Rumor Future of the Matterhorn?

Nland316

Original Poster
Want to start off this thread by saying I’m in no way trying to scare or concern anybody, but I think this is a topic worthy of discussion. Especially as we’ve had numerous rumors flying around about a TL expansion as well as FL expansion within the last few years.

It’s to my understanding the the Matterhorn as a structure is becoming more expensive to maintain each year, and is eventually going to get to the point that something will have to be done to it. Maybe sooner rather than later.

Given that the attraction is grandfathered in, a full rebuild would require a lot more space and clearance regulations than are currently required for the attraction.

It is arguably the most iconic structure in the entire resort so I’m really curious what we think should and will happen to it when the time comes? Are we expecting a full rebuild? The attraction getting the axe?

It is located in the same area as the subs and Autopia which have been rumored to be on the chopping block for years. I think any progressive talks of any expansion have to deal with the question of what becomes of the Matterhorn.

Professortango1

I'd love to see a two track mountain coaster built over Subs/Autopia. The FL entrance being in the MBC area. And the TL entrance being in the Autopia loading area. Theme it to fire and ice with volcanic activity on the TL side and small steaming lagoon where the two meet. If Disney was smart, they could have a small Seven Dwarves mine cart darkride travel through the base of the new Matterhorn and loop around over the walkway and to a small outdoor portion where the Matterhorn currently resides. Essentially 3 rides in one mountain. Two similar but different coasters and a C/D ticket darkride with kinetic energy.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I vote bulldoze and rebuild.

Hire Rocky Mountain Construction to design two single-rail coaster tracks that will race, duel, and dodge the Yeti via sudden drops and turns (and all of RMC's signature wild maneuvers) inside a newly-imagined mountain.

This will require more space, so build the upper section of the mountain to similar dimensions as the original (so it looks more or less the same as ever from most angles) but expand the lower half of the mountain into something of a mountain range that stretches into the northeast corner of the park. Temporarily bulldoze Autopia, the subs, and that portion of the Monorail for future reimagining. The mountain range will house the show building for an expanded version of Epcot's Frozen Ever After while also serving as a berm to conceal the skyline of the all-new mid-century retro-future Tomorrowland... etc etc etc

In short, let’s just rebuild the entire eastern side of the park.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Want to start off this thread by saying I’m in no way trying to scare or concern anybody, but I think this is a topic worthy of discussion. Especially as we’ve had numerous rumors flying around about a TL expansion as well as FL expansion within the last few years.

It’s to my understanding the the Matterhorn as a structure is becoming more expensive to maintain each year, and is eventually going to get to the point that something will have to be done to it. Maybe sooner rather than later.

Given that the attraction is grandfathered in, a full rebuild would require a lot more space and clearance regulations than are currently required for the attraction.

It is arguably the most iconic structure in the entire resort so I’m really curious what we think should and will happen to it when the time comes? Are we expecting a full rebuild? The attraction getting the axe?

It is located in the same area as the subs and Autopia which have been rumored to be on the chopping block for years. I think any progressive talks of any expansion have to deal with the question of what becomes of the Matterhorn.

I think if and when the Matterhorn needs to be rebuilt they ll find a way to do it. And that may finally be the end of Autopia.

Screamface

I assume a thorough tear down and reconstruction is what they'd do. I would entirely be fore redeveloping that whole part of the park. I have no great love of Nemo or the Autopia. Not that I have been on either of them for a long time. When I was last there in 2019, The Submarine's had one of the longest wait times. So I guess it must be popular with kids.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I love the idea of Autopia and the subs. As Tony Baxter often points out, Autopia is many children’s first driving experience, while the subs contribute to the diversity of experiences one can have at Disneyland. So both are valuable.

But surely both could be done infinitely better. You couldn’t build a better pirate ride or haunted house or runaway mine train. You could definitely build a better subs ride.

Since it's probably impossible to replace the Matterhorn track without tearing down the entire structure, it wouldn't be the worst idea to reimagine the entire northeast corner of the park while they're at it. It's not totally out of the realm of possibility; if I recall correctly, Disney initially considered building Galaxy's Edge in that back corner. Under the current regime, of course, nothing will happen.

cookiee_munster

I didn't realise just how large of an area the matterhorn, subs and autopia takes up. it's pretty much the size of one land. Then there's the monorail running through the autopia area. Quite a lot to contend with.

I'm not sure if it would be possible. But having some kind of version of Disney Sea's mysterious Island (but rather than a volcano just a mountain) and then have the sea's version of 20K a "dry" version and replace autopia with aquatopia and journey to the centre of the earth being the main E-Ticket of the land. Seems like it would be an awful lot to cram into one area though.

EPCOTCenterLover

I didn't realise just how large of an area the matterhorn, subs and autopia takes up. it's pretty much the size of one land. Then there's the monorail running through the autopia area. Quite a lot to contend with.

I'm not sure if it would be possible. But having some kind of version of Disney Sea's mysterious Island (but rather than a volcano just a mountain) and then have the sea's version of 20K a "dry" version and replace autopia with aquatopia and journey to the centre of the earth being the main E-Ticket of the land. Seems like it would be an awful lot to cram into one area though.
They almost did build something like what you’re suggesting.
Read https://insightsandsounds.blogspot.com/2017/03/rare-art-for-disneylands-unbuilt.html

mikenatcity1

I can't see them getting rid of the Matterhorn completely. If we think people are going nuts for a re-theme of Splash Mountain, just have Disney announce they are destroying the Matterhorn, one of Walt's loved rides...I think if it can be fixed, please fix it- just don't retime with Frozen or something else with snow :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom