magic is slowly fading. I agree if Disney wants to be like Universal then we should all go there.

Tom P.

Am I the only one who thinks the current name is fine?

It's true that most movies are not made in Hollywood anymore. Even among the big studios, I believe Paramount Pictures is the only one actually physically located in Hollywood proper. But that doesn't change the fact that the term "Hollywood" has become a generic term to refer to the film industry, not just a reference to that one particular neighborhood of Los Angeles.

Although the park may not have one, clear, cohesive theme in the sense that it did when it was Disney-MGM Studios, it is still obviously focused on movies. Given that, I think Disney's Hollywood Studios works just fine.

tl77

If they are sticking with DHS that's fine with me, I still call it MGM unintentionally. If they did change it though, I always liked that the mural in the load area of The Great Movie Ride included the original Hollywood sign which read HOLLYWOODLAND "Disney's Hollywood Land" would be a good description of what the park is becoming while still representing it's past... but DHS works, I don't know that it really needs a third name change

tonymu

Premium Member
If they are sticking with DHS that's fine with me, I still call it MGM unintentionally. If they did change it though, I always liked that the mural in the load area of The Great Movie Ride included the original Hollywood sign which read HOLLYWOODLAND "Disney's Hollywood Land" would be a good description of what the park is becoming while still representing it's past... but DHS works, I don't know that it really needs a third name change
And DHL would be confusing! (I still call it MGM....)

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Tbh I really can't see them changing the name from DHS now, if they were going to do it they would have done it before TSL and SW:GE started construction, but after they announced the name would be staying for now I don't think they will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom