Rumor Future of the Matterhorn?

Phroobar

I can't see them getting rid of the Matterhorn completely. If we think people are going nuts for a re-theme of Splash Mountain, just have Disney announce they are destroying the Matterhorn, one of Walt's loved rides...I think if it can be fixed, please fix it- just don't retime with Frozen or something else with snow :)
People go nuts when a trashcan is moved. Somehow the moving of a trashcan means the ride will close for a retheming.

I wonder how much of the general park going public (not forum users or social media geeks) would have a problem with a rebuilt Matterhorn.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I support a track replacement. But if Matterhorn were to ever be permanently removed, that would certainly be the end for me.
Removed completely and never replaced, I wouldn't think so. But replaced as to no longer be the original mountain yes I would expect that to happen at some point due to its current structural issues. Only so much duct tape and baling wire fixes that can be done before an entire replacement is needed.

Dear Prudence

Do people (like YouTubers) who advocate for the Matterhorn removal know that they can just not ride it, and that (in case of the YouTubers) they can just...go to the parks less? 😐🙃

Californian Elitist

Removed completely and never replaced, I wouldn't think so. But replaced as to no longer be the original mountain yes I would expect that to happen at some point due to its current structural issues. Only so much duct tape and baling wire fixes that can be done before an entire replacement is needed.
And that’s fine with me. It’s already not the exact same Matterhorn as it was in 1959, which is expected, of course. I’m all for plussing it, maintenance, and an overall better ride experience. I just don’t want to see it gone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And that’s fine with me. It’s already not the exact same Matterhorn as it was in 1959, which is expected, of course. I’m all for plussing it, maintenance, and an overall better ride experience. I just don’t want to see it gone.
I wouldn't want it gone either.

But....I suspect that in order to keep it via a replacement somethings in that area might need to go like large chucks of either the lagoon or Autopia. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that Disney has started to sketched out ideas for what the Park will look like at the 100 yr anniversary, call it Project DL2055, for all those major refurb/replacement projects that will take the next 30+ years to complete.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I support a track replacement. But if Matterhorn were to ever be permanently removed, that would certainly be the end for me.

Yeah if we're talking bulldozing and not replacing, I'm 100% opposed.

I suppose a track replacement (as was done with Space & BTMR) would be my top choice as well, but I suspect it's not possible given the limitations of the existing structure. IMO a teardown/rebuild (however unlikely under modern leadership) is preferable to the (possibly unsustainable) status quo.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What structure issues does Matterhorn have?
There have been rumors for years about the deterioration of the internal framing. Not to mention the whole issue with the huge section of the mountain falling away back in 2019.

Its the reason why Matterhorn's refurbs get longer and longer every time, WDI appears to be trying to replace sections in stages.

truecoat

There have been rumors for years about the deterioration of the internal framing. Not to mention the whole issue with the huge section of the mountain falling away back in 2019.

Its the reason why Matterhorn's refurbs get longer and longer every time, WDI appears to be trying to replace sections in stages.

If the metal structure is fine, the parts falling away can all be replaced. It would take 1 Disney year to do it. Disney years are measured in 3 of our years or 12 financial quarters.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If the metal structure is fine, the parts falling away can all be replaced. It would take 1 Disney year to do it. Disney years are measured in 3 of our years or 12 financial quarters.
I don't know the extent of the damage, but the rumors have been that its pretty extensive especially wood rot in sections. And again not to mention the entire section of the mountain that fell apart just in 2019. It gets expensive year after year to deal with that stuff.

So don't know if it can continued to be repaired enough to last another 60+ years, or if its even financially worth it. At a certain point it gets too expensive to repair and replacement is the only option.

DLR92

I don't know the extent of the damage, but the rumors have been that its pretty extensive especially wood rot in sections. And again not to mention the entire section of the mountain that fell apart just in 2019. It gets expensive year after year to deal with that stuff.

So don't know if it can continued to be repaired enough to last another 60+ years, or if its even financially worth it. At a certain point it gets too expensive to repair and replacement is the only option.
This is interesting. I wonder if the section that did fell apart was seen externally? It seem rebuilt will be inevitable then regardless.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is interesting. I wonder if the section that did fell apart was seen externally? It seem rebuilt will be inevitable then regardless.
It was seen externally, you can do a search and see pics of it, it was huge hole. There was even a thread about it here at one point.

180º

Isn’t Matterhorn’s superstructure made of wood?

truecoat

Isn’t Matterhorn’s superstructure made of wood?

No.
matterhornconstr1959-wr.jpg

el_super

Technically yes, depending on how you want to define superstructure. The framing was done in steel, but the mountain shell itself was built with wood. They started replacing the wood framing back in the 1999s though.

The problem isn't with the steel structure itself, it's with the concrete and gunnite shell attached to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom